296     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 663     0 

Red Light Camera Offence Notice in the mail

newbuyer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi there,

Darn it!! I got a Red light camera offence notice yesterday. I know that this is gotta be a mistake. Just take a look at the 2nd picture. They only have a picture of me stop behind the line (1 st picture). 2nd picture doesn't even have my car in it. How can they say I crossed the light and went into intersection when the light was red? Don't they need to have a picture of my car crossed the line and went into the intersection???

The form is 5.1. Is this the old form? Shouldn't it be form 5? Someone here said that the Good Government Act 2009 will take effect in January 3, 2012. It just took in effect. The date of my violation in December 24, 2011.

Here are the pictures:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69 ... 634oh.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/dsc09635d.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/dsc09636n.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/dsc09637x.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/dsc09638x.jpg/

Please help? :( I just had a newborn and $325 can go to a lot of diapers and formula. I know this is a mistake because I remember exactly that day I went to Canadian Tire and on that particular intersection I turned right on the traffic light to reach Canadian Tire. You can see that my brake lights and turning light is on. Let's say if they argue that the reason of the camera didn't capture my car on the 2nd picture is because of my speed. My speed was registered at 30km/h! The notice shows that I approached the the intersection at which time the signal had displayed red for 001.5 seconds and that the vehicle proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 003.3 seconds. Does it make sense?

Someone here also mentioned that the photo has to show street names, and as you can see you do not see street names. But the most important thing is they don't have prove of me crossing the red light (no evidence of crossing on the 2nd picture).

The second photo shows nobody in the intersection, unless you went invisible. The car in the first show the car stopped. Looks okay to me, if I was a judge.

dsc09635d.jpg

Were you turning right? I got caught for that once...the first picture clearly showed my turn signal on, and the second showed me turning, but I still had the pay the fine because I didn't come to a complete stop.

Were you turning right? I got caught for that once...the first picture clearly showed my turn signal on, and the second showed me turning, but I still had the pay the fine because I didn't come to a complete stop.

I was turning right, or my car would show on the second picture.

Did the judge or prosecutor say that you have to come to a complete stop before making the right turn on the red light?

Doesn't it state that when turning right on red you still have to come to a complete stop. You would have to treat it like a stop sign.
I've seen way too many people just zooming by when turning right.
If you were turning right chances are you would probably pay a lower fine but still have to pay.
Take it to court and see what happens. What are the court fees?

Doesn't it state that when turning right on red you still have to come to a complete stop. You would have to treat it like a stop sign.
If you were turning right chances are you would probably pay a lower fine but still have to pay.

The fine is $325!! I am taking it to court.

That is correct, I know a person who was pulled over and given a ticket for not coming to a stop. From the Onterio drivers hand book http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.6.3.shtml

"Unless a sign tells you not to, you may make a right turn facing a red light as long as you first come to a complete stop and wait until the way is clear. Remember to signal your turn and yield to pedestrians and others using the road"

Did the judge or prosecutor say that you have to come to a complete stop before making the right turn on the red light?
Of course you have to come to a complete stop before making a right turn on a red light. What do you think the red light means? Where the f#$king hell are people getting their driver's licenses from nowadays? Didn't you have to take a driver's test?

This thread reminds me of many of my old co-workers--they had cars, houses etc but couldn't afford an unexpepcted $300-$1000 expense; I have neither yet always have savings on hand... Living P2P just to keep up with the neighbours isn't my thing... So you're paying that $325!:D

Whether or not one came to a complete stop is one thing. But I don't see anything in the photos that demonstrates that one didn't come to a full stop. First photo looks pretty stopped to me.

Sort of hard to read, but it looks like the "Speed" reading in the top right-hand corner of the first picture says 30 km/h.

Maybe it's time to go beyond photo - and use video clips instead, where you can log on to a secured site to view the recording of the offence and go from there.

AoD

If you go to court, your only recourse is to introduce some element of doubt. That would mean showing that some aspect of the camera was not in good working order. That would also mean finding out some more about how these cameras work. Inquire about the 30 kph data. Was that you? What does it mean? Was that your registered speed?

If you were moving and did not stop at the intersection, you are out of luck.

If you go to court, your only recourse is to introduce some element of doubt. That would mean showing that some aspect of the camera was not in good working order. That would also mean finding out some more about how these cameras work. Inquire about the 30 kph data. Was that you? What does it mean? Was that your registered speed?

If you were moving and did not stop at the intersection, you are out of luck.

It depends on the JP!

My father was nabbed by one of these once and I was in his car at the time. It was winter, during a snowstorm. He was driving me to work. He hit the brakes for a light that just turned yellow and the car simply did not stop but just slid right into the intersection. It turned out to be a red light camera intersection. Sure enough, a ticket arrived in the mail three months later (this was in Hamilton, so of course it took that long!) He challenged it and was assigned a court date six months later (again, Hamilton!) Even though the pictures clearly show the brake lights on in each shot, and even though the road is covered in snow and even though there were visible skid marks in the snow and even though the car was literally stopped and sideways in the middle of the intersection, the JP just said: "Well you were obviously driving too fast to stop for the conditions, so the ticket stands."

Back