News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Opinions on West end Buildings

Wooba

Member Bio
Reaction score
In a few months I'm looking for rent a condo or apartment in the west end. I'm hoping to get a place that's within walking distance of Kipling or Islington subway station. Does anyone have thoughts on some of the places around there? Nice buildings, well maintained, decent residents, etc? I'd prefer a slightly older place that includes hydro, but that's not a deal breaker. However being near the train tracks, I'm definitely concerned about train noise.

Anyone know the buildings in that area?

Thanks..

Hi Wooba,

I currently live in the Network Lofts (2 Fieldway rd)

pros:
+ The units are large and spacious or at least feel large due to the very high ceilings
+ The floor plans are very efficient and unique compared to the common floor plans sold in newer buildings
+ Great views from all sides of the building. I have unobstructed South West views (Lake is very visible all the way to the Niagara escarpment on a clear day)
+ Authentic LOFT conversion. It used be an office building from 1960s - 2005.
+ Proactive Management and Board of Directors
+ 5 minute walk to the subway station
+ Nice neighbourhood, kingsway, Islington Village, Queensway etc & there is a really nice park next door.
+ The demographic is excellent. Yuppies, retired couples, families. Ethnicity wise, it is quite the mix.
+ Pet friendly.

cons:
- Since I am facing the train tracks. You have the CP rails, Subways, and the Go-Train accessing that corridor. It can be very noisy if you have your Windows open during peak times. You get use to it within weeks though. When the Windows are closed, you cant hear the trains.
- The building is very old, and it was a complex loft conversion project, so common spaces such as the hallways and elevators are not upto standards with newer buildings. This building has very raw feel to it (which is common with authentic loft conversions).
- Phase 2 will begin soon, so there will be lots of construction on the west side of the building.

Last edited:
I actually live at 35 Viking Lane or road if you google map it (don't ask me why).

It really depends on what you are wanting. The building is next to the Kipling Subway which is ideal if you need quick access to downtown. Building is one of the best buildings I have seen. Only problem is power outages which happen too often. Other than that great amenities and a good mix of people.

My only con is that Dundas really isn't that pedestrian friendly, and is actually quite ugly to look at. I love being able to be downtown on the subway line or car in less than 20 minutes. I am a bit biased because I live there but I really don't have too much to complain about. If you can find a unit at 25 Viking Lane facing north because you won't be able to hear the trains pass.

Also if you are interested in saving a bit of money look at 5229-5233 Dundas Street, Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Essex Community because you will get more space, not as nice finishes and probably cheaper.

If saving money is your ideal I would suggest to look at any building at Michael Power Place. It is much cheaper but a further walk to the subway line. Hope that helps.

Thank you guys. That's very helpful!

During my search - admittedly just begun - I've seen potential buildings on Subway Cres, Aberfoyle Cres. and the SW corner of Islington/Bloor. Any experience with those buildings?

I'm less about the amenities and "bling" so it sounds like the Essex buildings could serve me well. I'm not hung up on the price issue, but having lots of space would be nice. I know with newer buildings the finishes are more flashy but the sizes are generally smaller. Plus a newer building will have a hydro bill on top.

Thanks again..

5229 Dundas is the first phase of the Essex Community. it is the only one that includes hydro plus the units will be bigger. 3391 Bloor might be too bling for you, plus it might more style than space. Aberfoyle is too far to the subway if that is important.

Is there something *wrong* with this development? MLS.ca is showing 22 units up for sale in this building, which seems like a lot for the size ...

The website (http://www.networklofts.com/) shows a few penthouse units left as well.

* office building conversion so no Tarion warranty - not that it means much sometimes
* not a well known builder

personally, i don't like the double height LR/DR ... i'd rather have more living space like an additional bedroom.

* office building conversion so no Tarion warranty - not that it means much sometimes
* not a well known builder

personally, i don't like the double height LR/DR ... i'd rather have more living space like an additional bedroom.

Actually it is 15 units for sale. The other listings are lockers, house across the street, and three units for phase 2.
All new penthouses are sold. Website is not updated.

It is a great building & the location is fantastic. But remember this is a conversion LOFT. Don't expect brand new things.

Alterra is ruthless from what I heard from the original owners.

In what way?

- Common Spaces not complete
- Issues with Elevators
- Financing issues with Alterra (taxes stuff)
- West End parking condition and flooding
- PDI very slow in resolving deficiencies
- Lied in their marketing (each unit was suppose to have emergency lights during blackouts)
- only met building codes of 2005. Building was registered by 2010.

Fastforward today, a lot of these issues have been paid & resolved by the Condo Corporations own pockets thanks to great management and board of directors. The corporation is financially stable thanks to the high condo fees and has budgeted to fix other issues by end of this fiscal year.

Thankfully, as a resale buyer, i didn't have to go through what many go through buying from the developers. Always buy resale :) Saves you a lot of headaches and stress.

Thanks for the detailed response radioheadmike :)

No problem!

Keep in mind the positives outweigh the negatives at Network lofts! If you are interested in buying, you should definitely check out some open houses over the weekend. I recommend you check the units that are on the 8th floor and above as the ceilings are high and the views are fantastic.

Also, phase 2 has some units for sale. If you don't mind dealing with the developers directly, then you should consider as well. All developers are ruthless nowadays, it all comes down how the building is managed and operated after registration.

Great intel on Network Lofts

No problem!

Keep in mind the positives outweigh the negatives at Network lofts! If you are interested in buying, you should definitely check out some open houses over the weekend. I recommend you check the units that are on the 8th floor and above as the ceilings are high and the views are fantastic.

Also, phase 2 has some units for sale. If you don't mind dealing with the developers directly, then you should consider as well. All developers are ruthless nowadays, it all comes down how the building is managed and operated after registration.

Hi radioheadmike,

Amazing lowdown on the building. Sometimes it's hard to find these things even online. I'm happy to have made a decision to live at the building. Really excited to move there. I've lived downtown before in cookie-cutter condos - moved West to get more living space - ended up at the Loggia condos at Queensway/Islington. Crazy high condo fees and a decent building but the builder should be shot for the crappy work, sloppy design. Gave it 2.5 years and I'm having to get out.

I think being next to the subway is a big boost to Network and I still get the best of being near the city and close to the best parts of the west end. Highway close by if I want to drive.

Thanks again.

Back