Toronto 4155 Yonge | 42.44m | 11s | GreenCity | Richard Wengle

Atlantis

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread yet for this one. I drove by the sign twice this week before deciding I was going to stop and see what this one's all about. It's the parking lot at the corner of Yonge and William Carson Crescent, just north of York Mills. http://g.co/maps/m9mvs

12 storeys, 173 units, with ground floor retail.

6474915385_3467c89197_z.jpg

6474899447_cb4b3b9987_b.jpg

6474903459_afe880b68f_b.jpg

6474906951_fbcb22454a_b.jpg

Building at Yonge and York Mills turned down, but compromise may be within reach

While North York councillors have voted to fight a controversial development proposal on Yonge Street north of York Mills Road at the Ontario Municipal Board, all sides are hoping a compromise can be worked out to avert a hearing.

Councillors voted against the proposed development at 4155 Yonge St. at the northeast corner of Yonge and William Carson Crescent at the Sept. 11 meeting of North York Community Council.

But Don Valley West Councillor Jay Robinson said developer Ire-Yonge Developers Inc. has been “very impressive” in consulting with the community and she hopes an agreement can still be achieved.

READ MORE - http://www.zuza.com/news-story/1310...rned-down-but-compromise-may-be-within-reach/

Last edited by a moderator:
Urbanation is reporting that the OMB has rejected this proposal.

OMB rejects Yonge and York Mills condo building
Developer plans to come back with new proposal for site

"In its ruling, the OMB concluded the mixed-use development would have a negative impact on the community and the environment."

"“In light of the foregoing issues and evidence, the proposed development and amendments do not represent good planning and the board’s approval of these is not in the public interest,” the decision said."

"“Approval of this proposal would result in a net loss of ecosystem services and the permanent removal of (a) natural feature than cannot be recovered.”

"“We will definitely be coming back with something,” he said. “We’re revising our proposal and looking at different strategies.”"

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/3846021-omb-rejects-yonge-and-york-mills-condo-building/

I work close to this plot of land.

For years it was being used as a parking lot. But recently the parking lot has been shut down and the entrance/exit has been blocked off.

It now sits empty and is not used for anything.

Not sure what they are planning to do with this land.

Hey @narduch, anything happen on the site since your last post? Apparently a new site plan approval was sought in April of 2015 (which we must assume fits in with current zoning), but the site plans themselves are not posted on the City's website, and there doesn't seem to be anything else on the internet that's new for this site, but I thought I'd ask just in case there are signs up… or something!

Hey @narduch, anything happen on the site since your last post? Apparently a new site plan approval was sought in April of 2015 (which we must assume fits in with current zoning), but the site plans themselves are not posted on the City's website, and there doesn't seem to be anything else on the internet that's new for this site, but I thought I'd ask just in case there are signs up… or something!

Not that I know of,...... but then again this developer got was taken to back of the barn for good old fashion ass-whipping at OMB last year,... now they know not to mess with this neighbourhood. Their original development proposal went over the valley ridge and that ticked off a lot of folks around here. If they proposed something similar to the other low-rise condos along William Carson Crescent then that would fly,... but they got too greedy,....

The OMB refusal was for the proposal from 2013. In April 2015 they submitted for site plan approval, so something kicked into gear again.

Correct,... OMB on original proposal was 2013.

The local ratepayers group was very effective in fighting off the original proposal,.... they managed to put together a strong war-chest sponsored by area condo boards and deep-pocketed homeowners on top of the ridge,..... that paid for very strong representation at OMB hearing.

Why are locals so concerned with what gets built on a major arterial? I don't understand this kind of objection. How does it negatively affect their lives? I wish NIMBYs would direct their energy at developers re the quality of architecture in a given development instead of lowering the heights of buildings by arbitrary numbers.

I haven't noticed any activity at this site, but I will double-check tomorrow.

I always wondered why they wouldn't just keep running it as a parking lot. It was always full. And with the construction happening at the TTC York Mills station lot, parking is harder to find for the surrounding offices some times.

This is a very rich neighbourhood. The site is also within Kathleen Wynne's riding.

Back