News   Mar 28, 2024
 19     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 342     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

Sweet Jesus, enough of this #$!@ already. I have to wonder what the little sycophant(s) who is obsessing on Toronto and Olympics bids would be doing now if Toronto had won the 1996 Olympics. They'd still be asking themselves what to do so the world will notice us, will like us, will admire us. Enough already.

I don't see an Olympic bid as a vanity project, but more a way to force the levels of government, private entities etc to upgrade existing infrastructure. Maybe then a DRL could be built....

I don't see an Olympic bid as a vanity project, but more a way to force the levels of government, private entities etc to upgrade existing infrastructure. Maybe then a DRL could be built....

So the only way to build the infrastructure we need is to also build a lot of infrastructure we don't need?

Yes. The only way to get federal funds for a new subway line in Toronto is to hold the Olympics. Maybe I'm being too pragmatic, but I support an Olympic bid solely because it will lead to federal funding for Toronto infrastructure, something we haven't seen on a significant level in decades.

Yes. The only way to get federal funds for a new subway line in Toronto is to hold the Olympics. Maybe I'm being too pragmatic, but I support an Olympic bid solely because it will lead to federal funding for Toronto infrastructure, something we haven't seen on a significant level in decades.

I agreee! Which is the only reason I was upset we lost 2020. With unsurpising reports out that Toronto is the most hated city in canada it is hard to imagine that the rest of the country yet alone province will willingly help us build a desperately needed subway. It also gives a time line. Those are two important goals.

Dalton is a huge fan of the Olympics, which is the only vote you need from the Province. lol

2015 is when Canada emerges from the red.

2015 is two years after the next Toronto mayoral election so Rob Ford could be out of office which seems likely.

Dalton is a huge fan of the Olympics, which is the only vote you need from the Province. lol

2015 is when Canada emerges from the red.

2015 is two years after the next Toronto mayoral election so Rob Ford could be out of office which seems likely.

If it wasnt for the marathon meetings over tax cuts I am sure football happy Rob Ford would have been in support of the olympics. I do not like Rob Ford but I was hoping this was the one thing he could have provided which again could have helped his case for subways. Rob ford gets his NFL size stadium, Toronto gets Subway expansion, All 3 forms of government split the bill...

So, the politicians all make their promises on infrastructure for the bid officials, all the while delaying or postponing any approved projects pending the bid. When the bid fails, all the projects get canceled, delayed or modified -leading to years of delay.

Politicians love the Olympic Bids, it gives them the opportunity to make bold promises that hinge on an unlikely event, and in the case the event comes to pass, they can then pressure other levels of government to pay for their promises.

So the only way to build the infrastructure we need is to also build a lot of infrastructure we don't need?
What infrastructure do we get that we won't need? We badly need sports infrastructure in the GTA. Instead of having our athletes travel the country or need to travel to other countries to train, they could train here. It's expensive, but I see it as agood investment for our future.

Here is the Star's story on the same matter.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1087216--olympic-bid-an-economic-boost-councillor-says?bn=1

The problem here, IMO, is the sort of Pan Am games we are hosting. I have always thought, and said, the Pan Ams are what you make them. You could host spartan games with base facilitiies and have a relatively minor event (that seems to be what we are doing) which limits cost and risk and will be a nice couple of weeks. Or you could overbuild for the Pan Ams, make them a big deal and hope that leads to future Olympics (that seems to be what Rio did....successfuly).

In this article Councillor Thompson seems to miss that aspect and, again just my opinion, few (any?) of the venues that are being built for the Pan Ams will have any use for an Olympics. Since the athletes village being built for the Pan Ams will be re-used after the games as a mix of social and market housing, even that would have to be done again in 2024 if the bid was successful.

The time to make our Pan Ams a pre-olympics (in all regards except proving we can host something) has passed and the Pan Ams we are putting together (rightly or wrongly) are not the sort of "Rio" games they hosted.

Exactly. Even the Aquatic center has to be about 3X the size so a new facility is needed there. The only new venue I can see being used is the field hockey venue but even that needs to double in capacity.

wile_e_coyote_and_road_runner_wallpaper-29519.jpg

kellie_williams1.jpg

Quebec_Referendum_Ballot.jpg

Back