News   Mar 28, 2024
 274     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     0 

613, 619-621 Queen Street West (Queen West fire site, Hullmark, 3s, Quadrangle)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thegridto.com/city/local-news/queen-west-fire-site-about-to-get-a-lot-less-vacant/

Queen West fire site about to get a lot less vacant

Gutted by fire with the rest of the block on Feb. 20, 2008, at least two of the three Queen West properties that have yet to be rebuilt are about to be.

BY: DAVID TOPPING
TUE JAN 31, 2012

The site at 613 Queen Street West, the former home of clothing store Preloved, was purchased on Jan. 27, 2012 by 2304358 Ontario Inc., a numbered company registered to Alireza Taghaboni and Maryam Tajaddodi Paskiabi, according to provincial government records. Brad Moss—whose company had previously purchased the property for $735,000 on Dec. 19, 2007, a few months before the Feb. 20, 2008 fire—told me back in 2011 that it would take “a whole lot of money” for anything to happen at the address. A whole lot of money is what he got: $900,000 for a narrow strip of trash-strewn land that, for now, is barely separated from Queen West by flimsy wood hoarding.

Bani Taghaboni is the daughter of 613 Queen’s new owners, and she told The Grid that, once it’s built back up, the first floor of the property will be home to Early Bird Espresso & Brew Bar, a coffee shop owned by her and her husband. “Construction will start immediately,” with the café opening “early summer—let’s say June,” she says, and the upper two floors will be residential.

Meanwhile, the larger lot on the other end of the cavity, at 619–621 Queen West—the former home of Suspect Video and Room+ Furniture & Accessories—also sold last week, according to Gary Burlacoff of Burlacoff Investments Limited, the previous owners.

In the gap between the two sold properties is 615–617 Queen Street West. The former home of National Sound, 615–617 Queen West has been owned by Foo Kong Investments Ltd. since at least 1986. A source who was involved in one of the other deals told The Grid that a sales representative with real estate firm Sutton Group said that they were still ”working” on selling 615–617 Queen West, but Tony Ferrera—a sales representative with Sutton Group whose “SOLD” sign appeared on the vacant land this weekend—would not answer any of The Grid‘s questions, and neither would Michael Kong, who nearby landowners have pointed to as a spokesperson for Foo Kong Investments. “That’s not my property,” said Michael. “It’s my brother’s property… he doesn’t speak English.” He added: “I have no idea what’s going on over there.”

**Sorry, thread title error. Should be 619-621 Queen ...

Last edited:
Pretty original. Gensler has proposed this to replace a historic facade in Chicago. Here's the mockup of how it will look.

mich2o.jpg

I hope it ends up as interesting as this:

The-Perforated-House-Designed-in-Melbourne-Australia-by-Kavellaris-Urban-Design-light.jpg

House in Melbourne, Australia.

Also, full view of example above in Chicago:
1z6zeb9.jpg

Basically a refit of an old historic block stripped in the 60s.

Of course, that's just a render of the Chicago building and we'll see how good it really looks. Pretty cool though. I look forward to the day when the ceramic is programmable, and we can play Sim City in the real world!

Hullmark. I believe Richard Witt is in charge (Quadrangle) which means it will be hot.

20120901164212.jpg

Hullmark is also working with RW (Quadrangle) on 60 Atlantic phase 1 (& hopefully 2)--also a commercial/office project.

Hullmark also has a bunch more of these infill-style commercial developments in the works. I expect more cool design.

Back