News   Mar 28, 2024
 325     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 684     0 

airbnb.com vs. condo rules

WeirdFishes

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would like to post my apartment for short term rentals on www.airbnb.com. My condo
rules prohibit any kind of rentals under 12 months. Are there any loopholes that
apply? Can I challenge the rule? Does anyone have experience with this?

CONDO LEGAL:
[A lease or tenancy of any residential or retail unit shall be for a term of not less than twelve (12) months. No unit shall be occupied under a lease, sub-lease, contract, or license agreement for transient or hotel purposes. No roomers or boarders are permitted. A lease or tenancy of any residential or retail unit shall be for a term of not less than twelve (12) months. No unit shall be occupied under a lease, sub-lease, contract, or license agreement for transient or hotel purposes. No roomers or boarders are permitted. ]

Thanks so much!!!

You dont tell them that is all, its hard to proof it anyways. One Realtor at our office get around it by saying the renter was family visiting taking cares of things in condo i.e cleaning etc..

I can find someone to do 1 year lease

Contact me to be with the best!

Don't listen to this guy ^^^. In another thread he describes how he rented to illegals who proceeded to grow vegetables on the living room floor, resulting in significant damage.

Don't listen to this guy ^^^. In another thread he describes how he rented to illegals who proceeded to grow vegetables on the living room floor, resulting in significant damage.

knowledge, skills and ethics are his/her strong points it seems.

Hello, I am responding for WeirdFishes, who posed this question on my behalf, because I didn't have enough postings myself to start a thread yet.

Thanks for all replies so far.

The first response is not an option I'm afraid. I actually had my place posted on airbnb and rented it to several people while I was traveling (with a friend managing it for me here). Recently, I was served a letter from the management asking me to remove the listing, because of said condo rules. I am hoping to find a loop hole or way of challenging the rules, but am not interested in alienating the board or management.

Many thanks.

Like i said if they dont now no problems, if they find out here are a few loopholes, the person is watching your (pets, art work, plants etc etc) or they are visiting you (family, lover, friend etc for a few months) etc as long as you has a mailing adress for something there i.e (drivers license which so easy to change) then they can do nothing, try to take you to courts nbut no proof. You just needs to find good renter who will take your side and trust.

Also if looking to rent contact a Realtor they are the professionals and have great knowledge!

Come be with the best!

Also if looking to rent contact a Realtor they are the professionals and have great knowledge!

LOL, any suggestions? Someone who can spell simple words, perhaps?

Great advise there, lets break some more laws while were at it, I have a better idea why not use cityplaceguy to find you a renter "who will take your side and trust" like some illegals, maybe they can grow some vegetables in the living room and leave you with the repair bills. Well might as well try some insurance fraud while your at it.

Seriously, do not take any advice from this moron. Your best bet is to talk to your developer if there is anything that can be done, sometimes for a fee they allow it. Just be sure to have this in writing.

Thanks guys. Like I said before breaking any rules is not an option. I have no interest in alienating my management as I love living here. @cityplaceguy, I am not looking to lease or rent my place on an ongoing basis either way. This is merely to help me finance my travels. When I am in the city, I am using the place myself. When I am not, there would be too many people going in and out (with luggage, hence obvious) to fake them being friends or relatives. Plus, these aren't people I know personally, they are renting my place like they would rent a hotel. So asking them to pretend to be friends is not an option either if I was interested in doing that. Furthermore, my building has great security, so people can't just be using the key/fob without my name showing up on the security system. This is how the building found out in the first place.

@PatP - I have been thinking of doing that, but am not very hopeful that they'll change the rules for me. Do you have any experience with that or know of cases?

I'm sorry but I don't have an answer for you. But what the hell does this have to do with the condo board? It's your home, you should be able to rent it as you see fit. Didn't courts rule on this several years ago that board restrictions like this are not allowed? If I were you, I'd spend $100 or so and talk to a real estate lawyer. Those rules might be in conflict with the law.

That was exactly my first reaction when I was told off! It is my place, so I should be able to do with it what I want. I do appreciate the security concerns and imagine that's where the rule stems from. If everyone was doing this, you'd have a building with people constantly going in and out of like in a hotel. There is no way security personnel could stay on top of that. So in that regard, the rule is sensible. Sadly, it affects my personal financing and lifestyle.

Thanks for the reco. I probably won't get around speaking to a lawyer about this. It would be amazing if the court rule you recall is in fact in place.

I know of two condo boards that require a signed one-year lease when renting; we had an exception made in the case of renting to family.

Condo boards could ask for DNA samples. It doesn't make it legal. I'm not saying this is not allowed, I just wouldn't take their word for it. I understand it's a possible logistical nightmare for them, but that's not your problem. That's why you pay fees. In your situation I wouldn't hestitate to pay for legal advice. A small price to pay to get the correct information, especially if it's in your favour.

Back