News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Top 10 Lost Toronto Buildings

Are we counting the replacement value of what took their places?

The Arcade building is the one that jumps out to me. If that had survived I think it would be an incredibly well-loved building even today. And what we have in its place is so unredeeming that I think it qualifies as an total loss.

I'd also suggest the Uptown theatre, the Mutual St Arena, the original Trinity College, Walnut Hall, the Empress, the Bata HQ, the Temple Building, the old building at the NE corner of Front/Yonge (can't remember the name), and the original Opera House

Edit: And it was partially saved through relocation, but I miss the greenhouses at College/University. Especially now with the new construction to the SE it would've had even more of an impact in its original location.

Toronto Board of Trade Building. One of Toronto's first skyscrapers. ( demolished in 1958.)

Sad loss, I just love how the building meets the street.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Board_of_Trade_Building_Front_Street.jpg

I wish they could have saved this building. The Regal Constellation Hotel :(

RegalConstellationWest1.jpg

Top 10 (in no particular order):

1) The Berczy Park Block:

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-10.jpg

No27-29WellingtonStreeteastofScottS.jpg

2) The Exchange Building (Wellington and Leader Lane):

Toronto_Stock_Exchange_in_1878.jpg

3) The Provincial Lunatic Asylum:

1910asylumforinsanecx1-1.jpg

4) St. Andrew"s Church and its Victorian replacement (Church and Adelaide):

1867-1.jpg

churchandadelaide18851895in5.jpg

5) Chorley Park:

3867_chorley_lg-1.jpg

6) The Manning Arcade (King Street West):

manningarcade.jpg

7) The Broadway Tabernacle (NE corner Spadina & College):

broadwaytabernacle.jpg

8) The Old Customs House (SW corner Front and Yonge):

yonge-and-front-customs-house-1880-1.jpg

9044-1.jpg

YongeFront1918-1.jpg

9) The Odeon Carlton:

Odeon_Cinema_Carlton_Street_Toronto_1972.jpg

rg_56_11_0_305_3_620.jpg

10) The Adelaide Street Post Office (and Toronto Street):

444px-Post_Office_on_Adelaide.jpg

21.jpg

Plus:

The trees of Jarvis Street:

f1568_it0304-1.jpg

(Not to mention the Globe and Mail Building, The Toronto Star, The Bank of Montreal, Loretto Abbey, the Mechanics Institute, numerous CNE buildings and the old Union Station)

Last edited:
Wonderful list, charioteer. The one that gives me the greatest pang is St Andrews. A wonderful building that could habve been by Hawksmoor (it practically was). I can't think of any standing churches in Ontario that are so clearly English baroque style. Are there any?

4) St. Andrew"s Church and its Victorian replacement (Church and Adelaide):

1867-1.jpg

Being a fan of Deco and Moderne, The Star, Globe and Mail, and BMO buildings are up there for me. My list would also include the Board of Trade building, the Temple building, the original Arcade, the Toronto St. vista (including the Post Office and Masonic Hall buildings), Chorley Park, the Armoury, and probably the lost St. Lawrence/Berczy Park structures as a whole.

Wonderful list, charioteer. The one that gives me the greatest pang is St Andrews. A wonderful building that could habve been by Hawksmoor (it practically was). I can't think of any standing churches in Ontario that are so clearly English baroque style. Are there any?

That's a lovely church. Is it the same congregation as the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on King St, just west of University, the one that gave the subway stop its name? That is a distinguished, and much larger, building but nowhere near as attractive as this one, in my view. (Edit) I answered my own question. It is the same congregation. It sounds like they needed a bigger building and hence made the move. http://www.standrewstoronto.org/church_info.htm

"St. Andrew's, home to one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in Canada, was founded in 1830 "in connection with the Mother Church of Scotland". It was first located at the southwest corner of Church and Adelaide Streets but this building was abandoned when it became too small for the expanding congregation.

The present building was opened for worship in 1876. At that time the King and Simcoe Streets location was a busy place and most of the congregation lived within easy walking distance of the church. Across the street stood Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. Upper Canada College stood on a second corner and on a third was a popular tavern. With St. Andrew's, the four corners were known locally as Legislation, Education, Damnation and Salvation!!"

Last edited:
St. Andrews and the Manning Arcade are the only two pictured above that seem like genuine losses.

The French Second Empire stuff is ambitious but noisy and fairly crude; and Chorley Park is absolutely hideous.

There have certainly been large-scale houses from that period that have been engaging, even masterful--but Chorley Park looks like a stack of boxes with "Instant Turret Candyland Kit" stuck all over it.

Casa Loma is absurd, but at least it is massed dramatically.

Back