Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: 111 Richmond West | ?m | 16s | Oxford Properties | Peter Dickinson

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Great news!

Oxford Properties Group Announces $65 Million Redevelopment at 111 Richmond W
Complete Redevelopment with Fall 2012 Occupancy; 60% Pre-Leased

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Sept. 7, 2011) -

Oxford is pleased to announce the redevelopment of 111 Richmond W, one of Toronto's icons of architectural modernism. The 215,000 square foot office property will be completely redeveloped to the latest standards in technology and environmental specifications while preserving the design integrity of renowned architect Peter Dickinson. The building is 60% pre-leased, including a lease of 89,000 square feet to one of the world's largest technology companies and a lease of 40,000 square feet to a leading Canadian accounting firm.

"Oxford is delighted to present a dynamic workplace solution at 111 Richmond W and the Richmond-Adelaide Centre," said Blake Hutcheson, President and CEO of Oxford Properties Group. "111 Richmond W is a terrific example of a minimalist architectural period and its redevelopment will introduce leading sustainability features and revitalized finishes that build on the original architectural vision. The building will provide a unique boutique head office environment for these occupiers right in the middle of Toronto's financial core, all supported by Oxford's unparalleled service platform. We are really pleased to have been able to attract world class organizations to this great asset and to help them grow their businesses from this exciting new state-of-the-art space."

The redevelopment of 111 Richmond W will complement the recent redevelopment projects across the Richmond-Adelaide Centre, which have included new PATH amenities, office lobbies, sustainability initiatives including new systems and the recently completed public courtyard on Richmond Street West. Together, the projects at the Richmond-Adelaide Centre represent over $100 million of commitment by Oxford to the complex, and to the City of Toronto.

111 Richmond W is a key component of the Richmond-Adelaide Centre, a 1.6 million square foot, five building office complex in the heart of Toronto's downtown core. 111 Richmond W features a public plaza, period lobby and extensive use of natural light. It is being redeveloped to LEED Shell and Core standards. The redevelopment will be completed by Fall 2012.

About Oxford
Oxford Properties Group is a global platform for real estate investment, development and management, with over 1,300 employees and approximately $17 billion of real assets that it manages for itself and on behalf of its co-owners and investment partners. Established in 1960, Oxford has regional offices in Toronto, London and New York, and the company's portfolio includes approximately 50 million square feet of office, retail, industrial, multi-family and hotel properties. Oxford is the real estate arm of the OMERS Worldwide Group of Companies.

For more information visit www.oxfordproperties.com.

20110907-oxprop800.jpg

"...downtown Toronto's allure as a business location is at record levels. From business, financial and risk perspectives, the city is seen as a safe-bet central location for global companies wanting a North American and/or global presence. Google recently signed a 90,000-square foot lease at 111 Richmond - great news for Oxford's Class A building, which is expected to make a splashy comeback, fully upgraded in the third quarter of 2012."

Quoted from here:
http://www.cushwake.com/cwglobal/jsp/newsDetail.jsp?Country=ca8700230&Language=EN&repId=c43400020p

It's going to be a gorgeous building, and I hate to say it, but it takes a company with vision (and cash) like google to see the value in it and to make the investment. This rehab will energize this stretch of Richmond in ways that none of TO's run-of-the-mill new towers ever could.

(I realize the improvements are negotiated/paid for by the owners, but without the lease agreement with google it would not happen, at least not like this)

Last edited:
I used to work in this building before they evicted all the tenants and renovated. It wasn't particularly beautiful on the inside, but it did have a lot of character. The location is excellent too. From what I was told anecdotally at the time (and I can't confirm as being true), they couldn't tear down the building because the windows had heritage status. At least some of the original windows could be opened casement style, which was clever, but also extremely dangerous as strong gusts of wind could rip open windows off the building. We were advised to always keep the windows closed. I wonder if they ended up having to keep those windows in the end. I definitely don't recall any green terraces before so that's a nice change. The renovation under the Richmond-Adelaide Centre really spruced up that section of the Path too. Google should enjoy being there.

From what I was told anecdotally at the time (and I can't confirm as being true), they couldn't tear down the building because the windows had heritage status. At least some of the original windows could be opened casement style, which was clever, but also extremely dangerous as strong gusts of wind could rip open windows off the building.

Correction: they couldn't tear down the building because the building had heritage status. They couldn't generically replace the windows because the windows--openable casements and all--were part of that heritage status. In order to replace them, you had to jump thoughtful/sympathetic-replacement heritage hurdles, because flat thermopanes like on its neighbours to the west wouldn't do...

Back