News   Mar 28, 2024
 258     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 241     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     0 

Eglinton Transit: Interlining at Kennedy Station

What interlining/through-running should be done at Kennedy Station

• Kennedy is terminal for Eglinton, SRT, and Scarborough-Malvern (Transit City)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Through running of SRT with Eglinton

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Through running of Scarborough-Malvern with Eglinton

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Option of interlining both SRT and Scarborough-Malvern with Eglinton

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Eglinton Transit line has already begun construction and there are still several options that could be considered.

1. The original Transit City proposal is to have an in-median, at-grade LRT running from Brentcliffe Ave to just west of Don Mills. At Don Mills, it would be underground for the interchange with the Don Mills LRT, or DRL, whatever will be built. After Don Mills it would be run in-median, at-grade again until about Kennedy Road where it would go underground again. Note that the Eglinton, Scarborough-Malvern, and SRT (running through STC) would all terminate at this station.
2. The Ford Proposal had the entire Eglinton portion from Brentcliffe to Kennedy Station underground, with the SRT portion (going to STC) running straight through to the Eglinton line.
3. Based on many comments from this and other discussion groups, another viable option seems to exist, that is not discussed by any public leads. From Brentcliffe to Don Mills, the line could be on the South side of the road. This would require a new bridge over the Don River West Branch and a pair of tunnels through the CPR embankment. East of Don Mills, the possibility exists to elevate the line until it dips underground at Kennedy similar to the other proposals (or even stays at grade).
4. Although the order has already been placed for LRT vehicles, the supplier, Bombardier can supply many types of vehicles so it still may be possible to alter the contract – although it may be too late at this time. Each technology has advantages and disadvantages.

Based on the above, I have created several polls to see what the UT preferences are. I do not expect this thread to be long lived, but I am curious as to what the preferences are. Many arguments have been made in other threads on the various options, so I hope we do not repeat everything again here - keep your reasoning brief.

This poll is on through running or interlining the Eglinton line with other lines at Kennedy Station.

Last edited:
I need to know how much a subway from Kennedy to stc would cost in comparison to how much the interlining costs. I also need to know if they can interline with a in median eglinton. I didn't vote but i think I'm leaning towards interlining.

The way Kennedy Station is designed now will allow for interlining or separated operation between the SRT and Eglinton, and the SM platform lines up with Eglinton so leaving the design the way it is now will allow for almost any operating mode.

I think it would be better for the line to stay on Eglinton, and terminate at Eglinton GO Station, and just ditch the SRT altogether and either extend the subway or make use of the service that's already there by GO.

The way Kennedy Station is designed now will allow for interlining or separated operation between the SRT and Eglinton, and the SM platform lines up with Eglinton so leaving the design the way it is now will allow for almost any operating mode.

Looking at an EA from 2010, http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/scarborough_rapid_transit/epr/a5_a6_exec_summary.pdf , the SM and Eglinton are at a similar elevation and alignment, but they are not connected. Future connection seems possible, but it does not appear to be in the Transit City plan.

The EA shows that the SRT is at a different elevation than the Eglinton LRT. But I accept that they may have considered the option for interlining.

Last edited:
I need to know how much a subway from Kennedy to stc would cost in comparison to how much the interlining costs. I also need to know if they can interline with a in median eglinton. I didn't vote but i think I'm leaning towards interlining.

I have seen an estimate of $1.9B for the Kennedy to STC subway extension. I am not sure of the interlining costs otherwise, the alignment (vertical and horizontal) for Eglinton and SM seem reasonably compatible, but require a tunnel connection under the GO line. Eglinton to SRT interlining would probably be easiest at/near grade so it could switch to the SRT alignment South-West of the GO/Kennedy intersection - the tight curve would have to be straightened though.

Looking at an EA from 2010, http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/scarborough_rapid_transit/epr/a5_a6_exec_summary.pdf , the SM and Eglinton are at a similar elevation and alignment, but they are not connected. Future connection seems possible, but it does not appear to be in the Transit City plan.

Yes, I was aware of that, I the SM line is ever built then connecting the tracks to Eglinton would be easy and should be done if only for the sake of the track connection, I assume the design did not have them connected as they wanted to leave that decision to the future and avoid design complications with the GO train tracks.

Through running. If SRT usage was vastly larger than Eglinton then extra trains could just do that segment during rush hour.

Is the TTC even going to have through running to STC? Reports I have read, the TTC does not want to operate a single lane to STC from Black Creek.

I voted to terminate as under the current Transit City plan. However, this is also assuming that the SRT has an interchange with the Sheppard line allowing it to become a north-south trunk route, and that the Malvern line is in limbo for the foreseeable future. If rapid transit is to continue along Eglinton east of Kennedy, I think that the Danforth line should be used and then we can talk about interlining Eglinton with the SRT.

Back