Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Chalk up one more for the Entertainment District

81 PETER ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 115750 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Feb 1, 2012 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application for new mixed use building - commercial at grade - commercial parking garage on floors 2-4 and residential above. - 49 stories - 5 levels below grade parking - 189 residentil parking spaces - 103 commercial parking spaces - 546 residential units.

Last edited:
I've been wondering how long it would take someone to propose something for that lot. It's pretty sizable. I'm assuming the property is both the building and the parking lot right? Any idea who owns it?

oh yay, I hope as many downtown surface lots be filled with something during this round of boom as possible. There are too many of them wherever you walk!

I'd like to see some of these Entertainment District projects have significant retail components for a supermarket and/or useful big box retail (Ikea, Target, Home Depot, etc) like Tribute's Queen-Portland development. Probably won't happen here but for example, this lot is massive and would be quite suitable for such retail incorporated into the podium to service the growing number of area residents. Fresh & Wild is alright but is not enough. College Park (and vicinity) now has 3 supermarkets, while the nearest for ED residents is Cityplace or Queen/Portland. As thousands of new residents are moving into this district, there will be an increasing need for more amenities.

Last edited:
Doesn't the building house a club presently?

Yeah, the lot his big enough to house some sizable retail at ground level.

Last edited:
Entertainment District?

I would like to see a condo be built in the Entertainment District that retains the club space it's being built on. What entertainment will there be in this district? Marshall's? More Shopper's Drug Mart's? We're losing unique businesses to box stores. Why would anyone who lives in downtown Toronto want to shop at a Costco!? The Entertainment District is going to be about as attractive to tourist from out of city and the burbs as the Bay St Canyon is. Subway sandwich shops and Second Cup.

Thar it 'tis, right in the middle:

81peter.jpg

Gee, will it be contextual with the you-know-what beside it?

I would like to see a condo be built in the Entertainment District that retains the club space it's being built on. What entertainment will there be in this district? Marshall's? More Shopper's Drug Mart's? We're losing unique businesses to box stores. Why would anyone who lives in downtown Toronto want to shop at a Costco!? The Entertainment District is going to be about as attractive to tourist from out of city and the burbs as the Bay St Canyon is. Subway sandwich shops and Second Cup.

It doesn't have to be a Shoppers and won't be a Marshall's, but there can always be an opportunity to mix up the retail of the area. Right now there are loads of restaurants showing up, but a neighbourhood doesn't live on restaurants alone.

Gee, will it be contextual with the you-know-what beside it?

Eek!

Menkes is the developer.

Also Great lands is assembling the east part of this block.

From what I can tell - Its from the Hyatt to Adelaide

I would like to see a condo be built in the Entertainment District that retains the club space it's being built on.

Bisha is supposed to have a bar/lounge and 24-hour cafe on the ground floor, as well as a restaurant on the second and third floor.

Back