News   Mar 28, 2024
 261     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 635     0 

Restaurants! Suggestions, reviews and questions about dining in Toronto

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Okay, I know we all love food in Toronto, and there are a ton of options. I figured why not start a thread.

I actually have a question to start it off too.

Finding good, tasty Canadian Chinese food, is strangely not easy in Toronto. At one time food courts were a good way to get a fix, usually by going to Manchu Wok. However, their quality is just not what it used to be in the 90s.
So does anyone know where one can get some good chicken balls and fried rice in Toronto? Downtown would be great.

I don't normally eat Fake Chinese Food (oops, Canadian Chinese food), but China Garden on Bloor, west of Avenue Road isn't too bad.

Okay, I know we all love food in Toronto, and there are a ton of options. I figured why not start a thread.

I actually have a question to start it off too.

Finding good, tasty Canadian Chinese food, is strangely not easy in Toronto. At one time food courts were a good way to get a fix, usually by going to Manchu Wok. However, their quality is just not what it used to be in the 90s.
So does anyone know where one can get some good chicken balls and fried rice in Toronto? Downtown would be great.

I hear you. I miss the Chinese places in Columbus, OH, with their fabulous egg rolls--egg rolls in the US are sort of a cross between a spring roll and an egg roll here. Mr Pong's used to make their Giant Egg Rolls, which is the closest I've come to those in Canada.

I'm a fan of the Szechuan Express outlets (owned by the same folks as Szechuan Szechuan, which is a decent Westernized Chinese place in First Canadian Place--not just Szechuan.) There's one in Royal Bank Plaza, one in Bay Adelaide Centre, and one in FCP (although if you're going to FCP, just go in and order takeout at the main restaurant--they usually have some lunch specials.) Decent chicken balls, quite good sweet and sour pork, ginger beef, and lemon chicken, and tasty spring rolls. And the food has flavour, unlike Manchu Wok's.

Peking Express on Parliament. They appear consistentnly busy and have the classic retro menu. Unfortunately they don't use those orange rectangular boxes with the space on top to check off chicken balls/egg rolls/fried shrimp and being a Chinese food purist, I refuse to eat chicken balls served in any other kind of container!

Last edited:
Dunno about chicken balls, but places like House of Gourmet on Dundas make great fried rice. (Fried rice can be relatively authentic and still be popular with the fake chinese food lovers.)

In the Gerrard street chinatown, there is a Chinese bake shop that sells 25 cent eggrolls.

Ya, when it comes to fried rice, I like the authentic stuff and the Canadian Chinese versions.
I hate when they put peas and carrots in it though. Gross!

Has anyone tried Made in China on Yonge?

One of my favourite meals in Toronto (thanks, Torontoist!):

http://torontoist.com/2011/11/spice-city-toronto-delicious-spinning-meat-of-mysterious-origin/

20111104spicecityeltrompo.jpg

Back