News   Apr 17, 2024
 259     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Former Globe and Mail Lands Redevelopment

400WellingtonGuy

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a thread about the Globe and Mail lands which are currently for sale. This has nothing to do with the new headquarters. There is a separate thread for that building.

Here's the latest information I have about the sale. RBC Capital is reporting to those who inquire that a deal is very close with a buyer. They are saying nothing more than that at the moment. This information is two days old.

If anyone has heard anything, rumour or otherwise, let's speculate together.

I pray every night that it is not Concord Adex. Maybe too hard.

He means the existing G&M building, hence his implied fear of a big developer coming in and ostensibly ruining his view from 400 Wellington.

^^He's afraid of Concord Adex coming in to ruin his view of other Concord Adex buildings?

Where is the former Globe and Mail lands?

Excluding the Stantec building (401 Wellington) and the Toyota dealership - where the new G&M building will go - the Globe and Mail lands are roughly defined as being east of the Draper Street cottages between Wellington and Front Street.

It's a healthy chunk of property.

Lets hope the developer that buys here well set a precedent to the rest of North Front/Wellington street, with good architicutre (mid-rise/15s-18s), greenspace, and retail. ...Context Dev. might just be the right fit for this type of development.

^^He's afraid of Concord Adex coming in to ruin his view of other Concord Adex buildings?

Exactly, looking east is my great view. Its amazing how newbies come on this site and think they know everything.

Concord Adex will give us s#%t architecture. "Staunch urbanists" shoud be able to figure that one out on their own.

Lets hope the developer that buys here well set a precedent to the rest of North Front/Wellington street, with good architicutre (mid-rise/15s-18s), greenspace, and retail. ...Context Dev. might just be the right fit for this type of development.

Howard Cohen does not have deep enough pockets for this buy alone unfortunately. All we can hope for is an international coming in and partnering with a local developer with the connections.

Anyone want to start a hypothetical list?

I agree, this is a perfect opportunity to solidify a great neighbourhood.

Howard Cohen does not have deep enough pockets for this buy alone unfortunately. All we can hope for is an international coming in and partnering with a local developer with the connections.

Anyone want to start a hypothetical list?

Westbank is a large developer from BC that has great design initiatives for their projects. ie. Shangri-La, upcoming Bjarke Ingels projects for Vancouver and Toronto. And in terms of fine midrise buildings, the Shutters building in Victoria. This suggestion is totally hypothetical of course, but would be a great developer to have working with this site.

Last edited:
Maybe Cityzen, Pier 27/The Shores seem to be great low/mid-rise developments
Makes me jealous to see some of the architecture we are missing out on....check out Amsterdam
from SCC.................http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=112693&page=13 14 15 etc..

Yeah, the Europeans design beautiful contemporary architecture. The new projects in the area (Context King West & Minto/Freed) show some Euro influence. It would be awesome if they continue the CKW "lanes" concept with future developments. Opportunity to turn this area into the next Yorkville with some good retail and restaurants and bars.

Lets hope the developer that buys here well set a precedent to the rest of North Front/Wellington street, with good architicutre (mid-rise/15s-18s), greenspace, and retail.

You see, there are things we can agree on.

With respect to Context, an effort to build a pedestrian-friendly, mid-block grid of walk-ways that feature things like retail, cafes and galleries would be perfect for the neighbourhood. With the eventual rehabilitation of Wellington Street, this area could be developed into a real gem.

Former Globe and Mail Lands (?, Hariri Pontarini Architects?)

News of the Day!

This got out yesterday, so I have started a new dedicated thread.
This will be interesting because it will either be a huge disaster or a new approach for this area. Let's hope for the latter. I am trying to find out purchase value, so any insiders out there, speak up.

It appears David Pontarini is helping them out with planning the huge parcel at the moment and that's a good thing.

Back