News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 258     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 292     0 

Eglinton Transit: Aligment West of Don Mills

What alignment should be used for Eglinton transit between Brentcliffe and Don Mills?

• At-grade – median (Transit City)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Underground (Ford)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • At grade south side

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Elevated

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Eglinton Transit line has already begun construction and there are still several options that could be considered.

1. The original Transit City proposal is to have an in-median, at-grade LRT running from Brentcliffe Ave to just west of Don Mills. At Don Mills, it would be underground for the interchange with the Don Mills LRT, or DRL, whatever will be built. After Don Mills it would be run in-median, at-grade again until about Kennedy Road where it would go underground again. Note that the Eglinton, Scarborough-Malvern, and SRT (running through STC) would all terminate at this station.
2. The Ford Proposal had the entire Eglinton portion from Brentcliffe to Kennedy Station underground, with the SRT portion (going to STC) running straight through to the Eglinton line.
3. Based on many comments from this and other discussion groups, another viable option seems to exist, that is not discussed by any public leads. From Brentcliffe to Don Mills, the line could be on the South side of the road. This would require a new bridge over the Don River West Branch and a pair of tunnels through the CPR embankment. East of Don Mills, the possibility exists to elevate the line until it dips underground at Kennedy similar to the other proposals (or even stays at grade).
4. Although the order has already been placed for LRT vehicles, the supplier, Bombardier can supply many types of vehicles so it still may be possible to alter the contract – although it may be too late at this time. Each technology has advantages and disadvantages.

Based on the above, I have created several polls to see what the UT preferences are. I do not expect this thread to be long lived, but I am curious as to what the preferences are. Many arguments have been made in other threads on the various options, so I hope we do not repeat everything again here - keep your reasoning brief.

This poll is on the alignment between Brentcliffe and Don Mills.

Last edited:
I voted "At grade south side".

The Eglinton Transit line has already begun construction and there are still several options that could be considered.

3. Based on many comments from this and other discussion groups, another viable option seems to exist, that is not discussed by any public leads. From Brentcliffe to Don Mills, the line could be on the South side of the road. This would require a new bridge over the Don River West Branch and a pair of tunnels through the CPR embankment. East of Don Mills, the possibility exists to elevate the line until it dips underground at Kennedy similar to the other proposals (or even stays at grade).

I would still have it go underground for the interchange with the Don Mills LRT/DRL and then go at-grade after Don Mills. How it would continue after Don Mills, I would leave to others to decide.

At grade south side is probably the most reasonable choice. They should do preliminary design for that option, and barring major technical hurdles or cost escalations, proceed with it.

Btw, in this particular case "at grade south side" and "elevated" is really very similar. Either way, you have to be elevated near the West Don bridge, but then go under the CP line. The real difference is between the CP line and Don Mills; and since that stretch has no cross streets (only Celestica ramps), it makes more sense to be at grade unless the Don Mills station is elevated.

I voted at-grade south side, but I'd leave the option open to trench it or duck under intersections where necessary.

I really wish the western section was being built in the first phase.

Back