News   Apr 18, 2024
 475     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Tories pare back increases in Commons seats for Ontario, B.C.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Globe:

Government sources report that, in legislation soon to be introduced by Tim Uppal, the Minister of State for Democratic Reform, Ontario’s seat count will increase by 13 seats from its current allotment of 106. This is down from the 18 seats it was to have received in previous legislation that died with the last Parliament.

British Columbia would receive five seats, down from its original allotment of seven, while Alberta would actually increase its count by six, up from its original five. Quebec would receive two seats, to keep its representation in the House from dropping below its share of the population.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-commons-seats-for-ontario-bc/article2205121/

Ontario (well, specifically GTA) getting screwed again?

AoD

Everyone: I find it interesting that Canada is increasing House of Commons representation with the increase in Canada's population...

The US House of Representatives has been frozen at 435 members for some time and I feel that there should be more representation as
states grow-and not the current system in which growing states "take" representatives from other states...
Canada has the right idea by making the House of Commons larger-a better move in my opinion...LI MIKE

The curtailment of proper Ontario representation is being done for the benefit of Quebec and Alberta.

Nice Mr. Harper. Thanks for telling us exactly where your interests lie.

The curtailment of proper Ontario representation is being done for the benefit of Quebec and Alberta.
Why do you say that? When I crunched the numbers based on recent Stats Can population estimates, it would give about 111,000 to 112,000 or so per seat for Ontario, BC, and Alberta.

The only new benefit seems to be to Quebec ... and all provinces pay that price, not just Ontario.

The system is rotten. We need proportional representation in elections, and anyone who disagrees is indeed in disagreement with me.

Indeed. If I were to choose a representative democracy by election, it would be some form of proportional representation (I like the German system myself). Although if I were allowed, I would prefer sortition over election, which would at a stroke virtually eliminate the influence of "big money", and ensure a truly representative group of legislators.

Back