News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Store Fronts!

EVCco

Member Bio
Reaction score
In extension to collations' excelent variety store thread, as well as my own culturally-based signage thread of about a year ago, I submit to you a thread in which to post any and all of your favourite Toronto store fronts - beginning with a few of my favourite old-fashioned facades (a couple of which, I'm afraid, are not long for this world):

retrodynevor.jpg

retrobrooklyn.jpg

retroseahi.jpg

retrocrossroads.jpg

retrodinos.jpg

retrosany4851.jpg

retrostclairfish.jpg

retrolenduckworths.jpg

retrosany5011.jpg

retrosany4941.jpg

retrosany4713.jpg

retrosany5108.jpg

retrosany5109.jpg

retroshoppers.jpg

Some quirky combinations...............

Not sure I'd want any of their "gifts":
combodiaperoutlet.jpg

Stir-fried souvlaki?:
combochinesegreek.jpg

Stir-fried matzah balls?:
combocolonelwongs.jpg

Stir-fried... I don't want to know what!:
combokimmoon.jpg

For those who really like their Blizzards:
combodairymoney.jpg

And this one is just plain confusing:
combostjohn.jpg

Wow, great pics and a fine idea.

My contribution is a 'remnant' of a old sign. It was uncovered during a renovation. Location is Avenue Road, east side, north of Deloraine.

DSCF1730.jpg

Another great thread! Here are some that I've taken in the past couple of years.

345_spadina.jpg

Rotman's Hat Shop (2009) - I took this shortly before he closed the shop in 2009. You can read about it here.

85_king_east.jpg

Not a storefront, but The Marine & Sportsman's Building (2009) - located at 85 King Street East is a great remnant of the past.

max_and_sons.jpg

Max & Son - Kensington Market (2009)

coral_sea_fish.jpg

Coral Sea Fish Market - Kensington Market (2009)

Last edited:
I thought this might be a popular thread!

Mustapha - do you know what that place was? Looks like "North Ave" ...something. Judging by the Coke signs could have been a corner store, or a diner??

345_spadina.jpg

Rotman's Hat Shop (2009) - I took this shortly before he closed the shop in 2009. You can read about it here.

I wondered what happened to that place! I used to work in the area and walked by Rotman's every day. It always seemed empty, except for the old guy working there, and the hats in the display window looked like they had 3 inches of dust on them. I always wanted to go in there, but I've never been much of a fedora guy. It was such a strange old relic in the middle of Chinatown. Glad it's been captured for posterity!

A couple of cleaners (the first of which was immortalized in a Kids In The Hall sketch):

sany4865.jpg

sany4980.jpg

Some sculptural signage:

gimicksany5175.jpg

gimickfishy.jpg

Some sinister signage:

namesany5101.jpg

pentagramt.jpg

And a few more miscellaneous fronts:

retrosany3992.jpg

namesany2954.jpg

I thought this might be a popular thread!

Mustapha - do you know what that place was? Looks like "North Ave" ...something. Judging by the Coke signs could have been a corner store, or a diner??

I wish the lettering was more distinct. I'm guessing at least "North Avenue Road... the rest is anybodies guess. :)

EVCco,

The 'Heartbreak Hotel' ... at Queen and Palmerston; does anyone know the history of the hotel itself? Such an interesting name.

west_end_kid,

Great picture of Rotmans. I miss walking past it.

This wonderful thread has revealed that the natural appearance of many storefronts in Toronto are unintentional "works of art!'

Many of these images should be framed and displayed in a gallery.

Let's hope these and many others are going to be preserved in an archive.

EVCco,

The 'Heartbreak Hotel' ... at Queen and Palmerston; does anyone know the history of the hotel itself? Such an interesting name.

Wish I knew. I've always wondered about it myself. Did a quick internet search and only found out that there apparently used to be a lesbian club in the basement...

It certainly looks like it was around for a while though. Maybe not old enough to pre-date the Elvis song - but wouldn't it be great if it did!

Another KITH skit landmark! Sadly no longer with us.

Nevermind the 7-11, we have 8-11![/url] by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

This one at Bloor and Sterling was recently exhumed when the other signs covering it were taken down.

Haha, nice! Reminds me of: http://www.notfoolinganybody.com/cloney

This wonderful thread has revealed that the natural appearance of many storefronts in Toronto are unintentional "works of art!'

Many of these images should be framed and displayed in a gallery.

Let's hope these and many others are going to be preserved in an archive.

Completely agree!

Last edited:

Back