327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

TTC surface stop spacing

Nick.

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
coming from ottawa, the stop spacing is ridiculous here. take a look at this section of the 47.

KVqbm.jpg

and the 501

mcg9W.png

you could easily cut the number of stops in half for all surface transit, then maybe they could have nice signs and actually maintain the stops.

coming from ottawa, the stop spacing is ridiculous here. take a look at this section of the 47.

KVqbm.jpg

and the 501

mcg9W.png

you could easily cut the number of stops in half for all surface transit, then maybe they could have nice signs and actually maintain the stops.

It is crazy. Its frusterating enough on the bus when theres a stop at a intersection on one side of the street and then when you get to the other side another stop. How wide is a road 30m but people cant walk that??? Worse is as soon as any development happens on a bus route, townhouses/condos, a new stop is added when a stop is normally no more then 100m away. Keep adding stops keep slowing down the service. As much as car drivers hate streetcars (because they are in their way) the stop spacing irritates me as a user. Theres a stop seemingly every 2 feet. Truthfully this only adds fuel to the fire for automobiles since they cant pass streetcars when they stop and the stop ALOT!!!

Maybe I could be ok with the additional stops if they only stop at these stops Between 8pm and 7am.

TC is the better plan. But if we become stupid and add to many stops Id take the Ford Plan. Also sometimes you cant ask residents their feelings on a subject and take it at face value. They clearly have a bias. If we did that we wouldnt have any highrises ANYWHERE in Toronto.

It is crazy. Its frusterating enough on the bus when theres a stop at a intersection on one side of the street and then when you get to the other side another stop. How wide is a road 30m but people cant walk that??? Worse is as soon as any development happens on a bus route, townhouses/condos, a new stop is added when a stop is normally no more then 100m away. Keep adding stops keep slowing down the service. As much as car drivers hate streetcars (because they are in their way) the stop spacing irritates me as a user. Theres a stop seemingly every 2 feet. Truthfully this only adds fuel to the fire for automobiles since they cant pass streetcars when they stop and the stop ALOT!!!

Maybe I could be ok with the additional stops if they only stop at these stops Between 8pm and 7am.

TC is the better plan. But if we become stupid and add to many stops Id take the Ford Plan. Also sometimes you cant ask residents their feelings on a subject and take it at face value. They clearly have a bias. If we did that we wouldnt have any highrises ANYWHERE in Toronto.

I don't drive a car but I agree with you.

Bus/streetcar stops would be 400m-500m apart and subways should be 800-1000m. It is utterly stupid to allow one person, for example, to get off/on at Victoria/Queen and keep the rest 100 passengers on board waiting, when this person can simply walk less than 200 meters to Yonge St and get off/on with the other 20 passengers.

I like the streetcars' integration with the subway stations, but their extra frequent stops are simply annoying, and this is from someone who doesn't drive at all.

Stop spacing

This is probably veering off-topic now, but here's a really annoying example of stop spacing in Mississauga, if you're taking the #26 Burnhamthorpe bus westbound towards Square One.

In the space of about 350m, there are 4 bus stops between City Centre Dr. / Kariya Gate, and City Centre Dr. / Robert Speck Pkwy.:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5289722

Fortunately, the in-between stops aren't used much. Most of the time, the only reason the bus stops in-between is when someone requests a stop too early, not expecting those other stops to be there. The bus barely has time to accelerate before hitting the next stop, and barely enough time to slow down if you don't make a stop request too soon.

Fortunately, the in-between stops aren't used much. Most of the time, the only reason the bus stops in-between is when someone requests a stop too early, not expecting those other stops to be there. The bus barely has time to accelerate before hitting the next stop, and barely enough time to slow down if you don't make a stop request too soon.
Is it me or do the Mississauga Transit stop announcements come much later than the TTC ones? I was on a Glen Erin bus the other day, and it seemed that the announcement occurred almost when the bus passed the stop. I'd think that if you waited for the announcement and press the button, the bus would have difficulty stopping. Everyone seemed to be pushing the button long before the announcement. Maybe I was just confused on where the stops were ...

Addressing the Google Streetview shots above: The stops between Gore Vale and Bellwoods on Queen are Sunday stops, an anachronism of the "Toronto the Good" era, designed to allow churchgoers in their Sunday finest to minimize their exposure to the outdoors.

Thankfully, the new streetcars will put an end to these relics. I am hopeful that their length will also make some short stop spacings redundant, eliminating some stops such as King/Queen/Dundas and Victoria and King/Queen and York.

Just give an example how ridiculous the 400-500 meter spacing somewhere on Eglinton or Sheppard is.

Paris has a system of 214km, with a total 301 stations, averaging about 710 meters between stations. That include central AND suburban areas. Remember Paris has a density 6-7 times that of Toronto.

London has 270 stations covering 420 kilometers of system, averaging 672 meters.

Does exactly does it make any sense to have stops every 400-500 meters in SUBURBAN Toronto, where density is probably 1/15 that of Paris and London?

Just give an example how ridiculous the 400-500 meter spacing somewhere on Eglinton or Sheppard is.

Paris has a system of 214km, with a total 301 stations, averaging about 710 meters between stations. That include central AND suburban areas. Remember Paris has a density 6-7 times that of Toronto.

London has 270 stations covering 420 kilometers of system, averaging 672 meters.

Does exactly does it make any sense to have stops every 400-500 meters in SUBURBAN Toronto, where density is probably 1/15 that of Paris and London?

well, the argument is that people don't like to walk far. it doesnt particularly matter how many people there are in an area only how lazy or infirm they are.

I'm fine with the amount of stops on Bloor-Danforth. I don't think there's any stops in particular I'd eliminate. That's why I supported the Eglinton Crosstown. For the tunneled portion the stop spacing was very close to BD.

I think any at-grade LRT should follow the same kind of stop spacing.

Back