Toronto Westhaven On Islington Condos | 11.9m | 3s | Graywood | P + S / IBI

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just saw the application sign go up today. Will be housed in "7 mid-rise buildings.' Application was submitted by Barry J. Morrison & Associates Ltd., Urban Planning and Development Consultants. There is also a sign with "Mantella Corporation est. 1946" on the premises.

You beat me to it as I have the photo that are not ready for posting at this time. The site is coming down with the inside being strip now.

Mantella Corporation site is not built and located at http://www.mantella.ca/
1 Greensboro Drive
Toronto, Ontario M9W 1C8
telephone: 416 247 5432 | fax: 416 247 3738
5903334937_b4d2914459_b.jpg

5903324573_a69b1c15a6_b.jpg

5903322765_7e5daafae5_b.jpg

5903321675_95b211e2c7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Knew the name Mantella sounded familiar... you can see their HQ from the 401 (at 409/Kipling).

Anyone know what this site was before it was a Premier Fitness? Looks like it might be a mid-century warehouse/office.

It was the Sunbeam appliance plant. (Their logo used to stand above the entrance.)

That used to be my gym a few years back, and the pics don't show just what a massive building this is. I'm glad to see it coming down, but there's strangely been no sign of a render yet. There better be a nice streetwall with retail or I'll be mightily pissed.

This site has been proposed for residential/office uses, back in 2009. Right now, they are preparing for demolition as Priestly Demolition sign was posted and fencing has been placed, so demolition should start soon. There's documentation from City of Toronto at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-20140.pdf pertaining to this site. This will look like a small Montreal-city scape since it consists small-scaled buildings, which will be a nice addition to neighborhood.

Apparently that TD bank is also part of this development. I guess they're just waiting for the lease to run out.

Apparently that TD bank is also part of this development. I guess they're just waiting for the lease to run out.

TD is supposed to stay as is.

Does anyone have any renderings of what large section would look like? Since I know on Islington Avenue, there are many one storey post-war homes, and I do not know how these development will affect them unless those one storeys have plans in raising to two storeys? Noticed that some are happening already. No Frills is right there, good investment for those who wants to live in new apartments. Does someone know about history of Mantella's developments?

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...cales-back-1-400-unit-pitch-to-250-townhouses

Developer scales back 1,400-unit pitch to 250 townhouses

Etobicoke York Community Council approves latest proposal

TAMARA SHEPHARD|Nov 02, 2011 - 4:22 PM

The latest in a series of revisions that now proposes to build 250 townhouses in the Islington Avenue-Norseman Street area is evidence the planning "process does work," says an Etobicoke councillor.

"The developer was asking for 1,400 condo units in up to 14-storey buildings. The community said 'this is not acceptable.' I said 'this is not acceptable,'" said Etobicoke-Lakeshore Councillor Peter Milczyn.

Developer Mantella Corporation proposes to build 250 townhouses and stacked townhouses, as well as a 5,240-square-metre industrial building it will retain, on the southwest corner of Islington and Norseman.

Etobicoke York Community Council endorsed city planning staff's recommendation to approve the proposal at its meeting Wednesday, with some amendments moved by Milczyn and adopted by council.

"This proposal has been through a series of revisions," Mantella lawyer Barry Horosko told councillors. "It was originally for 1,400 units, but we found the market was not there for a series of apartment buildings. The councillor and the neighbours did not welcome that kind of built form in the neighbourhood."

LOL'z

Etobicoke North Councillor Doug Ford said he wished for such development proposals in his ward.

"I'd encourage all developers to come up to Rexdale. We're open for business."

Mantella also owns a strip plaza just south of the townhouse site, currently occupied by a No Frills, Artisano Bakery and Acacia Furniture.

What a waste of land for these townhouses and someone did not do their homework.

What about the retail facing the street?? The original proposal was actually progressive and urban. Etobicoke and its NIMBY mentality are hopeless.

*bangs head on desk*

What about the retail facing the street?? The original proposal was actually progressive and urban. Etobicoke and its NIMBY mentality are hopeless.

*bangs head on desk*

The other storefronts, north and south of Norseman, should be rebuilt closer to the street, moving the parking behind the stores out of sight.

Back