Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
43 Gerrard West
43 Gerrard West, Toronto
Developer:

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 43 Gerrard St. W (rentals, 43s, RAW Design)

Quote Originally Posted by interchange42 View Post
    Manulife Centre?

and we all know what a dump of a rental Manulife is at the prime corner of Bay/Bloor ....

end sarcasm

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cdr108 View Post
    and we all know what a dump of a rental Manulife is at the prime corner of Bay/Bloor ....

end sarcasm
    No love loss there if they demolished it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
    Come-on, what is that rant all about..what makes you think that i don't appreciate history/culture just as you, or anyone on this board.
    Well, there's this:

Quote Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
    No love loss there if they demolished it.

Folks, it's gonna be a student rental joint.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
    Rentals are so important to developing mixed-income communities. I was/am getting worried that the condo boom in Toronto is going to create a rift between buyers and renters, such that buyers have mostly beautiful new buildings to move into, and renters are increasingly moving into converted houses or the 1950/60s style apartment buildings all over the city. Also, if having affordable renting means less frills on the building, as long as it's still a respectable structure I'm all for that.
    The current real estate boom is an investor driven one. Meaning a good portion, if not the majority, of new residential condo's being built in the city are being rented out instead of being occupied by the unit owner(s).

Last edited by interchange42; Today at 16:13. Reason: Boom!
    LOL!
    And Bravo on taking care of that 'issue'.

Right, that's a good point. But I was more thinking of rental properties that are targeted to renting demographics, i.e., people who typically can't afford $1500/m in rent and up, as otherwise they'd, with exceptions, be in a buyer's market.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectEnd View Post
    Well, there's this:
    Ahh come-on..its tall and butt ugly.... whats there to like about it.
    Dont hear to many people concerned about them ripping apart the Sutton Place... which is a lot more interesting and older structure than that heap.

Sorry to go off topic,,,but i just dont see anything special of this 35 year old 163 meter slab.
    Last edited by Automation Gallery; 2011-Dec-02 at 23:19.

Is the distinction bewteen condos and rental buildings artificial? A huge number of condos are rented out - so what is the difference really? I suppose condo buildings tend to be newer and thus more expensive to rent, but that is a seperate issue.

I spose one difference is that condos can be bought, while typically apartments proper can only be rented.

I'd also say that apartments are more likely to be available for less per month, but that's more of a hunch.

Another difference is that many renters can afford their rent, whereas condo owners generally had the downpayment covered by their parents' financial backing or they live there because they went into massive debt (or a big mortgage) in order to live there...

What i am trying to say is there are many places available for rent in the city aside from rental buildings. You dont need to buy a condo, you can rent a condo.

... or a house. Or a floor in a house, with someone else renting another floor, and someone else renting the basement ...

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
    I spose one difference is that condos can be bought, while typically apartments proper can only be rented.

I'd also say that apartments are more likely to be available for less per month, but that's more of a hunch.
    You're right about purpose-built apartments being cheaper than condominium rental units. As of 2010, avg rent for former is $1,041 whereas for latter it's $1,541.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    You're right about purpose-built apartments being cheaper than condominium rental units. As of 2010, avg rent for former is $1,041 whereas for latter it's $1,541.
    Zzactly.

15. Default

Data on average rents is deceiving. Newer or renovated rental buildings (the one next to Opera Place, or Jazz, for instance) are closer to condo rents.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast