News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Eglinton/Allen Road Westbound North Turning Lanes

salmonz

Member Bio
Reaction score
The new westbound north turn lane at Eglinton & Allen Rd has been a blessing a curse at the same time. In September Toronto City Council approved a project to turn 2 of 3 westbound lanes on Eglinton at Allen Rd into northbound turn lanes. In October the lanes were reconfigured and an additional lane was built on the Allen to handle northerly traffic from eastbound Eglinton.

"City Council approve the designation of the two northerly westbound lanes on Eglinton Avenue West, between W.R. Allen Road Northbound Ramp and a point 85 metres east, for right-turning vehicles only."

This is great however there seems to be a few kinks in the built project. Those traveling westbound on Eglinton still believe the middle lane goes right through. Vehicles are sitting in the middle turn lane at a green light to turn right until the far left lane's traffic light to go straight turns green. Boy - this is angering those wanting to turn right on to the Allen.

Seeing this problem day after day since the configuration was open, the signs which indicate the lanes that are for right only is obstructed be another sign in front exposing only one of the right turn lane signs. The result is drivers still thinking they can go straight and they hold up the cars behind them.

The city should fix this or this would be a prime example of $600,000 of gravy.

Suggestions for the fix:
- City bylaw prohibiting through traffic in the middle right turn lane.
- Clearer signage (maybe overhead signage?) and road markings further out indicating the lanes for right turns only.
- Plastic pole barrier preventing through traffic in the middle lane past the Allen.

Agenda item: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.TE9.41
Staff report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-40377.pdf
Diagram: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-39921.pdf

I actually think this is a very good design. I especially like the separated bike lanes that remove the need for cyclists to cross the two turn lanes. They could use this design in other places, such as the Spadina to Lakeshore/Gardiner on-ramp.

I agree they should put in bollards or a concrete island in the lane across from the middle turn lane to stop vehicles from trying to go through.

What's it like in the afternoon rush hour? Is traffic flowing better now? I've only used it off peak, and even then it helps. Not enough people know about the middle turn lane though, so you still have some backing up in the right lane while the middle lane is free.

Is there a arrow pointing right painted in the middle lane? I'm sure people will eventually get used to it though. I imagine the ones wanting to turn right will honk at the person in the middle lane that didn't realize you have to turn right.

Is there a arrow pointing right painted in the middle lane? I'm sure people will eventually get used to it though. I imagine the ones wanting to turn right will honk at the person in the middle lane that didn't realize you have to turn right.

No amount of honking will move those people. I gave up and just stayed in the far right.

Today I noticed a "New" sign placed on top of the double right turn signs.

Traffic is moving amazing (with the exception of the middle lane hiccup) through this area now.

I wonder what they're going to do about the southbound Allen at Eglinton, it's still backed up for 1-2km.

I actually think this is a very good design. I especially like the separated bike lanes that remove the need for cyclists to cross the two turn lanes. They could use this design in other places, such as the Spadina to Lakeshore/Gardiner on-ramp.

I agree they should put in bollards or a concrete island in the lane across from the middle turn lane to stop vehicles from trying to go through.

Agreed on both points.

No amount of honking will move those people. I gave up and just stayed in the far right.

Today I noticed a "New" sign placed on top of the double right turn signs.

Traffic is moving amazing (with the exception of the middle lane hiccup) through this area now.

I wonder what they're going to do about the southbound Allen at Eglinton, it's still backed up for 1-2km.

they arent going to do anything aboit the south ound allen because eglinton cant handle more cars. but they do have plans to make a tunnel turning lane onto the allen for cars coming from the west.

Last edited:
Has the city ever considered installing a large roundabout here?

roundabouts could be installed with plenty of room at lawrence if they removed the south bound entrance onto the allen and the allen exit northbound at lawrence.

there is no room for roundabouts at eglinton. there is a park and a police station in the way. besides again there is no room for all those extra cars on eglinton.

it is a VERY active park filled with philipinos nannys taking care of rich jewish kids. That was not intended to sound racist but instead a observation from walking by it daily. theres a reason the allen stopped here. the rich people in the neighbourhood didnt want it cutting through the neighbourhood. it wont be any easier to get online ramps at this intersection.

Although it wasn't my intention, I like the idea of removing the ramps from the south side of Lawrence and replacing them with roundabouts, although I like the idea of removing the Allen altogether much more.

I was talking about the lands to the north beside the eglinton west subway station, not the park to the south. It would be possible to build a roundabout on top of those lands and not touch the park to the south.

i think if there was proper on and off ramps at lawrence it would spread the traffic out between the two intersections. i could see driving a bit out of my way to use a proper on off ramp versus waiting in a bottleneck. that being said really the allen could work well for lawrence but eglinton will always be a battle with the t intersection. the plus is with three subway stations there if they were to stop the allen at eglinton they could fill the space with condos walking distance from the subway stations which would ideally not add to the traffic.

I was talking about the lands to the north beside the eglinton west subway station, not the park to the south. It would be possible to build a roundabout on top of those lands and not touch the park to the south.

could you make a drawing? i cant visualize it.

this land is planned to be condos. its already been in the local newspaper. they need the land now for construction of the lrt but after it is going to be condo.

Back