News   Apr 18, 2024
 575     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

TTC: Wellesley station second entrance

TTC issued a tender last week for the second entrance/exit to Wellesley station - presumably for the design (not clear though).

http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments PP/T11PE11726.html

I thought this was supposed to be at Dundonald street - though the timing is interesting given the progress on the 501 Yonge Street project between Maitland and Alexander ... though I don't know how that would work given most of Wellseley station is north of Wellesley.

If the 501 Yonge project wanted to connect to Wellesley station, presumably they would need to connect to each platform individually, as the concourse level is at-grade. This is the same problem that Ryerson is facing with Dundas Station (ie "how do you connect to both platforms when you're on one side of the station?").

Personally, I think 501 Yonge would be better off connecting to College station, at least then they could connect into the north wall of the concourse level (which would also provide underground access to College Park).

OK....bear with me...

I don't usually get confuzzled around here.....

But I followed the link..........I didn't see any project description, or address..... how do we arrive at the conclusion this is no longer on Dundonald?

Am I missing something really obvious?

(if so, my apologies)

As a further curiosity..........I went though the normal page for 'Current Tenders' over at the Materials and Procurement page of the TTC....a didn't this posted (as of 10min ago)...

Obviously that link is active....but what section of the TTC site is this posted on???

But I followed the link..........I didn't see any project description, or address..... how do we arrive at the conclusion this is no longer on Dundonald?
I don't think anyone has arrived at the conclusion it still isn't on Dundonald. I certainly assume it is. The timing is interesting, that's all. But I wouldn't read anything into it, unless someone knows differently.

As a further curiosity..........I went though the normal page for 'Current Tenders' over at the Materials and Procurement page of the TTC....a didn't this posted (as of 10min ago)...

Obviously that link is active....but what section of the TTC site is this posted on???
Well that is interesting. It was showing up there, this morning! I wonder what that's about.

I don't think anyone has arrived at the conclusion it still isn't on Dundonald. I certainly assume it is. The timing is interesting, that's all. But I wouldn't read anything into it, unless someone knows differently.

Ahhh. I misread the speculation as something more, my bad.

I asked, because I was on a Jane's Walk led by a City Planner (this year) and we went past and covered this project (still on Dundonald).

He discussed how it took some negotiating w/TTC to first get this to be an entrance and exit, then to compensate for the trees they will be removing (this is to be sited in front of the building that sits on top of Wellesley Stn.) by making a green roof.

The building will connect to both platforms as I understand it.

This can be done here, because the station is entirely east of Yonge.

Where as with Dundas, the station is literally under Yonge, which means you can't access both tracks from same side of the street, without a mezzanine (which can't be done at Dundas as the station is too close to the surface); or by building an access-way under the tracks, as was done to connect Eaton Centre to the Nortbound track @ Dundas.

Sounds to me like that is confirmation that the location is unchanged. I'll remove the speculation in my original post.

I assume the new entrance would be a new small building in that parkette on the north side of Dundonald then?

Seems ironic that TTC has to compensate for trees in a park that was only created because that's where they built the subway in the first place.

Now if only some minor cosmetic changes could be made to improve this eyesore on Wellesley Street.

Sounds to me like that is confirmation that the location is unchanged. I'll remove the speculation in my original post.

I assume the new entrance would be a new small building in that parkette on the north side of Dundonald then?

Seems ironic that TTC has to compensate for trees in a park that was only created because that's where they built the subway in the first place.

Nope.

Southside, directly on the front yard of the Apartment complex. (Technically still TTC land, as the apartment on land leased from the TTC)

From the same walk...the second park up ....err, the middle park in that row on Yonge, there is negotiation on reducing/eliminating the Green P spaces, to grow the park, as part of approving an increase in height for the Green P garage on Charles.

Now if only some minor cosmetic changes could be made to improve this eyesore on Wellesley Street.

What shape is the garage in, anyway? Wouldn't be surprised if it undergoes a complete (and design-conscientious, at that) rebuild...

If the 501 Yonge project wanted to connect to Wellesley station, presumably they would need to connect to each platform individually, as the concourse level is at-grade. This is the same problem that Ryerson is facing with Dundas Station (ie "how do you connect to both platforms when you're on one side of the station?").

Personally, I think 501 Yonge would be better off connecting to College station, at least then they could connect into the north wall of the concourse level (which would also provide underground access to College Park).

Is there any inkling that 501 would be connecting to either Wellesley or College? Havent seen it mentioned in its thread anywhere...

Is there any inkling that 501 would be connecting to either Wellesley or College? Havent seen it mentioned in its thread anywhere...

It wouldn't be uncommon for major condo projects to want a direct underground connection to the closest subway station, granted it is more common for office projects.

It wouldn't be uncommon for major condo projects to want a direct underground connection to the closest subway station, granted it is more common for office projects.

agreed...just wondering if its actually in the plans or just something you brought up yourself...personally I think all of these buildings should be connected to the subway when possible...

agreed...just wondering if its actually in the plans or just something you brought up yourself...personally I think all of these buildings should be connected to the subway when possible...

I don't think they've gotten into that much detail yet, so that was just my speculation. I would certainly think they would try to go for the underground access though, it's just whether the TTC will allow it, or if it's even feasible within a certain budget.

To connect 501 Yonge to College would require a 600 foot tunnel down the middle of Yonge street. Connecting to Wellesley could be done with a shorter tunnel under the parking lot south of the station, but that would get you to the southbound platform only, so you'd have to go up into the station for the northbound, or build a passageway under the tracks. The cost-benefit ratio of any of these schemes puts them in the realm of fantasy. A great portion of the residents of a building on this site would choose it because they work downtown and don't want to rely on transit for their daily commute. And it's just a block or two to the subway if they do. Not going to happen.

Back