News   Mar 28, 2024
 141     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Canada 2011 National Election Information Wanted...

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: I have been absent from UT for some time and after seeing a CTV news report on the 2011 Election on our local cable outlet here on LI I thought that the easiest way would be to just ask the knowledgeable UT members here...

I recall that when the last election was held someone posted an interactive map of all
of Canada's Ridings/Districts showing the results for each...

Where is the Green Party seat located?

The Bloc Quebecois losing all but four seats to the NDP was quite interesting...Does that hinder the separatist movement as I feel it does?

Will the NDP and Liberal Parties merge like the Reform and Progressive Conservatives
have in recent years? It is an interesting thought...

In closing I will thank everyone in advance for any help and I now know how much I miss the UT site...

Long Island Mike

Will the NDP and Liberal Parties merge like the Reform and Progressive Conservatives have in recent years?
Both parties have made that clear that it won't happen. It's something the press like to make up stories about ... but how could it happen? The two parties are very different. The Liberals have more in common with the Conservatives than the NDP.

Lib./NDP merger: Very unlikely. As already mentioned, many Liberals would vote Conservative before NDP. The situation is not parallel to the Reform Party and old Progressive Conservatives who were much more alike.

Implications for separatism: My take on it is that hard-line separatism has been effectively dead for some time now. Part of the reason for the NDP resurgence in Quebec, apparently, is that the BQ made more noise this time about explicitly supporting separatism than they had in prior elections. In a time of recession particuarly, some people found that a bit scary. There has also have been a feeling that they had simply overstayed their weloome. Duceppe looked a bit tired.

Everyone: Thanks for the info-I have to understand more how Canada's political parties stand on the "political spectrum" and how much they despite their names are NOT like the parties in the USA...especially Canada's Liberal and New Democratic Parties...

As a comparison in New York State we have a Conservative Party which is right of center and a left of center Liberal Party...I believe NYS is one of the only states
with parties like this outside the Republicans and Democrats...

Their web pages are: www.cpnys.org and www.liberalparty.org for further inquiry...

Long Island Mike

Back