News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

I miss the 1990's

Me too. I don't know whether I am delusional or not, but I have heard the 1990's was a great time in Toronto.

Yup, you're delusional. I was in university downtown in the 1990s and I would say that the city of Toronto today is better in almost every way I can think of. It's more interesting now, with bigger and better music and arts scenes, there are more vibrant neighbourhoods, we have a vastly superior restaurant scene, etc. And love it or hate it, the past 15 years of condo-ization has turned many parts of the downtown that used to be no-go areas into safe and livable neighbourhoods. Onwards and upwards, I say...

Yup, you're delusional. I was in university downtown in the 1990s and I would say that the city of Toronto today is better in almost every way I can think of. It's more interesting now, with bigger and better music and arts scenes, there are more vibrant neighbourhoods, we have a vastly superior restaurant scene, etc. And love it or hate it, the past 15 years of condo-ization has turned many parts of the downtown that used to be no-go areas into safe and livable neighbourhoods. Onwards and upwards, I say...

Agreed. I used to work at various locations downtown throughout the 1990s, and the Toronto of today is superior in every significant way. Even with the decimation of Clubland, today's Toronto is still well ahead.

Yes it was I lived there then it was great! Not all this racial stuff happening, lots of jobs, lower taxes, lower rents. I paid 325 for a bachelor on Main Street! Food was 85 a month for two....

i can't think of any part of downtown that was a no go area 15 or even 20 years ago.

The 1990s were good to me. Graduated high school and started dating my future wife in 1991. Graduated from university in 1995, got my first real job in 1996 (export sales manager for big corp, travel to China and Eastern Europe), my first car (1987 Plymouth Sundance - POS, but I loved that car), got married and bought my house in 1998 (in the 1990s Cabbagetown homes were well under $300K!!). It wasn't all great times of course, and it wasn't until about 2010 before I paid off my OSAP once and for all.

Last edited:
I am one of the younger board members, so I grew up in the 90's. While I was in public school, Toronto got an NBA team and one of our class projects was to pick the logo and mascot. I also remember Jurassic Park coming out and the school making a big deal of it. Of course, the Jays actually did well back then and I watched them win back to back Championships with my parents.

Last edited:
Toronto got an NBA team and one of our class projects was to pick the logo and mascot. I also remember Jurassic Park coming out and the school making a big deal of it.

A name they apparently intend to downplay in the near future. Think more bird of prey, less dinosaur.

Back