News   Mar 28, 2024
 74     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Adam Vaughan, Shelley Carroll consider mayoral run in 2014

Maybe they can.

One thing is for sure, the city loses with another term of the brothers Fraud.

Probably won't be very successful because their appeal is limited to downtown/North York, but it really depends on how they run their campaigns and whether they're able to reach out to the suburbs.

Stintz should run. I think she'd have a good chance:

- Conservative, but
- Open to facts and reason, and
- Ability to build consensus

Last edited:
Whatever one's politics, and w/e one thinks of Ms. Carroll........downtown???

She's a North York Councillor (Don Mills/Sheppard area).

She wins her ward w/o difficulty.

Moreover, if you look at the composition of council there are 3 other 'Millerites' who were re-elected in North York. Augimeri, Perruza and Filion.

Let's at least keep the critique's factual.

Selfishly, I don't want Vaughan to run. I think he'd be an awesome mayor but I'd be concerned about him potentially losing and not being on council at all. We need smart city builders on council and his voice would be sorely missed if he didn't win.

I appreciate Vaughan's contribution to the city, but if I was running Ford's campaign against him the first thing I'd do is print up phony dictionary pages with Vaughan's picture as the definition for 'downtown elite'. It would be easy to portray the guy as smug and smarmy, and that's the worst way to be for many people in the suburbs.

I don't really understand the attraction of Carroll. In council meetings she often seems more deficit disordered than others, disrupting the speeches of those around her (Thompson, del Grande) with her side chatter. And some of her speeches are strange imports from high school drama class (letters to her daughter, conversations with Dalton McGuinty) that would leave potential voters rolling their eyes.

Stintz handled the last couple of months really well, neatly sidestepping what could have been bitter personality wars. And I'd like to see someone come more from the middle or even the middle-right than the left, as this might neutralize Ford's appeal for those worried about the cost of government.

Both of them should probably discuss tactics with the rest of the middle and the left of city council before running. I would hate to see a lack of strategy resulting in another Ford win.

Miller won. Hall won.

Hall was mayor of Old Toronto; pre-amalgamation.

I think Vaughan would make a good mayor. But if Ford ran, he'd run the worst possible smear campaign against him. Ford's created an iron curtain in this city and is doing everything he can to fortify it. The "with us, or against us" mentality seems to hold with those of lesser intellect.

Last edited:
There are the people who Vaughan and Carroll will need to speak out to- especially some who don't have a constant source of multiple viewports and thus see Ford as what the Sun, CP24, CityNews and the AM talk shows depict him as.

E.g. notions that Ford is honest, sticking to his principles, that he's someone coming in to shake things up, that people opposing him are trying to take power.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...s-one-year-later/article2386370/?from=2387822

Miller won. Hall won.

Hall *nearly* won in the first megaelection of 1997--and probably would have won or dead-heated it if it weren't for North York giving its native son Mel a landslide.

Though incredibly enough, it was considered a bit of a shocker when Hall won in the former city of Toronto in '94--the eternality of Art Eggleton followed by Rowlands' victory over Layton made many on the left despair than anyone on "their side" (and remember that Hall was NDP-caucus in 1994) could ever win again. And this is the *former* city we're talking about. Not the suburbs robbing the urbans, but the middle/upper-middle LibTory North Torontoans, Beachesers, Bloor Westers robbing the inner-cityers...

How far we've come is remarkable. (That said, I wouldn't bank exclusively upon Vaughan or Carroll--indeed, as I've offered before, I can see a Michael Thompson taking over from a disgraced Rob Ford on a "stay-the-right-of-centre course" platform, and winning.)

Selfishly, I don't want Vaughan to run. I think he'd be an awesome mayor but I'd be concerned about him potentially losing and not being on council at all. We need smart city builders on council and his voice would be sorely missed if he didn't win.
Yeah, same.

This all has more to do with their ability to win a mayoral election and not so much on their supposed effectiveness as mayor.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if potential candidates from all points on the spectrum can agree on a single anyone-but-Ford candidate. At this stage the only person I can see fulfilling that role is Stintz.

Hahaha, she is a switch-hitter........ Stintz most likely will be chewed up, or burnt out by election time.
The days of a left-leaning mayor getting elected in this city are pretty well over ...Id say, the next mayor of Toronto will be a centre-right outsider

Hahaha, she is a switch-hitter........ Stintz most likely will be chewed up, or burnt out by election time.

What do you mean by 'switch-hitter?' Why would Stintz be more burned out than, say, Doug Ford, who's already whingeing about the political spotlight?

The days of a left-leaning mayor getting elected in this city are pretty well over ...Id say, the next mayor of Toronto will be a centre-right outsider

You might be correct, but to say that ANY part of the political spectrum cannot elect a mayor in Toronto is to completely ignore the last 6 or so elections.

Back