Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Erin Mills Town Centre Reaches Redevelopment Milestone
ALSO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: 1000 Bay or Yorkville Plaza, which one is better?

  1. Default 1000 Bay or Yorkville Plaza, which one is better?

    compared 1000 bay with yorkville plaza, which one is better in terms of potential investment value? price of the two is similar. one is newer, one is at better location. how you folks think about this?


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Hull View Post
    compared 1000 bay with yorkville plaza, which one is better in terms of potential investment value? price of the two is similar. one is newer, one is at better location. how you folks think about this?
    As an investment, neither are amazing. It will be impossible to cash flow with 20-30% down because the PSF is very high (unless you buy outright, but if you've got that kind of capital what they hell as are you doing thinking about buying pre con?)

    Bear in mind too that some lux product outside Yorkville has not fared well (see: Ritz Carlton, Trump - suites going for waaaayy less than orignally expected). A few suites at Casa and Festival Tower sold for more than a suite at the Ritz (in terms of PSF). If you are lookin at capital appreciation, no doubt stick with Yorkville. Bay St is overrated. Sure, those who got in earlier and bought at College Park + others made a killing, but $800+ PSF for Bay St is highway robbery. Yorkville on the other hand is king, and will be for a while still.

    Projects like River City II, Rise (though you've probably missed the boat on those two in terms of vip pricing and suite choice), maybe even Context King West or Monde are better.

    Most of all get the opinion of a pre con expert. Since I don't have a dog in that race I'll leave that up to you to figure out, just do your due diligence.

  3. Default

    i really like yorkville, it's just so charming.

  4. #4

    Default

    What's your investment goal/strategy? We can help you understand your options better after we know what your plan is.
    Realtor.

  5. Default

    1000 Bay is very overpriced IMO, unless you manage to scoop a high-floor unit that's facing the park, with an unobstructed view protected by the historical buildings. Also the Yorkville Plaza has a sort of nostalgia attached to it.

  6. #6

    Default

    We attended an event where 1000 Bay was being pitched to Realtors yesterday. We couldn't believe the lack of hard facts and the amount of "hype" they were pushing:

    You have to see our tweet to believe it: https://twitter.com/gracecondos/stat...71402595651584
    Realtor.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm not Garth Turner/Ben Rabidoux disciple, but $800+ PSF and $65K parking for non-premium areas, as well as hilarious info sessions such as that tweet suggest are reasons for concern in pre con these days. Why would anyone buy here when there are much better options (both for speculation or if you want monthly cash flow) in pre con and resale. Of course, this building will still be 70% sold in no time...but surely this cannot be sustainable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southcore View Post
    I'm not Garth Turner/Ben Rabidoux disciple, but $800+ PSF and $65K parking for non-premium areas, as well as hilarious info sessions such as that tweet suggest are reasons for concern in pre con these days. Why would anyone buy here when there are much better options (both for speculation or if you want monthly cash flow) in pre con and resale. Of course, this building will still be 70% sold in no time...but surely this cannot be sustainable.
    I fully agree with your post that, regardless, 70% will be sold in no time although this can not be sustainable.

    I will appreciate if a R/E agent or two could post sales numbers as things move along.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraceCondos View Post
    We attended an event where 1000 Bay was being pitched to Realtors yesterday. We couldn't believe the lack of hard facts and the amount of "hype" they were pushing:

    You have to see our tweet to believe it: https://twitter.com/gracecondos/stat...71402595651584

    @ a VIP Condo learning event: "rental income. Let's skip that slide - rental income is awesome" Seriously?
    could you elaborate ?!

    i'm not following the tweet ...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdr108 View Post
    could you elaborate ?!

    i'm not following the tweet ...
    Of course! A real estate broker hired by the builder was giving a seminar to a group of Realtors, who mostly have not sold pre-construction, about how easy it is. How they just bring their clients in to the sales centre, the sales agents for the builder do all the paperwork and the buying Realtor makes x% with little effort. One of his slides discussed the rental income and cash flow of these units and he said what I quoted and just advanced to the next slide. So basically he was trying to get these agents hyped on the money they can make, and wasn't actually going through the numbers of a unit as a rental investment.

    Make more sense?
    Realtor.

  11. Default

    I was at the same event. I know some people who were going to promote the sales launch. It was less about the project and more about how much money you will make. I am so tired of the traditional salesman.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraceCondos View Post
    Of course! A real estate broker hired by the builder was giving a seminar to a group of Realtors, who mostly have not sold pre-construction, about how easy it is. How they just bring their clients in to the sales centre, the sales agents for the builder do all the paperwork and the buying Realtor makes x% with little effort. One of his slides discussed the rental income and cash flow of these units and he said what I quoted and just advanced to the next slide. So basically he was trying to get these agents hyped on the money they can make, and wasn't actually going through the numbers of a unit as a rental investment.

    Make more sense?

    yes, i didn't know what you said earlier was verbatim from the sales / marketing rep ...

    the reality is the numbers don't work as rentals

  13. Default

    i truly like the yorkville but how do you think about the price of yorkville plaza? is it overpriced or fair price?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdr108 View Post
    yes, i didn't know what you said earlier was verbatim from the sales / marketing rep ...

    the reality is the numbers don't work as rentals
    My understanding is that the units are being sold at around $ 800psf.

    I would appreciate if someone in R/E industry could, please, keep posting latest sales figures/any incentives by the builder to move units

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraceCondos View Post
    Of course! A real estate broker hired by the builder was giving a seminar to a group of Realtors, who mostly have not sold pre-construction, about how easy it is. How they just bring their clients in to the sales centre, the sales agents for the builder do all the paperwork and the buying Realtor makes x% with little effort. One of his slides discussed the rental income and cash flow of these units and he said what I quoted and just advanced to the next slide. So basically he was trying to get these agents hyped on the money they can make, and wasn't actually going through the numbers of a unit as a rental investment.

    Make more sense?
    Happily it sounds like some of you are actually thinking of your customer besides just lining your own pockets.

    If you seriously wish to be considered a "profession", then it behooves you to outwardly chastise this type of tactic.

    Is it little wonder that there is so much anger towards real estate commissions when stories like this are put forth. I appreciate this is a far different issue than working on a listing with a client and going from location to location with the client.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •