androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5R 3G7

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 225589 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 23, 2011

Project: Houses and Apartments New Building

Description: Proposal to demolish existing mixed use building and construct a new 6 storey apartment building. New building will contain 20 dwelling units with storage in the basement. This property includes 1000 and 1002 Bathurst Street, same owner.

Capturebath.JPG

Looks like things are about to get moving on this one. A committee of adjustment application will be submitted soon for variances including 'height, setbacks, and angular plane penetration' (to quote Adam Vaughan's office).

The applicant has described the project as follows:

'The project looks to spur further development along a stale stretch of
Bathurst St. with a building that fits with the neighborhood
architecturally. This has been an area that has been designated by the
City for intensification guided by the mid rise principles. The project
will also be designed as energy efficient as economically possible.
Right now we are looking to design the building at 25% more energy
efficient than the O.B.C. requires. Lastly, the project aims to bring
high quality Loft Like Units 'for rent' in the area geared to upper year
grad students and young professionals'

Seems pretty tall for the area and also for the width of the lot. Any thoughts?

Six stories seems reasonable if the area is intended for intensification. This could really catalyze more development here, and this section of Bathurst could certainly use it -- it is somewhat absurd that a major thoroughfare like this is lined with decrepit rental houses. Some midrise apartments/condos with street-level retail would vastly improve the area.

it is somewhat absurd that a major thoroughfare like this is lined with decrepit rental houses. Some midrise apartments/condos with street-level retail would vastly improve the area.

This stretch of Bathurst is actually mostly underperforming retail and the residential part of it is not primarily rentals (or decrepit). This proposed development does not include retail.

6s is not tall here (or anywhere for that matter). No retail here isn't really a huge deal as they are are already plenty of houses on this stretch. Even a parking lot would be better than what currently occupied this space, bring it on.

This stretch of Bathurst is actually mostly underperforming retail and the residential part of it is not primarily rentals (or decrepit). This proposed development does not include retail.

It's unfortunate that there's no retail for this project, but I think trading out a few sad corner stores and empty shops for a new apartment building is reasonable.

6s is indeed tall for this area - only the seniors' home down the street comes close to that. The other factor is that it abuts a low-rise residential area and there are sightlines and accessibility (laneways) to consider, not to mention traffic (parking at rear).

6s is indeed tall for this area - only the seniors' home down the street comes close to that.

But if the area is designated for intensification, about the only way one can get that is with taller buildings that abut the low-rise residential interior.

Alright, so we're all hoping for two storeys, retail at grade and no parking. Fingers crossed.

I don't think anyone is really implying that that would be more appropriate - retail isn't part of the plan to begin, 2 storeys wouldn't qualify as intensification and from what I've heard it would have 4 indoor parking spaces for 18 or 19 units.

much needed for all the avenues designated for intensification - triples the number of units/occupants at the current lands.

it's 2 blocks away from Dupont where there's already intensification.
ideally, retail should be on the ground level, especially since this is a rental building vs a condo that has different strata structure.

does anyone have proposed plans / idea of the design?
i kind of cringed when i read 'a building that fits with the neighborhood architecturally.'
hopefully that doesn't mean faux victorian schlock or the recent faux french chateau on Spadina south of Dupont.

Thanks lemur:

It's not particularly offensive - slightly overscaled for its' context, but I can see it fitting in with a slow move towards 4-6s buildlings along that stretch.

AoD

It looks very Georgian, down to the lack of retail.

Anyways, the front proportions are decent.

Back