677     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     0 

Wings and Wheels and Downsview Park

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Avro Lancaster that just flew over my house reminded me that this weekend is Wings and Wheels at Downsview Park. I've attended a few year back, where I exhibited my vintage Triumph motorcycle. It's a great event, with the Toronto Aerospace Museum on full display. Plus there are dozens of visiting jets and prop planes, including CF-18s from the Canadian forces, privately owned MiGs, etc.

I imagine once the area is developed the airfield will close, which will be a shame.

Anyone been to the museum before ? I know its a lot smaller then most of the other air/space museums (in Ottawa for example and the like). But is it worth the visit nonetheless ?

Anyone been to the museum before ? I know its a lot smaller then most of the other air/space museums (in Ottawa for example and the like). But is it worth the visit nonetheless ?

I've been a number of times, and my husband donated his father's papers and books to them (he worked on the Avro Arrow). The highlight of the museum is definitely the Arrow replica. They are also restoring the Lanc that used to be stuck up on a pole down by the lakeshore. The museum really has a Toronto focus right now--most of what's there has a direct link to de Havilland or some of the other local aerospace companies, or to Toronto history (I believe they have a piece of the Nimrod that crashed into the lake during the CNE airshow a number of years ago). It's worth visiting--but don't expect glitzy displays; they're really only getting started building what they'd like to have there eventually.

Back