Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow, i dont get it.. no one wants to be the first to start a new thread on Torontos first potential supertall...
.Hey, i been all along criticized to be a tall tower fantasiser
so here goes....It gives me great pleasure to post this.....
e5000533.gif
Cheers

Holy Mackerel, could this be the big one....someone please fill in the blanks
From city planning today, Development Projects

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District
Related Applications
OPA / Rezoning
Application Number 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Application Status ---
Planner Name
Phone Number --- Status Date ---
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 22, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) ---

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) ---
Lot Size (sq m) ---
Proposed Residential Units ---
Proposed Storeys ---

From City of Toronto:

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Related Applications

OPA / Rezoning

Redevelopment of Holt Renfrew Site with a mixed-use condo development inclusive of existing and new space. It will include one 83-storey residential tower rising from an 8-storey commercial podium containing Holt Renfrew department store as well as other retail and service uses.
Application Number 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number --- Status Date Mar 22, 2012
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 22, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 18,835

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 71,780
Lot Size (sq m) 5,920
Proposed Residential Units 600
Proposed Storeys 83
AoD

Last edited:
Wow! 83s on top of 8s? or 83s in total? 83 +8, might give us our first supertall.

Wow, that is big. Here's to hoping it's absolutely spectacular and not just sort of nice. Thanks for the info, and congratulations on being the first to officially proclaim this one!

Haha, just noticed that (very appropriately) the first three posts all began with 'wow'.

As I posted on the Supertall and Near-Supertall Speculation thread before this thread was created, 83s (75s residential + 8s commercial) puts this building at right around the height of FCP (298m). 64cup pointed out that it makes sense that this project would be just a bit taller than FCP for marketing purposes, so we very likely are looking at Toronto's first official Supertall.

sure sounds interesting ... I'm excited to see some proposed elevations & plans ... anyone know who the builder is?

sure sounds interesting ... I'm excited to see some proposed elevations & plans ... anyone know who the builder is?

Oxford. They are also doing the nearby Cumberland Terrace project, which also looks to have been supersized from what I hear (two tallish towers -- 45s and 36s -- have been redesigned into a single tower).

Last edited:
As I posted on the Supertall and Near-Supertall Speculation thread before this thread was created, 83s (75s residential + 8s commercial) puts this building at right around the height of FCP (298m). 64cup pointed out that it makes sense that this project would be just a bit taller than FCP for marketing purposes, so we very likely are looking at Toronto's first official Supertall.

I remember the 64Cup too, but, in fact, my handle is 67Cup. (For any despairing Leaf fans - and are there any non-despairing Leaf fans right now - that 64 team lost a whack of games in a row too but did recover in time to win the cup. Not that this is even possible anymore for this year but a losing streak is not necessarily the end of all hope.)

I do think that it is psychologically very unlikely that a developer would build a structure that size to match or just fall short of the tallest building in Canada. The marketing possibilities of just exceeding FCP are too juicy to miss out on.

I'm confused regarding the "83 stories rising out of an 8 story podium"

My interpretation of that would be a total of 91 stories. However the last line states that there are 83 proposed stories.

Previous applications include podium stories as part of the total story count, correct?

Wish that could be clarified because 91 stories is significantly taller, especially considering the 8 stories on the podium would generally have much higher ceilings

Last edited:
We all knew this was coming, but wow, it's still good to hear someone stepping up. Hopefully this will be an architectural masterpiece that will
set the tone for other large projects to come. When is it going to end. It seems like every week there is something bigger and better.

Oxford. They are also doing the nearby Cumberland Terrace project, which also looks to have been supersized from what I hear (two tallish towers -- 45s and 36s -- have been redesigned into a single tower).

If Oxford is indeed the developer here, then I think I know who the architect might be. I had previously suspected that Cumberland Terrace was the site to which my info related, but now I'm thinking that it's the Holt's site, especially given the size of the proposal. If my suspicions are right, UT is going to lose its shit.

Back