News   Mar 28, 2024
 280     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 642     0 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

brewster

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks to Lone Primate for giving me the Then/Now bug. The first 2 are credited to him. Its nice to have an addiction where I don't wake up sore all over.

TN-VicFinch2LonePrimate Credit by Mr T.O., on Flickr

TN-VicFinch1LonePrimate Credit by Mr T.O., on Flickr

ZIONWEXFORD2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Zion-Wexford_Church_Plaque by Mr T.O., on Flickr

zingburger by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Woodgrove by Mr T.O., on Flickr

WOODFERN--EGLINTON by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Willows--IusedtheviewnorthoftheLawrenceBridge by Mr T.O., on Flickr

L'Amoreaux's first settler was Josue L'Amoreaux, a loyalist of French Huguenot descent who arrived here with his wife, seven children and two nephews, around 1816. The spiritual centres of this pioneer community were St. Paul's Church L'Amoreaux and Christie's Methodist Church, which were both established in the 1840's. While these churches are no longer standing, their cemeteries have endured. St. Paul's L'Amoreaux cemetery is tucked away at the south-west corner of Finch and Warden Avenues, while Christie's Methodist Church cemetery is now part of a small park at the entranceway to the Bridlewood Mall.

In 1847, L'Amoreaux was given the designation as School Section #1, in the former Township of Scarborough. A few years later, in 1854, a post office was established here. L'Amoreaux's transition from a farming hamlet to a modern day subdivision took place in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. The "Devonsleigh" house built in 1850 is a visual reminder of L'Amoreaux's past. This historic home is located at 4125 Steeles Avenue East where it is now a popular restaurant.

DEVONSLIE by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Last edited:

WARDENANDKINGSTONROAD--1953--2010 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

WardenandKingstonRoad by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Wexford began in the 1840's as a crossroads community centred around "The Rising Sun Inn," which was situated on the south-west corner of what is now the Lawrence and Pharmacy Avenue intersection. This popular Inn was owned by Richard Sylvester, who hailed from Wexford County, Ireland.

In 1865, a post office was opened in Sylvester's "Rising Sun Inn." Sylvester named this post office Wexford, which from that time onward, also became the official name of this community.

An historical landmark held over from Wexford's pioneer days is St. Jude's Church, situated on the east side of Victoria Park Avenue, south of Lawrence Avenue. This church was built in 1848 by local farmers. St. Jude's is one of the oldest standing churches in Toronto.

Wexford endured as a quiet farming hamlet until the 1950's, when the present day neighbourhood was developed.

WardenandGuild by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Warden3 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

WARDEN EAST SIDE NORTH OF LAWRENCE by Mr T.O., on Flickr

WARDEN AND K.R. by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VictoriaParklookingnorthtoCurlew2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VictoriaParklookingnorthtoCurlew by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VictoriaParklookingsouthtoLawrence2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VPlookingsouthtoKR by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VPandKRlookingnortheast by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VPandDanforth by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VPSubway2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

VPSubway by Mr T.O., on Flickr

ViewfromthebackoftheGuildInn by Mr T.O., on Flickr
The history of Guildwood revolves around The Guild Inn which was founded in 1932 by Rosa and Spencer Clark as a retreat for artists and craftsmen. "The Guild of All Arts," as it was then known featured workshops and studios, in a picturesque setting atop the Scarborough Bluffs.

During World War II, The Guild Inn was used as an official naval base called "HMCS Bytown II, and then later as a specialized military hospital known as "Scarborough Hall." After the war, The Guild Inn was returned to the Clarks and its popularity rose to new heights.

In the 1950's rising taxes forced the Clarks to sell 400 acres of their property to the developers who built the present day Guildwood neighbourhood. In 1978 the Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority purchased the remainder of the Guild Inn estate, thus preserving its beauty for future generations to explore and enjoy.

Last edited:
Wow, nice work! I'm particularly taken with the Victoria Park bridge shots over the tracks. Slightly older views would have shown where Lawrence Avenue once met Victoria Park there just yards north of the tracks. What's now called Roanoke Road in that vicinity used to be Lawrence Avenue till the mid 1960s.

Wow, nice work! I'm particularly taken with the Victoria Park bridge shots over the tracks. Slightly older views would have shown where Lawrence Avenue once met Victoria Park there just yards north of the tracks. What's now called Roanoke Road in that vicinity used to be Lawrence Avenue till the mid 1960s.

Thanks Lone. I've seen the ones you have done , good job. Post all you Scarborough ones here if you like. I'll correct myself in saying the first one I saw of yours was 1230 Ellesmere around Birkdale.

brewster;558815 [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/36903798@N07/6158741439/ said:
6158741439_947f2134b7_b.jpg
[/url]
SS by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Sunshades really make an architectural difference.

SKF--BIRCHMOUNT AND EGLINGTON by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

SILVER MILE--MARKHAM AND KINGSTON ROAD by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

SEWELLS AND OLD FINCH LOOKING SOUTH by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

SEWELLS AND OLD FINCH LOOKING NORTH by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

The Scarboro Golf & Country Club has a truly unique and colorful history which dates back to 1912. That year, Toronto stockbroker A.E. Ames had a vision of constructing a challenging golf course and an elegant Clubhouse.
The 144 acre site he chose was in the Scarboro Heights district, approximately 12 miles
from downtown Toronto near Kingston Road and The Bluffs that overlook Lake Ontario.
Noted golf professional and architect George Cumming designed the original course.
In 1914, the handsome clubhouse and 18 hole golf course were formally opened.
With a creek that comes into play as many as 11 times in 18 holes, the hills, gullies, and trees are arranged in such profusion they make artificial hazards almost unnecessary at Scarboro.
Although nature's original gifts of magnificent hills, towering trees, excellent soil and winding creek are still there, the founders of the Club would
hardly recognize the site today.
In 1924 famed eccentric New York golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast, the designer of the notable U.S. Open courses Winged Foot and Baltusrol, re-created the classic design that Scarboro members enjoy today.

SCARBOROUGH GOLF CLUB by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

SCARBOROUGH GOLF AND KINGSTON ROAD LOOKING NORTH by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

SCARBOROUGH GENERAL HOSPITAL by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

3750 KINGSTON ROAD by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

A&W-SANTOS-WINDIES LAWRENCE EAST OF BELLAMY by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

RUNNING PUMP OLD KINGSTON ROAD AND MILITARY ROAD by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos

6159285360_0f91ab5dda_b.jpg

When I see pictures like this, I'm reminded about how Toronto actually has a lot of great historic buildings, but they're treated with such contempt. TD has basically done everything it possibly could to ruin a beautiful streamline moderne facade: removing the flagpole, stripping the marble accents and replacing them with aluminum siding, replacing the distinctive windows with standard spandrels, and...the coup de grace...replacing the striking signage with backlit commercial crap.

Thanks for the photos

When I see pictures like this, I'm reminded about how Toronto actually has a lot of great historic buildings, but they're treated with such contempt. TD has basically done everything it possibly could to ruin a beautiful streamline moderne facade: removing the flagpole, stripping the marble accents and replacing them with aluminum siding, replacing the distinctive windows with standard spandrels, and...the coup de grace...replacing the striking signage with backlit commercial crap.

Well said H.D. When I went down there to take this photo I was actually shocked to see what T.D. had done. I would like to see a colour photo of the top one if possible one day.

LOOKING EAST ON LAWRENCE TOWARDS THE HOSPITAL by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

ROYCROFT MOTEL 3137 KINGSTON ROAD by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

POST OFFICE KENNEDY AND EGLINGTON by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

POPULAR & KINGSTON ROAD by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

LA VILLA PIZZA--KENNEDY & CORVETTE by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

PIERRETRUDEAU1968RALLY--CENTENNIALARENAPARKINGLOT--INCOMPLETE1050MARKHAMINTHEBACKGROUND by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

PICKERING FARMS CLIFFSIDE PLAZA by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

PARKWAY PLAZA VICTORIA PARK & ELLESMERE by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr
Parkway Mall was built in the late 1950s, designed by Toronto architectural firm Bregman and Hamann. It was commissioned by the Bronfman family of Montreal through Fairview Corp., (later to become Cadillac Fairview), and may have been the first mall to have been thus commissioned. The plaza is owned by First Capital Realty.
Heritage status
In 2009, the city of Toronto nominated Parkway's supermarket as a heritage property. The nominated heritage site was in 1958 a supermarket with a distinctive curved roofline designed by Bregman and Hamann. It is currently a Metro store, but it was originally a Grand Union store under the Steinberg's name. It had been a Dominion up until 2008.

Old Scott House by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Old_Scott_House_Plaque by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

NorthWest-BirchmountandKR by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MidlandandLockie by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Agincourt_School_Plaque by Mr T.O., on Flickr

MidlandandEglintonlookingwest2 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MidlandandEglintonlookingwest by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MidlandandEglintonlookingsouth by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MidlandandEglintonlookingnorthwest by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MidlandandEglintonlookingeast by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

midlandandeg by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos

Then again, who knows. If TD pulls out of that location, new tenants may choose to restore (imagine the stainless steel letters S T A R B U C K S rounding the corner?)

Then again, who knows. If TD pulls out of that location, new tenants may choose to restore (imagine the stainless steel letters S T A R B U C K S rounding the corner?)

From the T.D. down the whole north side of K.R. is a strip of stores badly in need of a 50's makeover. When has it become ok to open up a store with a hand drawn piece of wood to advertise your store? I love doing Then/Now photo's but have never been impressed with the way the now looks. Yours sincerly , Happy living in the past Brewster.

midandayllesworthroad by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

midandallesworthsouth by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MARKHAMROADFIREHALL by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MarkhamandPaintedPost1 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

MarkhamandLawrencelookingNorthWest by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

markham and markana by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Knox Manse, Syl Apps home.
Midland Ave. north of Lockie, opposite Agincourt C.I.
Built as the manse for Knox Presbyterian Church in the 19th century, the dwelling was later the home of hockey great Syl Apps and family.
It is designated a historic site.

Midland north of Sheppard by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Mc Lawrence between Midland and Brimley by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

LookingSouthonVPat1757-1759---1959-2011 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

LookingNorthonVPat1757-1759--1959-2011 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

LOBLAWS--NORTHEASTKENNEDYANDEGLINTON by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Last edited:

Back