Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Sheridan College Breaks Ground for McCallion Campus Expansion
ALSO
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: Asphalt of Toronto - Our Lost Parking Lots (aka Toronto in the Golden Age of Parking)

  1. #16

    Default

    Some more images:

    TD building topped off in 1966, with lotsa parking lots in the general area:



    A shot of the 1932 downtown. Note that the big parking lots do not yet exist:



  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mississauga Slim View Post
    These pictures would make a great coffee-table book: Toronto in the Golden Age of Parking.
    Ha ha ha. I love it!

  3. #18

    Default

    More old parking lots:






  4. Default

    It certainly makes one feel less smug about similar developments in the US and elsewhere.

    Toronto circa 1970 was as parking lot-strewn as Buffalo is now minus the actual architectural holdovers from the Sullivan period.

  5. #20

    Default

    I still think that this parking lot was quite possibly the most epic parking lot in north america. (the really big one)

    check out my future toronto renders, complete with colour coding of the stages of construction!

    http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...ronto-3d-model

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    More old parking lots:

    Ick.. Oh St. James.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladies Mile View Post
    It certainly makes one feel less smug about similar developments in the US and elsewhere.

    Toronto circa 1970 was as parking lot-strewn as Buffalo is now minus the actual architectural holdovers from the Sullivan period.
    Really? We already had the new City Hall and TD Centre built with a slate of massive towers under construction or in the planning stages. They had what? The Marine Midland building possibly under consideration. No contest.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityPlaceN1 View Post
    Really? We already had the new City Hall and TD Centre built with a slate of massive towers under construction or in the planning stages. They had what? The Marine Midland building possibly under consideration. No contest.
    "Architectural holdovers from the Sullivan period" = "Buildings designed from 1880 through 1910 by Henry Hobson Richardson, Louis Sullivan, Charles Atwood, Frank Lloyd Wright, Vaux & Olmstead, McKim Mead & White, J.L. Silisbee, etc."

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    1,387

    Default




  10. #25

    Default

    Way more lots, way fewer residents and businesses... No wonder they are mostly empty. The pic in post #7 is a good example. I think I prefer the current state of affairs
    ---
    Therion's on Twitter: @tomtothiron

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON, CAN, Terra, Sol, Milky Way
    Posts
    6,823

    Default

    Will the Ontario Place parking disappear, move, or be hidden away?

    W. K. Lis

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W. K. Lis View Post
    Will the Ontario Place parking disappear
    Good question. Ontario Place is going to be completely rebuilt in a few years so who knows.

    I wonder if Toronto still has as many parking spot when you take into account all the multi-level underground spots under many if not all of the new buildings.

  13. #28

    Default

    probably just as many, just not as many public spots. they have all been transferred to private condo parking spots, and private office parking. the largest "lot" nowadays (AFAIK) is under city hall.
    check out my future toronto renders, complete with colour coding of the stages of construction!

    http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...ronto-3d-model

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innsertnamehere View Post
    The largest "lot" nowadays (AFAIK) is under city hall.
    Yup, looks like a big one. Wonder why it's so big?




  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innsertnamehere View Post
    probably just as many, just not as many public spots. they have all been transferred to private condo parking spots, and private office parking. the largest "lot" nowadays (AFAIK) is under city hall.
    Or above ground, like the 785 space Yonge Parkade of Eaton Centre:









    Last edited by thecharioteer; 2012-Feb-11 at 03:02.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •