Toronto Qube Condos | ?m | 8s | First Avenue | Romanov Romanov

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
New condo coming to The Queensway and Avon Park Dr. west of Royal York in Etobicoke. http://www.qubecondos.com will tell you that there will be 79 units. If you search the city's Development Applications web page you will find, oddly, an application from this past February for a single-storey retail building on this site.

The land used to have a gas station on it. That was removed and the tanks dug out a year or so ago. Immediately to the west is a stand-alone Beer Store. Immediately north is Queensway Park and storey-and-a-half post-war homes.

Awesome! I can picture the Queensway being quite an impressive, lively, urban avenue in about 20 years.

MODS

DEVELOPER: First Avenue Properties (Jack Morelli)

Wow, this is quite interesting. Queensway will soon become new revamped avenue with new living standards. First Loggia Condos, then Hive Lofts on Lady Bank and Queensway, then IQ condos and now Qube Condos. Keep new developments coming in on the Queensway!

They initially applied to build a single storey "Bulk Barn". I told them I would put them through hell trying to get Site Plan Approval for it and encouraged them to do a mixed use building. After about one month they came back with a four storey proposal. They then applied to Committee of Adjustment for a nine storey building (which was too high), and finally settled on a six storey building which was approved by Committee of Adjustment earlier this month.

Welcome to UrbanToronto Councillor Milczyn, thanks for sharing that. I wonder however, why nine stories was 'too high' when one considers that both Loggia and IQ are buildings of more substantial size and that the proposed building would front on a large, arterial road?

Awesome! I can picture the Queensway being quite an impressive, lively, urban avenue in about 20 years.

My own TransitCity plan has LRT along Queensway to Sherway Gdns (an extension of an improved Queen St LRT)
I also see a lot of potential along the street, esp around Royal York.

My own TransitCity plan has LRT along Queensway to Sherway Gdns (an extension of an improved Queen St LRT)
I also see a lot of potential along the street, esp around Royal York.

Yes, I've had the exact same thought as well. The Queensway ROW should branch off at Humber Loop and continue in the centre of the Queensway in a new ROW all the way to Sherway Gardens, where it would loop around the mall (and hopefully link up with a new Bloor subway expansion). It's a total no-brainer - the street is wide enough to accomodate it, the Official Plan has it listed as one of the "avenues" where it would like to see mid-rise, mixed use development, it's already urbanizing nicely, and would have a major destination/trip generator. This stretch could, and should be Etobicoke's version of Spadina. Why an LRT here isn't on the TTC's radar yet frustrates me.

B has a rendering for this one:

2012_08_31_02_12_16_qubecondos.gif

Looks like Core to me.

Back