News   Mar 28, 2024
 321     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     0 

Parking Problem

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
So there's a van that parks where I live. It's got license plates on it and the owner moves it between 3 different spots in the neighbourhood every couple days so it's not considered an abandoned vehicle. Every day it gets ticketed a few times but the owner doesn't care. He's basically using the van as an obnoxious 'billboard' and I guess just thinks of the parking tickets as the cost of his media buy (way cheaper per month than buying an actual billboard). It's a huge eye sore and it's been going on for a few weeks now. He's on city property so the condo corporation says it's out of their hands and we i talked to parking agents they say all they can do is keep ticketing him (which has absolutely no effect).

What can I do (legally) to get this guy permanently out of neighbourhood?

photo.JPG

From what you've described so far, there is not much you can do legally.
Possibly write to your city Councillor to complain and hope for a new bylaw on these mobile billboards?
How about calling the number on the van to complain? If you & all concerned parties call frequently enough, maybe the company would get the hint? Better yet see if you can get the media involved to shame the company into moving.
Is it really that much of an eyesore to have your knickers tied up in a knot?

Last edited:
He also permanently takes up 1 of only 3 street parking spots in front of Sobeys for days at a time.

Actually no it's a customer issue if you're trying to find parking. Sobeys doesn't own the spots.

I always wondered this. How long can you actually park a vehicle on the street? 3 days? 10? A month?

Three hours. There are signs coming into the city off the highways making notice of this.

Talk to Rob Ford. This should be a problem he can solve easily.

"You Bitches. Don't you f'ing know who I am? I am Rob F'ing Ford. Now move the van."

Wow, talk about NIMBYism..... maybe I should start complaining about all the annyoing protesters in St. James park... illegally camped out too!

Wow, talk about NIMBYism...

????

How is this NIMBYism, do you even understand the definition of the term?

Comparing someone that's parked his van illegally for selfish business purposes as an illegal billboard for a week to LEGAL peaceful protesters fighting for change in the system.

I don't wish his van was parked somewhere else illegally for weeks, I wish it was towed to the pound.

Troll much?

????

How is this NIMBYism, do you even understand the definition of the term?

Comparing someone that's parked his van illegally for selfish business purposes as an illegal billboard for a week to LEGAL peaceful protesters fighting for change in the system.

I don't wish his van was parked somewhere else illegally for weeks, I wish it was towed to the pound.

Troll much?

From the sounds of it.......true the van, with a questionable paint-job, has been parked for a duration that exceeds the three hour limit. Said van has been ticketed for the offense with relatively minor financial penalties and has not been in the same stationary spot to warrant a tow. If the van's paint job has been easier on the eye, i.e. non-commercial then the OP would not be offended but since it did.......sounds like an overly sensitive individual to me..........;p

The van owner has clearly figured out, that the cost of the parking tickets per month are less than the cost of an advertising sign. He's gamed the system and won.

Talk to you councillor ... get the rules changed.

????
Troll much?

Um... actually camping out overnight at a public park is actually ILLEGAL under city by-laws. If the laws were enforced the same manner as it has to your truck billboard, each and everyone of those protesters would receive a citation and face the potential of being arrested.

The truck owner fully pays his/her debt for his actions through parking tickets. What's the problem? It's slightly amusing that a van parked on the street would agitate you enough to consider taking action....

Um... actually camping out overnight at a public park is actually ILLEGAL under city by-laws. If the laws were enforced the same manner as it has to your truck billboard, each and everyone of those protesters would receive a citation and face the potential of being arrested.

The truck owner fully pays his/her debt for his actions through parking tickets. What's the problem? It's slightly amusing that a van parked on the street would agitate you enough to consider taking action....

that's not solid thinking. i've camped out at public parks in the downtown core very often this past summer, and no hassle from anyone. cops say one thing but do another. one can camp out, it should be a free country in that respect.

So is parking on a city street for more than 3-hours without a permit. Like that one ever gets enforced in most neighbourhoods, except in the overnight 12:01 to 7:00 AM areas.

Back