230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

YRT 2011-2012 strike

Electrify

Member Bio
Reaction score
YRT strike Oct 24, GO strike averted

Surprised no one has started a thread about this, or even updated the current GO and YRT threads from what I can tell. Figured this would be a great place to post updates and discuss how it may affect you.

For me getting to York, it is still possible since the 99 Yonge and 3 Thornhill bus routes aren't affected, but it would take much longer and I'm certain crowding on those routes is going to be atrocious. Unless I find people who I can carpool with, I am going to push the range of my new e-bike to get to class and back.

Tough luck for me. My preferred trip from Square One to Union is take the GO bus on midday. About 60 minutes, plus cycling from Union to University Ave. Now that trip will length to almost 1hr 45 mins! Slower trip via MiWay and TTC subway. Might well as bike all the way there, for similar time length.

Is there any further details regarding the recent failed tentative agreement between GOTransit and ATU Local 1587?

Tough luck for me. My preferred trip from Square One to Union is take the GO bus on midday. About 60 minutes, plus cycling from Union to University Ave. Now that trip will length to almost 1hr 45 mins! Slower trip via MiWay and TTC subway. Might well as bike all the way there, for similar time length.

Is there any further details regarding the recent failed tentative agreement between GOTransit and ATU Local 1587?
Haven't heard anything, but I haven't been following too closely either. Theedia has been pretty hush about what is on the table, which probably means that the union's demands are reasonable while the employer is being a dick.

There's no GO strike tomorrow, but the majority of YRT services will be.

Here's the list of routes affected or unaffected. Everything except TTC-operated routes and many Vaughan local routes (operated by Violia, which will not strike). Of course, Zum 501 will also still operate over most of Viva Orange. (Brampton settled with their ATU local earlier this year).

http://www.yrt.ca/en/serviceupdates/strike.asp

Last edited:
From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...s-to-strike-monday-go-bus-strike-averted?bn=1

York Region bus drivers to strike Monday, GO bus strike averted

RICK MADONIK/TORONTO STAR
Emily Jackson Staff Reporter

Labour strife reached a boiling point amongst GTA transit workers as Monday morning’s rush-hour commute loomed.

About 560 drivers and mechanics from York Region Transit and Viva express route were set to walk off the job at 4 a.m. Monday, said Bob Kinnear, who represents Viva workers as president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113.

“We’re prepared to stay off the job as long as it takes,” Kinnear said.

As well, 1,500 GO bus drivers and workers were preparing to strike early Monday but the situation was resolved late Sunday night.

I was giving my friend a ride to York today, and while chatting he claimed that GO quietly raised its fares between Richmond Hill and York by 10 cents this week (from $4.20 to $4.30 for adult). I don't know what the adult fares are from RHC to York since I normally take the Viva the whole way, but I did take the GO once last week and noticed it deducted $4.20 from my Presto card, before refunding me credit for taking YRT to GO and my student discount.

From what I can tell, student fares still seem to be the same at about $3.65. I'm thinking of taking the GO tomorrow from RHC, so I will post if my initial fare is still $4.20 or if it is now $4.30...

From what I can tell, student fares still seem to be the same at about $3.65. I'm thinking of taking the GO tomorrow from RHC, so I will post if my initial fare is still $4.20 or if it is now $4.30...
Initial Presto fare for any journey, anywhere on the system, is $4.20, if you have no default.

Presto full-fare price for RHC to York should be $3.98, so it should charge you $4.20 when you tap-in, and refund 22¢ when you tap out. Without Presto, you'd pay $4.30 ... for a one-way ticket. I can't imagine that has changed since last year. Particularly if the $3.65 Student Presto fare is unchanged, as it's always simply a percentage of full-fare.

I think your reading too much into the comments from someone who doesn't no any better ...

Transit strikes should be illegal.
I ussually am a supporter of collective bargaining and unions but transit is an essential service no less so than hospitals, schools, or police.
Transit strikes also disproportionately hurt those who are elderly, low income, and disabled.
They can work to rule.......ie regular service but no rush hour buses, no overtime, etc to make their point and to make sure that the employer is negotiating in good faith but no all out strikes.
The only reason they are even allowed at all is because half the wealthy city councillors have never stepped foot in a bus.

Has anyone heard anything about the YRT strike lately? I haven't even found much on the news sites.

There was a rally in Newmarket the other day. Apparently neither side wants to get back to the bargaining table.

Over the weekend, I am going to email the province asking them to consider back to work legislation. Whether you agree or disagree with the strike, letting commuters in York suffer while neither side cooperates is unacceptable.

Any word on voting on the GO deal? It's been a week and no results have been released yet.

Well, this is frustrating :mad:

Government rejects calls for law ending York transit strike

The Ontario government is rejecting calls from the Progressive Conservatives to bring in back-to-work legislation ending the York Region transit strike making life tough for 70,000 commuters.

“We are not considering or discussing back-to-work legislation in regards to the York Region Transit dispute,†Labour Minister Linda Jeffrey said in a statement Thursday.

“For the sake of the families who rely on York Region Transit services, we urge the parties to return to the bargaining table as soon as possible,†she added, offering the assistance of labour ministry mediators.

“The best agreements are those reached between parties and behind closed doors.â€

Jeffrey’s comments came after three York-area Conservative MPPs held a news conference at Queen’s Park saying it’s unfair that Toronto Transit Commission strikes are now outlawed but suburban ones are not.

“Our residents deserve the same protection,†said MPP Peter Shurman (Thornhill), as he called for the TTC essential services legislation passed by Premier Dalton McGuinty’s government earlier this year to be extended to all GTA transit systems.

Back-to-work legislation was also rejected by Bob Kinnear, head of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, who acknowledged it is “less and less likely†York will accept his proposal for returning to work and sending the contract dispute to a third-party arbitrator.

York Region officials also requested all parties to return to the bargaining table, said regional chairman Bill Fisch.

“York Region wants a timely restoration of transit services — but not at any cost. Transit is the second largest tax-funded expenditure, costing the typical York Region household $340 a year in subsidies. We also have a duty to every resident to deliver a cost-competitive service.â€

I'm actually surprised since much of York Region contains wildcard ridings, and by being fully against any back to work legislation could help the Tories to fully take the county. Hell, it wasn't even a 'let's give it more time before we act' position, but an all out refusal to consider back to work legislation!

I was talking with someone about it, and we came to the conclusion it may be to ensure support from the NDP during this minority government.

I emailed McGuinty's office a while back about the idea of back to work legislation, they forwarded the message to the Ministry of Labour and I have yet to hear back. If I get a reply with more information, I'll be sure to post it.

I think back to work legislation for transit strikes is dead. McGuinty threw the ball into the municipalities court. Any of them can now request that their transit agencies be deemed essential and have their right to strike revoked. There isn't much difference between that and ordering them back to work.

Back