News   Apr 24, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 389     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 744     1 

Highway 401 Widening - Cambridge Area (MTO, Proposed)

LRGM

Member Bio
Reaction score
A couple interesting articles below. Discuss!

Highway 401 carpool lanes proposed

CAMBRIDGE — Carpool lanes are proposed down the middle of Highway 401 as part of a suggested 10-lane widening of the freeway eastward from Hespeler Road to Halton Region.

The idea was an option at a 2009 public information session that was part of an ongoing Ontario Ministry of Transportation planning process to upgrade the six-lane highway from Cambridge eastward.

Now, the “preferred option†to upgrade the 401 includes “provisions for high occupancy vehicle — HOV — lanes, to address long-term needs,†ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols said.

The highway within a highway proposal goes out for public comment this week at meetings in Cambridge and Puslinch Township.

One inner lane in each direction would be marked with diamonds on the asphalt and overhead signs saying only vehicles carrying two or more people are permitted. Police would enforce the rule.

The other four lanes of traffic in each direction would be used by trucks and other as it is now.

The Hespeler-Halton project is one of several planning studies complete or underway to upgrade Highways 8 and 401 from south Kitchener, through Cambridge and Puslinch Township to Mississauga.

There’s no firm timeline to start any of the work.

Plans have been approved — but not funded — to upgrade the interchange at Highways 8 and 401 by adding a westbound ramp. Currently, southbound traffic on Highway 8 must exit at King Street to enter Highway 401 westbound toward Woodstock.

Detailed design work is underway for widening Highway 401 between Highway 8 and Hespeler Road, said Nichols, of the Transport Ministry.

The work is proposed in two phases, possibly starting by 2015. No cost estimates are available.

The first phase includes the rehabilitation of the Highway 8 to Highway 401 “flyover†ramp, and replacement of the Fountain Street and Speedsville Road bridges over the 401. The second phase includes widening Highway 401.

That’s similar to what’s needed for the next block of the 401 heading eastward from Hespeler Road to Halton Region.

That work would include:

• Reconstruction and modification of the Hespeler Road, Franklin Boulevard, Townline Road, Hanlon Expressway and Brock Road interchanges;

• Replacement of 11 bridges;

• Expansion of two carpool lots.

The Transport Ministry is talking to Waterloo Region officials about adding express-bus bypass lanes on the 401 between Kitchener and Cambridge. Provincial officials are also talking with the City of Cambridge about a pedestrian bridge spanning the 401 near Franklin Boulevard.

Ministry traffic projections say Highway 401 between Hespeler Road and Highway 6 needs eight lanes by 2016 and 10 by 2031.

Between Highway 6 and the Halton boundary, eight lanes are needed by 2016 and perhaps 12 lanes by 2031. (Another study is underway looking at 401 traffic through Halton Region.)

Highway 401 widening

Plans to widen Highway 401 between Hespeler Road and the Halton Region boundary are on public display this week.

• Tuesday, at the Hespeler Memorial Arena, 640 Ellis Rd. W., Cambridge.

• Thursday, at the Puslinch Community Centre, 29 Brock Rd. S., Aberfoyle.

Sessions run from 4 to 8 p.m.

Staff presentations at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

kswayze@therecord.com

Link

Highway 401 widening through and east of Cambridge overdue, motorists say

CAMBRIDGE — John Miller can see how busy Highway 401 is outside his house in Puslinch Township just east of Cambridge.

“This area has grown, but the highway hasn’t,†he said.

Miller liked plans for a 10-lane highway he saw Tuesday at the Hespeler Memorial Arena, during a public information session. “It has to be done, no question.â€

What’s a bigger concern for him, however, are stalled plans to build a new Highway 6 south from Highway 401 south towards Hamilton. Today’s four-lane, undivided Highway 6 is overwhelmed by traffic most of time, forcing people to short-cut down country roads like his.

Between Highway 6 North and Highway 6 South, Highway 401 is proposed to be 12 lanes wide. There, it’s a double highway moving traffic north-south and east west through the Highway 6 dogleg.

Included is a roundabout south of the 401, blend traffic between the old Highway 6 route and the new expressway route heading south to Freelton.

No cost estimates or proposed construction timing was given for any of the projects project. The final Hespeler-Halton plan is expected to go for approval next summer. Then it has to get funding.

Plans are on display again Thursday at the Puslinch Community Centre, 29 Brock Rd. S., Aberfoyle, 4 to 8 p.m.

The preferred option on display widens six-lane Highway 401 between Hespeler Road in Cambridge and the Halton Region boundary to include “high-occupancy vehicle lanes†down the middle. They’re for use only by cars with two or more people, or buses.

The Hespeler-Halton proposal plugs into already approved plans to widen the Highway 401 between Highway 8 and Hespeler Road, said Roger Ward, project manager with the Ontario Transportation Ministry. It’s also intended to match up with a study underway between Milton and Mississauga to upgrade the freeway farther east.

To widen the 401 Hespeler to Halton, 11 bridges need to be replaced with longer spans, along with rebuilding the 22-year-old Hespeler Road interchange. The study proposes pedestrian access across and around the highway, paid for by local municipalities.

A display map showed a pedestrian bridge across the 401 just east of Hespeler Road — which perplexed Don Pavey, chair of Cambridge’s cycling committee. A city-provincial study last year recommended a pedestrian-cycling bridge on or near the Franklin overpass. He’s asked for an explanation.

Jim Mercier likes the idea of a pedestrian bridge near Hespeler Road. He works at the Holiday Inn on the north side of the highway. A bridge would give hotel guests an easy way to go to shopping in the power centre of stores just to the south.

He has worked at hotels along Highway 401 for 25 years. Expansion is long overdue, he said.

“It’s been getting worse and worse, so congested. At least once a week it’s bumper to bumper: it’s stopped.â€

Pat Solomon lives in Cambridge just north of the highway. The 401 should have been widened properly years ago, not in torn up over and over again I piecemeal expansions, he said.

And he’s always wondered why mass transit doesn’t follow the route to get people out of cars.

“Why not put high speed rail right down the middle?â€

kswayze@therecord.com

Link

Too bad no serious provincial politician will even mention tolls on 400 series highways.

To me it's better to have one big highway rather than several smaller ones.

I support the HOV policy, but only if the highway is 5 lanes or more (4 general purpose, 1 HOV). This way the portion of HOV lanes on the road is 20% which is accurate to it's use.
-The 404 has this type of cross-section and it works well.
-The 403 and QEW have a 3 general purpose lanes and 1 HOV (25% ratio) and you see backup on the general lanes while the HOV lanes are underutilized.

So if they're going to widen the 401 to 8 lanes first, add a general lane. When the 10 lane widening comes, then put in the HOV. If they're going to do 6-10 all at once, add one general and one HOV lane.

For the 12 lane section, a collector-express system would work well as it would help separate Highway 6 and Highway 401 traffic.

I say the 401 needs 8 lanes now between Highways 8 and 410 and 10 soon.
-8 lanes will also be needed soon on the 401 between the 402 and 403.

I see a brief mention about a new expressway as a replacement for Highway 6 south of the 401. Does anyone have any info on this? I sometimes make the trip from Burlington to Kitchener, and I've noticed how this is a very heavily travelled route, certainly approaching the threshold of being 400 series highway worthy. I read through the South Ontario Highway Expansion Plan a while ago, and it only made brief mention of it.

When you look at the map, it just so happens that the north section of Highway 6 into Guelph lines up pretty well with the Lincoln Alexander Pkwy & 403 interchange (or the Highway 6 & 403 interchange) in Hamilton. Is this coincidence? Or is this planned?

When you look at the map, it just so happens that the north section of Highway 6 into Guelph lines up pretty well with the Lincoln Alexander Pkwy & 403 interchange (or the Highway 6 & 403 interchange) in Hamilton. Is this coincidence? Or is this planned?
The only thing on the docket in the near future is a Morriston bypass. This would likely be the first phase of an eventual full freeway.

I see a brief mention about a new expressway as a replacement for Highway 6 south of the 401.
The plans on the EA website show the new highway 6 south exiting at a new partial interchange about 1-km west of the existing 6 south interchange (which will also see significant changes - with eastbound traffic from the 401 entering and exiting at a new roundabout about 100 metres east of the existing, and to be removed, 6-south.

http://www.highway401-hespeler-halt...ng and Interchange Plan - Sections 3 & 4 .pdf

The plans on the EA website show the new highway 6 south exiting at a new partial interchange about 1-km west of the existing 6 south interchange (which will also see significant changes - with eastbound traffic from the 401 entering and exiting at a new roundabout about 100 metres east of the existing, and to be removed, 6-south.

http://www.highway401-hespeler-halt...ng and Interchange Plan - Sections 3 & 4 .pdf

I really like the area between the Highway 6's. The extra line seems very handy. The way they designed the lanes entering the 401 from highway 6 to existing at highway 6 was smart.

Thanks for that nfitz. It looks like Highway 6 south will be a 4 lane divided highway as it veers away from the 401. Judging from the basic graphic on this site (http://www.niagara-gta.com/reports.html), it looks like it is going to connect back with the existing Highway 6 right where it goes from 2 lanes to 4 (or 5 if you count the continual centre turning lane), right around the Hamilton-Wellington border. Am I to assume that the entire bypass will be a 400-series highway (even if it's not designated as such)?

Am I to assume that the entire bypass will be a 400-series highway (even if it's not designated as such)?
Lord knows ... the existing piece of 6 north of 401 is designed to be upgraded, but after all these years, only the Wellington Street interchange has been upgraded. Much of 6 south of 5 to 403 has now been upgraded. Presumably it would be designed to be upgraded.

The EA for that project was approved by MOE in 2009 almost 13 years after the EA was submitted.

There's no indication what the configuration is. Presumably there is some discussion of it somewhere.

By 2014, we're supposed to be getting bus bypass shoulders (effectively bus lanes) for the Kitchener-Cambridge aBRT....
I can't see the 401 widening from 8 to Hespler being completed by 2014, as they haven't even started yet.

But hang on ... bus bypass lanes on that piece of the 401, but no HOV lanes? The next stretch from Hespler to Milton has HOV lanes. Wouldn't that make more sense if they are going to bother to widen it?

Lord knows ... the existing piece of 6 north of 401 is designed to be upgraded, but after all these years, only the Wellington Street interchange has been upgraded. Much of 6 south of 5 to 403 has now been upgraded. Presumably it would be designed to be upgraded.

The EA for that project was approved by MOE in 2009 almost 13 years after the EA was submitted.

There's no indication what the configuration is. Presumably there is some discussion of it somewhere.

Yeah, the section of 6 north of the 401 is some bizarre Frankenstein between an at-grade expressway and a full 400 series highway. Not that I mind it though, it's much better to drive on that 6 South. I would think that once the Highway 7 bypass connecting Guelph and Waterloo is built, that the 6 would be upgraded, if nothing else because it would become the main travel route between 7 (or 407, depending on how it's classified), and the 401, much like Highway 8 is in Kitchener now.

I would also think that, at the very least, they would do the same thing with the Morriston bypass. Looking at it though, the only interchange they would really need to build would be at Gore Rd, as it would probably connecting to the existing 6 just south of there.

On a separate but kind of related note, the Province it seems is very reluctant to rename any of the recently upgraded highways to 400-series designations. Highway 8 in Kitchener has yet to be renamed to 408, and recently-completed (yes, it's finally done as of about 2 months ago), 4 lane upgrade of Highway 7 between Ottawa and Carleton Place is still Highway 7, and not 407. Anyone know the rationale behind this?

I can't see the 401 widening from 8 to Hespler being completed by 2014, as they haven't even started yet.

But hang on ... bus bypass lanes on that piece of the 401, but no HOV lanes? The next stretch from Hespler to Milton has HOV lanes. Wouldn't that make more sense if they are going to bother to widen it?

I agree, that does seem rather odd to have the timing like that. The only remotely similar precedent that I can think of is the 417 going out to Kanata. They added Transitway lanes on the outside in late 1990s, and they completed the widening (which made it 3 general lanes + HOV + Bus) of that section in 2009. That's still a significantly larger gap than what's being talked about here though.

Back