News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Roads: How do you get the timing on a traffic light changed?

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Who do I phone or email?

The light at Fort York Blvd and Spadina needs to be changed so people have more time to exit Fort York Blvd (going Eastbound) onto Spadina. The light is ridiculously short right now. About 10 seconds or 3 cars. Cars are constantly exiting on red lights as they get so frustrated.

Love to know who I should be asking for a long light.

You could contact Transportation Services or your local Councillor. Alternatively, you could contact 311 and ask them.

Dont bother complaining. Its short because that is all the time they can currently give to eastbound traffic. It was recently changed to that timing because people (pedestrians) complained there wasn't enough time to cross Spadina. A traffic study was done and most people crossing the intersection are doing so on foot, so foot traffic was given the priority.

Its something we (the residents association) are trying to work on, but since the area is relatively new, and more people are moving in every day, its not something thats easy to plan. There was no traffic data to go by a few years ago, so its an intersection that the City will keep monitoring and adjusting as time goes by.

Dont bother complaining. Its short because that is all the time they can currently give to eastbound traffic.

I'm confused. Why can't they just allot more time to the Eastbound traffic, it doesn't have to take time away from any other direction? The pedestrians cross on Westbound traffic anyway.

It seems all of Spadina from Front down is geared towards cars and getting them onto the Gardiner. In fact it could be argued that Spadina From King Street down is just one huge onramp to the Gardiner Expressway. And it's still jammed absolutely solid for 2-3 hours each afternoon. I don't see how giving Eastbound traffic 10 more seconds is going to impact anything.

CityPlace's only exit point, Fort York Blvd out to Spadina needs to be longer than 10 second intervals. It's just nuts the way it is now.

CityPlace's only exit point, Fort York Blvd out to Spadina needs to be longer than 10 second intervals. It's just nuts the way it is now.

I think you're stuck with the short light until this changes.
When are they opening access to Dan Leckie Way from Fort York?

What is with Dundas Square having a scramble at 2am!? Would like to go into Urban Planning eventually but keep rethinking the option because of bureaucracy like this being so irritating...why is policy so slow to change?

Speaking of poor traffic light timing. Has anyone else noticed it is impossible to get two consecutive greens on University Northbound between Richmond and Queens Park? Impossible!

Speaking of poor traffic light timing. Has anyone else noticed it is impossible to get two consecutive greens on University Northbound between Richmond and Queens Park? Impossible!

It's possible. You need to drive faster :)

Well you have a faster car than me because one time I floored it off the line as soon as the light turned green and still couldn't make the next light before it turned red. I'm absolutely convinced it was done by Miller to discourage driving. I'm hoping Ford will fix it.

Well you have a faster car than me because one time I floored it off the line as soon as the light turned green and still couldn't make the next light before it turned red. I'm absolutely convinced it was done by Miller to discourage driving. I'm hoping Ford will fix it.

You're not alone there:

http://www.canadian-taxpayer.com/traffic-light-synchronization.html

(I particularly like how they explain they are NOT advocating burning down the Parliament buildings.)

Gotta love the right-wing think-tanks that think that everything is easily explained as a conspiracy by the looney left.

The fact of the matter is that many signals are coordinated downtown. The "problem" is that they are coordinated on east-west streets, rather than north-south. Why, you ask? Because most people heading north do so via the 427, or the DVP.

As for the light at Fort York and Spadina, my understanding is that it gets its timing adjusted every 6 or so months as City Traffic Services monitors it. As more people move in on the west side of Spadina, and additional segments of Fort York and Dan Leckie open, the timing for eastbound will likely become longer and longer until such a point that the CTS pairs the eastbound and westbound phases.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm confused. Why can't they just allot more time to the Eastbound traffic, it doesn't have to take time away from any other direction? The pedestrians cross on Westbound traffic anyway.

How can you not take away time from other directions? There are 60 minutes in an hour and all the minutes are occupied by one direction or another.

Back