News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     0 

Search function

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have found recently on more than one occasion that the "Search" function does not seem to be working very well. Yesterday I started a new thread in Projects and construction regarding a new development, not having found an existing thread. I was promptly corrected by someone pointing out that the project in question was already the subject of a thread. Prior to starting my thread, I had enquired using three or four keywords where it would have showed up, if already on the forum. No response was received showing that any of these words were present in an existing thread, yet sure enough, it turned out that a thread already existed and contained at least two of the words.

I wonder if unnecessary duplication of threads sometimes occurs because of this?

I have found recently on more than one occasion that the "Search" function does not seem to be working very well. Yesterday I started a new thread in Projects and construction regarding a new development, not having found an existing thread. I was promptly corrected by someone pointing out that the project in question was already the subject of a thread. Prior to starting my thread, I had enquired using three or four keywords where it would have showed up, if already on the forum. No response was received showing that any of these words were present in an existing thread, yet sure enough, it turned out that a thread already existed and contained at least two of the words.

I wonder if unnecessary duplication of threads sometimes occurs because of this?

It has always done that when I try using it. Its why I don't bother searching or tell anyone to use the search function when they make a duplicate thread. The search function is quite useless. I've had much better luck googling a term and adding "urban toronto" to my search for finding threads.

Yeah. When I search for my own posts, it doesn't bring anything up past November 2011...

Yeah. When I search for my own posts, it doesn't bring anything up past November 2011...

I noticed that too. I used to use the "Find other posts" search to find every thread I had posted in, but it doesn't show me anything past January now.

Back