News   Mar 28, 2024
 84     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 225     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

The Samsung deal will increase bills $65 a year

Aren't Ontarians tired of listening to this BS?
The Samsung deal is a good long term move.
Think about 20 years from now not the next 2 years.

The problem we have is that the people that are in power - who make the decisions - probably won't be alive to reap the benefits, so why pay more now?

Aren't Ontarians tired of listening to this BS?
The Samsung deal is a good long term move.
Think about 20 years from now not the next 2 years.

well said. ppl need to look forward. the rest of the world is adding alternative power. it is not for certain it will help in any significant way, but doing nothing is actually going backwards.

What does this have to do with Toronto issues? - moved to politics. And on top of that, I can't help but wonder the union politics behind the website.

AoD

The $65 figure is a little meaningless when comparing apples to oranges (700 sq. ft. condo to large suburban home).

We're supposed to take seriously a claim made by the Power Workers Union - who stand to lose jobs under this?

Note that the article says "up to $65 a year". So that means that for the consumer with the largest hydro bill in the province, it could be $65 but may be less. There are houses in this province as big as 65,000 square feet. That's about 65-times bigger than my house. So for a more average house ... $1-$2 a year?

Unions ...

Last edited:
Ontario consumers risk paying up to $65 a year extra in electricity bills because of the province's renewable energy agreement with Samsung.

Article here: http://abetterenergyplan.ca/#/news/samsung_energy_deal

Is it worth it?

$65 a year extra? ARE YOU KIDDING:confused: Its more like at least $65 a month extra or more!

Thanks to the McGuinty/Smitherman Green Energy Act - Solar energy providers will be paid 80 cents / kWh which almost 20 times the current wholesale price of about 4 cents / kWh.

Adding this overpriced and unreliable source of energy to our energy supply mix will drive our energy rates through the roof :mad: and drive energy intensive industries (AND JOBS) out of Ontario :mad:

So where is the "father" of Ontario's "Green Energy Act" today?

Failed Mayoral candidate George Smitherman is the "Chairman & Principal" of G&G Global Solutions - a consulting company that advises Green Energy Companies!

Recently he gave the keynote address to a Solar Energy conference where he rubbed shoulders with the many companies that stand to profit from his "Green Energy" "F.I.T" (feed in tariff) program. I wonder how many of these companies he was able to pick up as clients that day :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdbP4FTZqLE

Food for thought as we get ready to head to the polls this week. Can we really afford any more "Green Energy act" or "e-health" scams:confused:

Last edited:
$65 a year extra? ARE YOU KIDDING:confused: Its more like at least $65 a month extra or more!
Your post makes absolutely no sense. An extremely biased group comes up with a $65/year highball ... and you think it should be 12 times higher?

Electricity rates won't go up 8-times. An extremely small - almost negligible - kW-hrs will be purchased at that rate. The impact on hydro rates will barely be perceptible.

The front end of the deal is reasonable - incentives to bring billions of investment into domestic production of a growing commodity. It won't create anywhere near 16,000 jobs, though it may cost that many in other sectors because the back end of the deal is horrible. Paying more than 10 times the going rate for the power that Samsung will generate is an awful decision, since we're obligated to buy it even when we're paying other regions to take our excess power now.

The global track record of governments investing into green jobs is not good at all. Billions are spent to create a few hundred jobs while choking out thousands. Companies that had taken hundreds of millions in subsidies go broke because the deals only make sense if the value of their goods is not under pressure of competition from the rest of the world and dropping continually, and if even more government subsidies are used as incentives for people to purchase those products.

To be clear - I support the intention of the front part of the Samsung deal - but strongly oppose the back end of it. It might be $40 or $50 or $65 a year in the early years, but that will triple or quadruple within a decade because governments can't go around selling things for 0.10 that they paid 0.80 for. That's a one-way road to going broke.

To be clar - no big government is good government. Free market would make the deal reasonable and actually create jobs but the Canadian government needs to act like a social butterfly so they intervene in every way to make it in their favour, only to be proven wrong later at the end of the deal.

Like what Mike Harris did with Ontario's electricity market? http://www.mapleleafweb.com/old/education/spotlight/issue_25/deregulation.html

Mike Harris is just another status quo. He's no different from McGuinty, in my view. I could put Bush and Obama in the same sentence as this guy.

Harris' "deregulation" was nothing more than selling taxpayer-paid crown corporations to private interest to buy polls. It's nothing more than pork barrel politics. Should the "deregulation" really be successful the government should NOT add tax nor regulate the business market no matter whatsoever. Instead another tax is added onto your electricity bill. And then Harris's goons would still rein its grip on centralizing the role how the electricity business should be run. Don't forget having to deal with unions in this sector. Under this implement your bill will rise because of regressive tax, unnecessary regulations and lots of closed-door deal that will waste another rounds of taxpayer's money.

And the hypothetical results? Ontario's would-have-been Ponzi scheme, just like what Smitherman pulled with e-health.

Should the "deregulation" really be successful the government should NOT add tax nor regulate the business market no matter whatsoever.

Then how would you explain the gasoline prices which are marked up immediately at any sign of turmoil yet take ages to come down even though crude market prices drop. Or how about the poor regulation of the banking system in the States which lead to the mortgage crisis?

And the hypothetical results? Ontario's would-have-been Ponzi scheme, just like what Smitherman pulled with e-health.

Speaking of Smitherman and SAMSUNG - Smitherman was the Minister of Energy when the no-bid secret multi-billion dollar contract with SAMSUNG was negotiated. During the mayoral campaign, Smitherman boasted of flying to Seoul during the negotiations. $7 Billion is the amount that SAMSUNG is investing in exchange for Ontario agreeing to pay SAMSUNG Tariff's up to 10 X higher than the current wholesale rate! The cost to Ontario energy consumers of paying over-inflated rates during the life of this contract will be many times more than $7 Billion!

So what is George Smitherman - the "father of the green-energy act" and feed-in-tariff "FIT" program up to these days:confused:

He has set up his own consulting business "G&G Global Solutions" with an emphasis on companies working in the green energy sector looking to do business in Ontario.

http://georgesmitherman.com/Profesional.html

Recently he spoke at Wind-Energy / Feed-in-tariff conferences in Korea and in Halifax where he would have rubbed shoulders with prospective clients which include companies that have profited or stand to profit under contracts awarded when he was minister of energy! Its a situation that I think stinks. As a "consultant" what services will companies be paying him for? Since I doubt he has any real expertise in the Energy field (he was a high-school drop-out) are companies going to be paying him for access to Queens Park? Will he be awarded large consulting contracts in consideration of services already rendered? Did he get any business from SAMSUNG on his trip there earlier this month? I'm surprised that the media hasn't picked up on this yet. I guess too many people view this as business as usual. Many politicians do this after they leave office but in my opinion it smells of corruption.

Last edited:

Back