News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

Do we know what Toronto's slogan is?

drewp

Member Bio
Reaction score
After watching the news this week, I heard our city's slogan which is, Diversity: Our Strength. Who knew, I sure didn't know.

What should our slogan be? Do we like our city's slogan?

I've always thought that the cheesy slogans that every municipality has are incredibly pointless. Slogans for tourism advertising can be effective, but "Diversity: our strength" is one that the city uses for everyday business. Has a company ever decided to locate to a city because of a slogan on a website or a highway sign? Every municipality does it, from Vaughan's recently dropped "The city above Toronto" to Aurora's "You're in good company" to Cavan-Monaghan's generic "Have it all. Right here." But my favourite cheesy slogan has to be Cobourg: "Ontario's feel good town". Ah Cobourg, so unintentionally hilarious.

I think the slogan works for either tourism or business. When people go to a place, they want to be able to feel comfortable in it. I've always thought Toronto being diversified was a good thing. No matter which country you're coming from, you can feel at ease here because you aren't alone. There's various cultures so you might come across someone who can speak your language if you're lost. You won't feel threatened either because you're the only person of that race and stand out because you won't be here.

The trade off though is the loss of Canadian identity. I was at a loss when asked what it meant to be Canadian. If I said freedom of speech, that could mean US as well. The only thing I could think of was Canadian bacon and maple syrup :p

^^^^ AKS, that's the unfortunate reality of multiculturalism; if most of the new immigrants integrated and appreciated Canada's history and where it stands relative to other countries today (in terms of acceptance, freedom, opportunity, etc.), then we would have a stronger identity. Look at the US & Australia and their strong national identity (in general, of course; I know I'm making a blanket statement but feel I need to, to prove a point).

To be honest, it's now too late to hope that things will change; there are too many people who will not integrate and 250K immigrants/annum are arriving, most of whom won't add to 'Canadian identity'.

PS - this is meant to be a neutral (non-racist) message. (If this message gets deleted or if I get in trouble, it'll further reinforce the issue we have with Canadian identity.)

Toronto:La Vie en gris! (Toronto:Life in grey) One day we will be known world-wide as the grey spandrel city. The "City of light" has nothing on us!

My favourite Toronto slogan was "You Belong Here"

[video=youtube;-G1nR_Cox_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1nR_Cox_A[/video]

My favourite Toronto slogan was "You Belong Here"

I'd take that slogan back in a minute!

Very marketable.
That video right there could be great as the basis of a new marketing campaign.
Create an "E-vite" and forward it to all email addresses on the city database.
Market it to Torontonians. Have them forward it to their friends and family as an invitation to visit.
It should go out to every business , government or personal email address in the database as well.
I know it's spamming but it's not really commercial in nature.

The Ontario Media Development Corporation still has a web site with that name.
http://www.you-belong-here.com/

Save a few bucks already.
I bet they still have some marketing with that on it too.

oh, not "diversity" again. When will it be realized diversity is not a Toronto-specific thing?

In the 60's a lot of us referred to Toronto as simply TO, implying action, excitement, energy, hipness and so on. Oh well, that was the sixties, and I was then living in what was to become, (im)famously, " Ontario's feel good town ". Still do, well into the vintage years. Slogans probably mean most to the locals who dream them up. The best one I ever heard is the " I love New York " one.

In another forum I used to frequent, I frequently (and always in jest) called it the COTU. Seemed appropriate, given the derision Toronto often receives from many Canadians.

The thing which traditionally unites most Canadians (even some Torontonians, apparently) is a sporting dislike of Toronto. We might as well run with it.

Back