Toronto 31 - 37 Helendale Avenue | 71.93m | 24s | Comare

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init

31 HELENDALE AVE

Ward 16
- North York OPA / Rezoning 12 141927 NNY 16 OZ Mar 23,
2012 ---

Rezoning application to permit the re-development for the lands for the purposes of a new residential building consisting of a 24 storey apartment building atop a 5 storey podium fronting onto the south side of Helendale Ave. Included in the proposal is the replacement of the existing rental residential dwelling units located in the existing residential buildings on site . 148 parking spaces located in a below grade parking facility would be provided on site.

I searched up the location of this address (near Yonge & Eglinton) and this proposal appears to be replacing these apartment buildings.

7010909993_20715bfaec_b.jpg

This makes perfect sense, and its right beside the other development (Neon condos) that is under construction now.

Since forever ? : )

Actually it really depends where abouts in Yonge and Eglinton you refer too, the border is actually around Eglinton so many of these condos built north of Eglinton are in North York proper.

Nope, not true. At Yonge, North York didn't start 'til north of Lawrence. Here's the Wikimedia map of pre-amalgamation Metro:

800px-Toronto_map.jpg

I'll change the thread title.

Last edited:
Yonge & Eglinton is a divided area.

Correct, pre-Amalgamation the area was a Toronto district. Now we have a terrible situation where the YE area is divided between 3 councillors (Stintz, Robinson & Matlow), 2 Community Councils (North York & Toronto East York) and 2 Planning Departments (North District and South District). This is not a good thing given that the area is undergoing the greatest intensification it has ever seen. If Matlow wanted to attend a Public Meeting (Comm Council), he can't since both Comm Council Meetings are held on the same day. The difference between the two Planning Depts is like night and day. The North York boys are like cowboys controlling the Wild West and the South District does a lot of outreach in community-based planning. The North York Community Planning people leave a lot to be desired!

Very useful information Patrick Smyth--in looking at meeting reports of the Community councils on the City of Toronto website I was confused as to why North York was dealing with developments that were close to Yonge and Eglinton, which I took to be Toronto, based on the old city boundary above.

Do you mean to say that North York planning lets anything go through?

Last edited:
ARECA Walk in search of a Park.

North York planning lets anything go through?

I don't have much good to say about the North York Community Planning Department. (To give it its full and comical name.) Reference has been made to the NEON application and it was how the NYCPD handled that one I use in support of my contention that planning in Ward 16 is more political than professional. The guys who conspired on pushing that one through "the process" have been moved on or promoted leaving a decent bunch of planners. However, they will have trouble living it down. The NEON is just plain offensive and Karen Stinz will "own" it wherever her political ambitions take her. (Just as Anne Johnston "owns" the nearby 500 Duplex Avenue monstrosity.) This site is where the NEON would have been acceptable and it's good that the planner on the case is recommending a review of the whole block - something that should have started long ago. ARECA - the local community association - has taken some initiative by promoting the Eglinton MidTown Plan (http://midtownplan.ca). The whole of MidTown deserves an updated plan in support of the Yonge/Eglinton Secondary Plan. We've taken the approach of compensating for a weak and divided planning department. This vibrant and alarmingly intensifying area is split between two TO Planning Districts, two Community Councils and among three City councillors. Hardly conducive to good and comprehensive planning, eh? What concerns us most as local residents is how the public realm is getting so little consideration. The NEON building is even gobbling up some of that! With over 15,000 more residents coming into the area, it's a no-brainer to improve the public realm at least as fast as the private realm is improving. Our sidewalks are puny, a throw-back to the days when the area was mostly single family dwellings. We've been parks-deficient officially since 1967 and RioCan will soon be closing-in the remaining open space at the corner of Yonge and Eglinton - go figure! It's time for another revolt which is why we're setting off on a Walk to find a Park (http://areca.info) on Saturday June 16 at 11am from the site of the Yonge Street Battle during the Upper Canada rebellion, currently a Post Office (http://midtownplan.ca/YEwalk) building just north of Eglinton. Anybody interested in good planning is welcome to join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back