News   Mar 28, 2024
 47     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 539     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 349     0 

NDP's Goblet of Fire for new leader

Chow has very clearly stated she's not running.

I don't see how it could be anyone other than Thomas Mulcair.

I really hope not. Mulcair is pretty much the anti-Layton -- capable, but arrogant and often abrasive, with little in the way of "people skills". Having Mulcair as leader would almost certainly result in massive electoral losses in the next general election. Brian Topp is similar, being more of a technocrat than an inspirational leader. I would much rather see somebody like Paul Dewar (although he could use a few more years seasoning first) or Gary Doer (provided he works on his French-language skills), both of whom have the ability to connect with the voters, not to the extent that Layton did, but perhaps well enough to retain most of the NDP seats in the next election. I do not think that they would actually increase their seat totals, unless the Conservatives are caught in some nasty new scandal(s), and the voters decide to care about such things (which they have not done so far when the Conservatives are involved).

Last edited:
I really hope not. Mulcair is pretty much the anti-Layton -- capable, but arrogant and often abrasive, with little in the way of "people skills".
I just don't see where else it would go. I don't disagree about Mulcair ... but I don't see anyone else who has the French-language skills that are essential. I can't imagine that if any politician didn't grow up with French, that their French is going to be good enough to do the things like sit and chat on "Tout le monde en parle" that is necessary, and those that learned French late in life like Harper just can't do.

Well, that would rule out both Dewar and Doer. Dewar is currently in an intensive French-Immersion course, but he says that his goal is to be able to speak French at the level of Harper. Doer is even worse. Which is a shame, as both would otherwise be much better choices for leader of the NDP.

One thought that just occurred to me: what about one of the rookie Quebec MPs? They are all basically unknown to English Canada, but there are a number of very talented people in that group (along with too many duds). Of course, their backgrounds would need to be checked more carefully than was apparently done with Nycole Turmel, but if their background is clear, he or she would have four years to make him- or herself known to English Canadians.

One example would be Helene Laverdiere, who is highly respected in the area of foreign relations. She is already Vice-Chair of the House of Commons Committee for Foreign Affairs and International Development, the NDP Shadow Cabinet member for International Cooperation, and NDP Deputy Critic for Foreign Affairs. However, she might be better suited to a Cabinet position than to overall party leadership.

I simply do not know enough about the new Quebec MPs to be able to say if any one of them would be a good choice for Leader of the Loyal Opposition, but there does seem to be enough talent there for the possibility to be real.

Last edited:
I think Peggy Nash is a very serious contender. She has a trade union background as well as social movements, and has been a very sharp Finance Critic. Her French is also excellent.

Here is Walkom's account:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...itches-a-pragmatic-radicalism-to-her-ndp?bn=1

Slightly unsettling that a French and Literature major, with no background in any financial management, can be the finance critic of the Federal Government - but slightly appropriate considering how lacking in financial consideration most of their platforms are.

Slightly unsettling that a French and Literature major, with no background in any financial management, can be the finance critic of the Federal Government - but slightly appropriate considering how lacking in financial consideration most of their platforms are.

So how's the economist in Ottawa doing with his financial know-how? Spending money we don't have on things we don't need, like prisons and jets (while he quietly goes and screws our vets).

Most finance ministers have been lawyers. How does that one prepare for financial management any more than her?

Last edited:
So how's the economist in Ottawa doing with his financial know-how? Spending money we don't have on things we don't need, like prisons and jets (while he quietly goes and screws our vets).

Most finance ministers have been lawyers. How does that one prepare for financial management any more than her?

I believe those lines where in a few bumper stickers? That's just classic political rhetoric. Whether Flaherty is successful as finance minister or not is the not topic, but how grossly underqualified Peggy Nash is for her position is.

One can say that Flaherty is doing a fine job considering how Canada's faired through this world financial crisis, you could even argue that his success is based on the footings that Paul Martin built - another candidate with substantial experience in managing finances.

The point is, she's not qualified to critique financial management of this country. That being said, there are very few qualified candidates in the NDP caucus...

Maybe they should appoint the waitress in quebec Public Safety Critic

If Peggy Nash is not qualified enough to serve as the finance critic, then I have no clue what the Conservatives are doing running the country. Whenever she makes an appearance on TV, her commentary is always astute and thoughtful. Overall, she shows far better judgement when it comes to financial issues than any of the current ruling party representatives. Just because someone has a background in finance, business, or commerce doesn't mean that they will make decisions that will actually benefit the country - take a look at all the bankers and finance executives who "led" the US into and through the 2008 crisis.

The majority of activities of the Department of Finance do not involve anything that requires an education in finance to understand or critique. Budgeting revenues and expenses is not high finance. I think it would be necessary to have a finance or economics background to critique Bank of Canada monetary policy, but the Minister of Finance is only technically able to be involved in that area, and the critic doesn't need to address it.

Back