Toronto One Park Place | 96.01m | 28s | Daniels | Hariri Pontarini

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Daniels' next Regent Park development phase.

http://danielsoneparkplace.com/

Rendering from Daniels' Facebook page

430882_258836790855407_256186447787108_633864_530030979_n.jpg

Assuming this is the building just to the east of the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre, then this is a Hariri Pontarini design. I'll get that confirmed shortly.

Not all of it has be glamorous to succeed: the St Lawrence town area (which I like walking through) is not filled with architectural marvels, but it is internally consistent, and has just enough variation to avoid being a praw-ject. I'm getting the same sense walking through the nascent new Regent Park. The swimming pool centre does a great job of creating visual interest, and is enough peacock for me...

It's just right for the neighbourhood.
I agree with College Park, the design doesn't always have to be a showstopper to be successful.
The use of brick in the podium and the steel fins of the tower are very nice.

This is a really beautiful design (I like the potential cladding on the tower and the vertical detailing). This potentially could be a successful neighbourhood, aesthetically speaking (its already looking better than Cityplace).

What I like about the podium and midrise component especially is how pronounced the thin white lines are. The tower is decidedly more neutral almost like a slab tower with just walls and bands of balconies, though the proportions are decent and the subtle vertical lines along the glass cladding may be redeeming.

I agree with earlier comments about buildings like this which 'fit in' and expand the character of an existing neighbourhood with slight variations. Sometimes, with their large scale projects, it seems that HP are drawn into the trap of adding too many visual bells-and-whistles - Vu and 1 Bloor East try too hard in that way. I think that Safdie's Monde condo, which has a tower and podium arrangement massed similarly to this one, also falls into that too-busy trap. Here, the tower and the podium are nicely, and simply, differentiated and work well in combination.

It looks like it has retail lining Dundas Street. This will go a long way in making this area feel safe and put lots of people on Dundas. The cranes are up for both this project and the TCHC project, east and west of the Arts Centre/Paint Box building. It should be flying up in no time. This building looks pretty good. I like the roof treatment and of course, the red brick is always nice to see. (so old Toronto)

Gradually, Regent Park is transforming into a nice neighbourhood in front of our very eyes. Who would have ever thought that just a few years back when passing through this exceedingly grim and dreary area?

This place will be the next St. Lawrence - you heard it here first!

Back