1.2K     2 

Toronto being "Manhattanized" is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkgg7

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know when such silly comments became popular. I can't help letting it out.

Toronto is very, very sparsely populated where 95% of its land is dominated by 2-3 story wooden houses. Even a 20 story building will stand out at central corners such as Bathurst/Dundas or Queen/Jarvis.

Manhattan has 125+ blocks of mid (6+) and highrises, with very very few 2-3 story super skinny wooden single family houses Toronto is famous for.

In general, the current Toronto bears more resemblance with Queens or Brooklyn, than with Manhattan. Yes, we have a "financial district" where skyscrapers dominate, but it takes like 5 minutes to walk away from it into the rest of the flat city.

I think it is too early to say Toronto is being "Manhattanized". We are simply being modernized. It won't be one third of Manhattan even if the current boom last for another 20 years non-stopping.

Is it me, or it is fair to say Toronto and Manhattan has very very little in common? Even Manhattan's relatively unfamous First Ave is so much more grander than Bloor or University Ave.

I am sure many will say "we don't want to be Manhattan" etc. yep, of course, nobody wants that kind of ultimate urban vibrancy and street life. How aweful is that.

What a troll, hahah.

Manhattan looks like it does because it's an island-like area where it was easier to live than to commute to - at a time when it was the most important port in the continent.

Manhattan and downtown Toronto are nothing alike, but both offer a surprisingly similar lifestyle to many of their inhabitants.

But we shouldn't try and replicate Manhattan and increase density for the sake of it, we might end up with a miserable dysfunctional city like Shanghai. We should concentrate on sustainably increasing the well-being of Toronto's citizens.

Last edited:
new york smells like garbage. I dont think anyone would want to live in that shit hole instead of Toronto.

Someone has never been to New York City. 1 1/2 million live there and they pay dearly for it so there must be something going on there.

Someone has never been to New York City. 1 1/2 million live there and they pay dearly for it so there must be something going on there.

ive been there enough times. a bunch of idiots who lived in small towns move to new york.

anyone with half a brain would live somewhere else.

its cold, it stinks and the people are assholes.

Given that Toronto is much bigger than Manhattan, I wonder what Toronto's density would look like if highrises built throughout the city were condensed into a similar area as Manhattan. Given the combination of sprawl and the number of high-rises located in the old suburbs, I wonder how close Toronto would come to Manhattan's density.

What a troll, hahah.

Manhattan looks like it does because it's an island-like area where it was easier to live than to commute to - at a time when it was the most important port in the continent.

Manhattan and downtown Toronto are nothing alike, but both offer a surprisingly similar lifestyle to many of their inhabitants.

But we shouldn't try and replicate Manhattan and increase density for the sake of it, we might end up with a miserable dysfunctional city like Shanghai. We should concentrate on sustainably increasing the well-being of Toronto's citizens.
Hardly a troll but otherwise good post.

We need more highrises in the outerboroughs.

ive been there enough times. a bunch of idiots who lived in small towns move to new york.

anyone with half a brain would live somewhere else.

its cold, it stinks and the people are assholes.

Last year 15% of all residential sales in New York City were made by overseas-based buyers (most were all-cash deals).

I don't know when such silly comments became popular. I can't help letting it out.

Toronto is very, very sparsely populated where 95% of its land is dominated by 2-3 story wooden houses. Even a 20 story building will stand out at central corners such as Bathurst/Dundas or Queen/Jarvis.

Manhattan has 125+ blocks of mid (6+) and highrises, with very very few 2-3 story super skinny wooden single family houses Toronto is famous for.

In general, the current Toronto bears more resemblance with Queens or Brooklyn, than with Manhattan. Yes, we have a "financial district" where skyscrapers dominate, but it takes like 5 minutes to walk away from it into the rest of the flat city.

I think it is too early to say Toronto is being "Manhattanized". We are simply being modernized. It won't be one third of Manhattan even if the current boom last for another 20 years non-stopping.

Is it me, or it is fair to say Toronto and Manhattan has very very little in common? Even Manhattan's relatively unfamous First Ave is so much more grander than Bloor or University Ave.

I am sure many will say "we don't want to be Manhattan" etc. yep, of course, nobody wants that kind of ultimate urban vibrancy and street life. How aweful is that.

Toronto is densely populated. 7,000 people per square kilometre in the old city isn't extreme but still high and typical of major metropolitan cities. The suburbs are dense for this part of the world and will probably only get denser. For the record, most houses in Toronto obviously have brick masonry, though wood-framed houses with brick facades have become common for infill projects in the last decades and typical of new suburban houses in the 905. Toronto is vibrant with great street life, so if you want a city desperate for that or provincial enough to reject it altogether, you'll have to troll some other city's urban forum. I agree that Toronto may not precisely resemble Manhattan in terms of built form, but there are many ways of achieving a successful built form and lively streets. The city is suavely urban and only growing. You could have just make the point about 'Manhattanization' in the threads where the original comments about the topic were made.

Last edited:
Ah, that kkgg7. The Kahn Souphanousinphone of Urban Toronto.

Khan-souphanousinphone.JPG

Referring to us all as "redneck hillbillies", without recognizing that even his fellow emigres find him an embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back