Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Amenities to Take Centre Stage at Bazis and Plaza's 1 Yorkville
ALSO
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CN Tower to offer walk on the outside

You do know that the CN tower was built as a communications transmission tower first and foremost and the observation deck, etc were the extra 'add-ons', right?
    Well, I have to disagree with you on that one. The original Metro Centre proposal that produced the tower were for a tall communications tower, with three open-legged supports that sported an observation deck. According to the architect Ned Baldwin, the public observation elements were conceived from the start as integrated with the telecommunication aspect. In "Accidental City", Robert Fulford mentions that the president of CN at the time signed off on the design of the tower with the instructions that it was to have a revolving restaurant and indoor and outdoor observation deck. What is now the 'Sky Pod' evolved out of the design as the initial height requirements grew. But none of the building's elements that we now see were ever absent from any serious basic proposal. The tower was never intended to be void of public space, say, in the manner of a guyed mast.

The tower's streamlining did not just serve an aesthetic purpose: designers were aware that Moscow's Ostankino Tower (at that time the world's tallest) had a severe icing problem. In the winter, enormous chunks of ice were said to plummet from it, as the exterior was (and is) bristling with tons of exposed antennae and girders. The CN Tower's smooth surfaces - stainless steel, teflon, radome - were specifically engineered to avoid this.
    Last edited by CanadianNational; 2011-May-11 at 23:46.

Wow, definitely surprising. I didn't expect this to be so popular!

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...by-high-demand

CN Tower EdgeWalk overwhelmed by high demand

Published On Wed Jun 01 2011
    Dan Robson
    Staff Reporter

Terrifying heights aside, the most challenging part of the CN Tower’s new EdgeWalk appears to be just getting a ticket.

Walking around a ledge at 356 metres above sanity is, apparently, highly appealing.

Tickets sales for the CN Tower’s new attraction kicked off on Wednesday to the continuous drone of a busy tone.
    Kennedy called two dozen times, only to receive a busy signal again and again. The EdgeWalk website is not set up to process online orders.

....“It’s brutal,” Kennedy said. “I was willing to wait on hold for 30, 60 minutes. This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing
    Jack Robinson, the CN Tower’s chief operating officer, said the first day of sales had been terrific. He didn’t specify numbers.

“We are thrilled with the response” he said. “Due to the huge response, customers may experience some delays in getting through, but we ask them to keep trying. It’s worth the wait.”
    “This is such a cool thing, but they’re just not ready to take the demand I guess,” she said. “If you have an international attraction, you’ve got to have international customer service.”

EdgeWalk opens Aug. 1.

3. Default

I'm not remotely surprised. This will be a huge draw for years to come

4. Default

For those interested, I've written up a big batch of context on EdgeWalk at: www.vanishingpoint.ca/edge-walking. On rooftops, climbing cranes, and the ways that we view and participate in the city.

Interesting article. I wish there were more public spaces in TO for viewing the city from above.

I wonder if the Edge-walk railings will come down over the winter months at least, they don't look very good.

6. Default

can someone get some pictures of this for those of us who dont often see the CN tower?

First look (video) of the edgewalk

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/06/a...dgewalk_video/

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    awesome thanks! I understand why the netting is there but its too bad that it has to be black and barely see through...

Quote Originally Posted by StCatharinesCitizen View Post
    awesome thanks! I understand why the netting is there but its too bad that it has to be black and barely see through...
    The netting is only for the construction phase to prevent tools or material from going over the edge.

Made it easier for people to view it...

Looks wild!
    I'm not sure if I would be able to do it though lol.

11. Default

The netting is only for the construction phase to prevent tools or material from going over the edge.
    Will the poles which hold the netting be taken down then?

^ Yes, but I'm dismayed at how the new ring has completely alternated the aesthetic of the tower. This is a city icon and it's been defaced. It's a love/hate thing for me because I'm happy that the tower has found a new life in this attraction but I hope that it's a passing fad and soon enough they remove it.

So does one just walk around it on the roof? I was under the impression from the initial promo that one could lean out over the edge with the harness as a restraint

The zoom on my camera sucks. Taken earlier today.

Thinking about these things from a construction perspective, the rails holding the netting look temporary and will likely be removed. If you're attached to a travel restraint, which is secured to the top rail, then I do not see the need to have them around. If this is the case, they're likely removable, so that they can be replaced should they ever need to go back up and do work on EdgeWalk.

I think that the top rail actually does a remarkable job of blending in with the profile of the tower.

Here is what it looked like before (June 13);

Stuck out like a sore thumb. Much different story now. I'm impressed.
    Last edited by wopchop; 2011-Jun-17 at 19:40.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast