Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

CanadianNational

Member Bio
Reaction score
churchandcarlton1-1.png

Sorry that this is just heresay. But, word is that the two buildings on the north-east corner of Church and Carlton have been sold to one buyer, for about $14 million.
If any of this is true, it looks like Maple Leaf Medical will be moving to Yonge and Carlton.

Last edited:
It's a big lot and opposite Maple Leaf Gardens. I hope we end up with something fitting; a 40-50 floor glass condo tower would be a let down. Something special like 100 Adelaide St. West would be great.

Last edited:
It's a big lot and opposite Maple Leaf Gardens. I hope we end up with something fitting; a 40-50 floor glass condo tower would be a let down.

what's the let down .. the glass tower, or the height?

the height would be appropriate but i've seen too many glass buildings for awhile

what's the let down .. the glass tower, or the height?

the height would be appropriate but i've seen too many glass buildings for awhile

The let down would be to see something we've seen 50+ times all over the city. There's a big drop off in sophistication as one moves north of the CBD. This would be a golden opportunity to build something on the level of Scotia Plaza and extend that big city downtown feel further north. MLG is right next door, so we wouldn't be starting from scratch.

I'm tired of glass too, but wouldn't mind if we got a sizable office building here and eventually another one on the southwest corner. College subway is just a block away. This is a great spot to build office.

Last edited:
If they've also got the parking lot to the north they could probably manage to build something significant. Not sure if it's necessarily a corner that could support something that large tho. And there's going to be shadowing concerns with the school playground to the north.

Personally I'd be happy if this was something 15-20 storeys, with tremendous thought put into the street level. It's a chance to pull the village a bit further south

This is an excellent candidate for intensification. The revival of MLG again into a hot spot has made this forgotten intersection relevant again. I'm all for re-integrating dodgy parts of the eastside back into the downtown mainstream but I don't believe that height is necessarily a significant factor in determining a merit of a building. I appreciate tall buildings but its all about I think it all depends on situation and location. Proper city planning should be quality over quantity. IMO, a tower 30-50 floors is perfectly appropriate for this location. We all want more office space downtown but I don't see this as a likely spot for such usage, being so far away from the tradition core.

The sale is also not yet an announcement of any kind of development. Though the speculation about Maple Leaf Medical moving to Yonge might point in that direction, and the MLS revitalization would seem to make it a natural.
As far as I've heard, it's only the two buildings fronting Carlton that have been sold, not necessarily the lot behind them. I don't know what the status of that lot is now, but years ago it was earmarked for affordable housing - the second part of the co-op to the immediate east of it.

I don't want to get people's hopes up without some kind of proof, so if anyone can find any kind of verification of this, that'd be great.

Last edited:
Although the building that houses Zipperz is an out and out dump, it has a bit of character (though all I can cite is the vintage tiling in the bogs). Neither building is by any means a gem, but I think they'd be easy to facadectomize, and worthwhile given the stylistic harmony with MLG.

If this rumour is true, I'm happy to see these two buildings being redeveloped - they're both a blight on the streetscape. The stretch of Carlton between Church - Sherbourne is dreadful but it's definitely got lots of potential given the incremental redevelopment going on and the imminent Allen Gardens Revitalization.

A big name bought the land encompassing the medical clinic, Zippers, and the large parking lot just North.

Taken from the Loblaws thread 6 months ago:)

O-M-G. Windows!
That's great to see. This stretch of Church has had an oppressive air of dinge and deadness hanging over it for so long. This is wonderful.

So - anyone wanna guess about how long until those lots (and rather crumbly low deco buildings) across Church street are redeveloped? :)

The N/E corner is aching for development/redevelopment from Carlton up to Wood Street, though I'd lament the loss of Zippers. The problem for a developer here might be shadowing the Church Street Public School playground.

Do you think that would be strictly enforced?
There was a flap about the height of Radio City when it was going up a few years ago, was that established residents - or the school - or both?

The plot of land there is quite large. A big and lovely building that stepped up from Wood street to Carlton south along Church would be quite an asset. It's got the space to handle the massing that could unobtrusively allow forty floors or so.
The two deco buildings there are in bad shape. There's barely enough limestone on them left in good enough shape to repurpose.

I've heard that the parking lot was being reserved for subsidized housing, though I can't back this up.

40 Storeys:
churcarl.jpg

Sorry if this is pulling the thread off topic.

40 stories is way too high, 20-25 at best. No more subsidized housing either, this block is ghettoizing low income individuals and families with three buildings there already.

Back