News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Scadding Court Community Centre Redevelopment (10 + 3s)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Community centre @ Bathurst/Dundas.

http://levittgoodmanarchitects.com/project?p=scaddingcourt&c1=community&c2=None

Scadding Court

TORONTO, ONTARIO
LIBRARY, COMMUNITY CENTRE AND HOUSING.

The Scadding Court Community Centre Complex is a multi-use proposal consisting of ten stories of co-operative housing, a 3-storey health complex, day care and renovations to the community centre and Sanderson Branch Library (Toronto Public Library). The vision is to provide a number of complementary functions under one roof to serve the local community. The community is currently fund-raising for construction costs.

scaled.php

I like Scadding Court. I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they don't change it too much. It doesn't meet Dundas well, but it has lots of nice nooks & crannies and materials, the Sanderson Branch in particular.

I don't understand their tiny rendering. Is that looking northwest towards the intersection, with Toronto Western Hospital on the right? So they're proposing to build a 3-storey hill with a health complex under it? For hobbits?

It seems that Ryerson Community School might soon bite the dust for a 15 + 5 and 12 + 5s complex (not sure if we knew this already). Saunderson Branch also looks like it's going high-rise with 20 + 15 + 9s.

redevelopment.jpg

Quite like how the many different elements - condos, a school, library, presumably some clinic/hospital, OCADU and community centre - got incorporated into the scheme.

AoD

Obviously very preliminary, but the massing seems OK. I like that big canopy. Would be nice if they carried on the informal shipping-container market underneath that sheltered area, though I certainly won't hold my breath.

OCADU gets space in here as well as in the Mirvish+Gehry extravaganza? That's a lot of expansion. Who'd a thunk there were so many people clamoring for a sub-standard design education.

adH:

I wish the renderings would include the proposed massing for the Alexandra Park revitalization project - one'd get a far better idea as to how it will fit into the scheme instead of making itself stood out as the only intensification project for the area.

As to OCADU - I suspect a lot of the demand stems from the new Grad program they've implemented. As a University, they are certainly lacking in space...

AoD

adH:

I wish the renderings would include the proposed massing for the Alexandra Park revitalization project - one'd get a far better idea as to how it will fit into the scheme instead of making itself stood out as the only intensification project for the area.

Good point. There's also the bulk of Toronto Western, just to the north, which I think this plays off against reasonably well.

As to OCADU - I suspect a lot of the demand stems from the new Grad program they've implemented. As a University, they are certainly lacking in space...

True. And I expect they'll be losing some (or much) of the space they've leased in and around the Entertainment District, as all those charming mid-rise brick buildings give way to new towers.

Back