Toronto ME Living Condos | 108.83m | 34s | Lash Group | Turner Fleischer

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...s-to-be-demolished-near-markham-and-ellesmere

Six-storey apartments to be demolished near Markham and Ellesmere

Developer to build new units for tenants, condos in area

MIKE ADLER|Oct 10, 2011 - 1:30 PM

The effort to bring fresh life to the area around Markham and Ellesmere roads saw significant progress this week when Scarborough councillors agreed to demolish a pair of six-storey apartment buildings.

In return for building replacement apartments for all the tenants at Meadowglen Place in a 16-storey building and creating a new local park, a developer was given approval to construct three condominium buildings of up to 24 storeys with 640 units, 32 stacked townhouses and some ground-floor retail.

An application for the property in 2008, and another to build condo towers at 1221 Markham, helped spur Scarborough Centre Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker to launch a revitalization plan for the area, one that would ultimately improve local streetscapes and community safety by guiding development.

The developer will pay $800,000 in return for added density, part of which will create a new park on Brimorton with $300,000 of playground equipment and a splash pad. Another $75,000 will go to the TTC for transit signal priority at three nearby intersections.

I usually cringe when I hear the names, Turner & Fleischer, but considering the location and what it's replacing, this actually looks alright/tolerable. The buildings will line-up with the main street, and there will be ground-floor retail.

scarborg.jpg

scarborg2.jpg

scarborg3.jpg

Last edited:
Great Pizza/Burger place in the plaza in front "Real McCoy"

Developer: LASH DEVELOPMENTS

http://meliving.ca

From the Condo Guide Annual:

ME - Markham and Ellesmere Living, it's all about M.E. Coming soon, a modern master planned community of Condominiums, Townhomes, Shops, and Services. Ideally located with everything at your doorstep including the TTC. Come home to M.E.

It's nice to finally see some pedestrian friendly development going up in Scarborough.

Is this actually pedestrian friendly or just high density? It seems like the usual policy of loading up suburban arterial intersections with high density apartments without any care of how to provide the necessary services/amenities to support the population. Scarborough's been doing the same thing since the 1970s.

Funny how the render neglects to depict this building directly across the street.

I agree with Silence and Motion. This isn't "pedestrian friendly". This is a self-contained, automobile-oriented high density, masterplanned condo project that is built with complete disregard for the surrounding area and users others than its own residents.

It's basically Dubai in the snow.

Back