News   Apr 19, 2024
 848     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

how to gain privacy for a corner unit condo

Exodus

Member Bio
Reaction score
i currently live in a corner unit condominium with a lot of windows and great views. the issue is that my neighbour's balcony is positioned in a way that they can see into my entire unit! I currently have roller shades installed, but I feel like i'm living in a fishbowl sometimes when I have the blinds all open. it's the most awkward feeling to have people be able to peer into your home and watch what you do.

my goal is to be able to have my windows open such that I can enjoy the view, but still maintain privacy. i researched online and haven't been successful in finding anything. I've read about one-way mirror films where you can apply them on the windows but the caveat is at nighttime, where the one-way visibility is reversed. any suggestions?!

Suggestion, head to Home Depot, buy a large planter container, soil (ask what kind you need) and a slim 5' evergreen to plant in the container then put it against the balcony by the divider so that it blocks anyone looking around. Or buy two, and place them side by each. Ask and make sure your buying a tree that's hardy enough to survive the winter on a cold, windy balcony. Home Depot has great sales on right now in their Garden Centres too. You can also buy some of those LED light strings and wrap it around the tree for a nice effect at night and/or at Christmas.

Vertical blinds would probably work, but are a bit of a faux pas.

How about getting your windows tinted? Or would that violate your agreement with the condo?

Usually windows are a common element, so you need approval from the condo board to make any changes like that.

Tint wouldn't work at night when you have your lights on, either.

3M privacy screen! just buy a few hundred sheets and tape them together.

I would recommend Vienna Blinds. They were designed for such situations. Contact me if you need any suggestions about how to get them at a reasonable rate.

Back