Toronto The College Condominium | 52.73m | 15s | Tribute | Core Architects

Hopefully this crappy part of College (and nearby intersection) gradually get revitalized. I remember a couple years ago read that site beside the Budget car rental was sold. But nothing came of it afterwards.

Let's hope the surface lot goes with it. A modernist 6 - 8 storey midrise would be awesome here. I don't think anything taller should be built.

Perhaps this is just part of an assembly, however, it hasn't been handled with much stealth if we all know who bought it.

Perhaps this is just part of an assembly, however, it hasn't been handled with much stealth if we all know who bought it.

google maps shows the adjacent property was up for sale several years ago.
i wonder if Tribute purchased that one too?

297 parcel looks quite wide and deep.
they may not need next door but i guess it wouldn't hurt

google maps shows the adjacent property was up for sale several years ago.
i wonder if Tribute purchased that one too?

295 College and 297 were one property, up to about five years ago when they were severed. Previously, 295 had been an office of the Ukrainian Credit Union, and 297 had been a cultural centre, I think. Both had been purchased by a Buddhist Church, who have since moved on. 295 was sold last year, for almot $4 million, and was to be converted to a medical centre.

297 has just been sold separately to Tribute. It's pretty doubtful that they would buy 295 as well, although I suppose that's still possible. 297 was listed quite recently in the open market, including at least one ad in the Globe and Mail. I agree with Towered that a building of perhaps up to 8 storeys would fit nicely here.

Edit: This part of College is no longer so "crappy", in my opinion. Up to perhaps ten years ago it may have been so, but it's now well into transition, with several newer mid-rise buildings and good retailing, not to mention the College and Grace intersection which was declared one of the hottest nabes in North America, according to some trendoid magazine (forget who that was). Restaurants, retailing, and condo apartments ... the basic gentrifying formula. I'm sure Tribute will find success here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This part of College is no longer so "crappy", in my opinion. Up to perhaps ten years ago it may have been so, but it's now well into transition, with several newer mid-rise buildings and good retailing, not to mention the College and Grace intersection which was declared one of the hottest nabes in North America, according to some trendoid magazine (forget who that was). Restaurants, retailing, and condo apartments ... the basic gentrifying formula. I'm sure Tribute will find success here.

I'm not sure that Grace is a part of this neighbourhood. The stretch of College defined by Spadina and Bathurst is defined mostly by Kensington Market and, while indeed changing, it is far removed from the Little Italy corridor. College and Bathurst is home to Sneaky Dees, a longtime rocker joint that attracts a sometimes seedy crowd, and is more of a relic than symbol of the future. For that, turn down Lippincott street to the new Lippincott Living building, which was very successful a year ago. Other bars and restaurants on College along this stretch cater to the university crowd and the early 20-somethings, who don't have all that much cash.

The only reason development seems to have skipped this area is Kensington. It is changing, with nicer restaurants opening. But, I hope it doesn't entirely.

When I said this strip of College as crappy, I was referring to the stretch west of Spadina and east of Bathurst. Grace/College is further west and basically the heart of Little Italy. The north side of College, east of Bathurst has seen a bit of revitalization in recent years, with hipster joints opening up. But the strip close to Spadina is still rather lame. Apart from being Toronto's unofficial computer district, Spadina/College is a pretty bad intersection. Some decent low-rise midrise architecture to fill in the urban gaps will improve the streetscape a lot.

College Street is not exactly crappy. Crappy looking, yes, especially between Bathurst and Spadina.
There is a lot of old 2-3 storey buildings ripe for redevelopment.
Spadina south of College could be an interesting strip for development as it straddles the edges of Chinatown, Little Italy, Kensington Market and U of T campus.

I always liked Sneaky Dees, it's a dive but it attracts all kinds of people (not exactly seedy) from college kids to hipsters to families (during the day) to the occasional yuppies.
The place hasn't changed since I was going to U of T a long time ago.

Ideal Lofts, a nicely scaled and designed building west of Bathurst, is the only newer condo development in the area and I would like to see more.
Being around the Annex area is nice as there isn't a huge mass of condo developments like King West, Entertainment District and the Lakeshore.

College Street is not exactly crappy. Crappy looking, yes, especially between Bathurst and Spadina.
There is a lot of old 2-3 storey buildings ripe for redevelopment.
Spadina south of College could be an interesting strip for development as it straddles the edges of Chinatown, Little Italy, Kensington Market and U of T campus.

These two stretches are loaded with buildings full of charactor, though some could use some TLC. Why is it so many interesting areas (and very well traveled by foot) be "ripe for redevelopment"? Keep redeveloping Liberty Village, keep that crap and barren sidewalks over there.

I always liked Sneaky Dees, it's a dive but it attracts all kinds of people (not exactly seedy) from college kids to hipsters to families (during the day) to the occasional yuppies.

Yeah my post was really rushed and that was a rather stupid thing to say. I suppose I was thinking that some concerts there attract a goth or metal crowd that can be imposing to many people, plus the fact that it is always packed and lots of drunk people hang out outside of it. "Seedy" definitely is not an apt description. I like Dees too, and still hang out there. I would probably refer to myself as seedy, too!

The only thing that is actually close to seedy is the homeless shelter at Spadina and College, which I was thinking about but didn't even mention in my post due to haste. So I agree that this is the real corner that needs help (but I would love to see the parking lot on the SW corner of Bathurst and College developed). Between Augusta and Spadina on the south side there are a few lots and developments I would get rid of, especially the drive-in suburban corner strip mall @Augusta, the Budget Rent-a-car, and the three storey commercial building with the vacant lot (seen here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=s...-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl)

There is a great theatre on the north side that I think has a computer store in it - would love to see something better there. Maybe a few other infill projects, but most of the other buildings are beautiful and just need some paint or restoration.

But I echo the comments about the character of this area. One of my favorites in Toronto.

There is a great theatre on the north side that I think has a computer store in it - would love to see something better there. Maybe a few other infill projects, but most of the other buildings are beautiful and just need some paint or restoration.

There were two there on that block, one I remember was the Lumiere Cinema in the late 70's/early 80's, not sure of the other one's name.

via Councillor Vaughan:

219 Bathurst St & 297 College St Community Planning Meeting

You are invited to a community meeting about proposed developments in the Kensington and Alexandra
Park neighbourhoods.

Tuesday July 5, 2011
6:00 – 8:00pm
Scadding Court Community Centre
707 Dundas St.W (at Bathurst)
Room 1 and 2

Presentations will be provided on: 219 Bathurst Street (at Carr) and 297 College Street (west of Spadina;
currently Zen Buddhist Temple site).

Did anyone else attend? I could've but forgot all about it.:(

Here's what http://twitter.com/#!/symmetrydevelop just tweeted, sounds intriguing.

symmetrydevelop SymmetryDevelopments
Just saw Core's presentation for 15s Tribute development at the Zen Temple site on College. 8s podium with green wall, colored glass.

re: 219 Bathurst:

symmetrydevelop SymmetryDevelopments
@urban__dreamer 8s, 36 units, no parking. Horrendous architecture. 8' ceilings.

SymmetryDevelopments
@urban__dreamer Some unknown developer and clueless architect. Vaughan looked disgusted by the design.

Sounds like a total pos, just like those Carr St stucco nightmare townhouses built several years ago.:(

Last edited:

Back