News   Mar 28, 2024
 297     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 322     0 

Tourist looking for advice!

lookingforhelp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum - I didn't see a category for tourists. My girlfriend and I are taking a 3 day trip to Toronto in a few days and still haven't decided on a hotel. However, we have widdled it down to 2 and are looking for your advice.

Hotel 1: Courtyard Toronto Downtown, 475 Yonge Street

Hotel 2: Grand Hotel Toronto, 225 Jarvis St

We are going to spend most of our time walking and shopping at the local shops, going to the CN tower, a play at the princess of whales theatre...etc. Are both of these hotels in good areas? That's our main concern. We want to be able to walk to our hotel at midnight without being afraid.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

The Grand Hotel is in a really depressed location. 5 years from now, the condos announced in the vicinity will have transformed the neighbourhood, but for the moment it wouldn't be a pleasant experience to walk out the front door.

Le Germain is a nice hotel near your preferred destinations (not Le Germain at Maple Leaf Square, the other one). It's probably a little pricier than the ones you mentioned but really good - I used to stay regularly at their Montreal hotel and always liked it, and I've heard good things about this one from Montreal friends. Another downtown option would be the Hyatt on King Street West. It's very close to the Princess of Wales Theatre, Bell Lightbox, King Street restaurants, CN Tower, Rogers Centre etc.

You don't really have to worry about crime. I suggested avoiding the Grand because everything around it is so poor, shabby and pedestrian-unfriendly, not because I think you're likely to get mugged when you walk out the door.

For shopping you might want to explore Yorkville and Bloor Street between Yonge and Avenue Road. It's around half a dozen subway stops north of the downtown area you mentioned.

Hey lookingforhelp, you are right, wrong forum, nevertheless, of these 2 choices, you would definitely be better off at the Courtyard - even though Yonge St. can be a bit seedy, it is much better than the area around Jarvis & Dundas....

/just sayin,...

I agree with the other 2 posters. Also, for the areas you are talking about walking around, you will save about 10 minutes each way going to the various locations.

If prices are similar, I would opt for Courtyard.

Enjoy your 3 day visit.

cheers.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like Jarvis/Dundas isn't in a great area.

I noticed one of you said that Yonge St can get seedy at night? That makes me a bit nervous to stay at the Courtyard. Could you explain further?

We don't want to spend more than $180 per night so that does limit us.

Have you looked into the Cosmopolitan at 8 Colborne Lane (practically at Yonge)? A friend of mine has enjoyed her stays there when in town for work. She has managed to get some pretty good rates and the place is more of a boutique feel than the larger chains. Location is just a block from the King Street subway station, so access to subway, streetcars on King and Queen, access to shops, not far from the Harbourfront and some of the areas you are likely to visit. Wine bar off the lobby or great pub a block away (PJ O'Brien's) if you just want to unwind informally after a day of shopping. 24 hour Metro store just a few blocks away in the St. Lawrence Market if you want to be frugal and just buy groceries for the room. Just a suggestion. Enjoy your time in Toronto!

The Grand Hotel is in a really depressed location. 5 years from now, the condos announced in the vicinity will have transformed the neighbourhood, but for the moment it wouldn't be a pleasant experience to walk out the front door.

Le Germain is a nice hotel near your preferred destinations (not Le Germain at Maple Leaf Square, the other one). It's probably a little pricier than the ones you mentioned but really good - I used to stay regularly at their Montreal hotel and always liked it, and I've heard good things about this one from Montreal friends. Another downtown option would be the Hyatt on King Street West. It's very close to the Princess of Wales Theatre, Bell Lightbox, King Street restaurants, CN Tower, Rogers Centre etc.

You don't really have to worry about crime. I suggested avoiding the Grand because everything around it is so poor, shabby and pedestrian-unfriendly, not because I think you're likely to get mugged when you walk out the door.

For shopping you might want to explore Yorkville and Bloor Street between Yonge and Avenue Road. It's around half a dozen subway stops north of the downtown area you mentioned.

I just checked out the Hyatt on King Street West. That came out to the same price as the Courtyard. Would you recommend that Hyatt over Courtyard?

Hey lookingforhelp, you are right, wrong forum, nevertheless, of these 2 choices, you would definitely be better off at the Courtyard - even though Yonge St. can be a bit seedy, it is much better than the area around Jarvis & Dundas....

/just sayin,...

I'm really curios what you mean be seedy here ?
A few homeless people (few is relative, more then two :) ... yes.
The scott mission (a few more homeless people) ... yes.
A couple subsided living apartments (I guess these folks can't be homeless :) ... yes.

Dangerous ? I'm never felt it, at any time of the night!

Around Jarvis and Dundas, yea, that I'd call seedy - I think dangerous is a bit of stretch though, honestly other then the seediness there aren't too many folks around there anyway - maybe that contributes to the scary factor.

taal, hmm, I never used the word dangerous, did I?.....

taal, hmm, I never used the word dangerous, did I?.....

true :) Probably read into that a little too much.

And I did agree to seedy to a certain degree but then again, that strip of Yonge isn't really too seedy at all, it's really further north a little. Also seedy can imply character to some here.

Anyway, I recomend walking all the way Yonge to Bloor (and keep going north for a bit if you can!).

Actually, if the weather is nice, I'd honestly recommend walking all the way up Yonge street till around Yonge and Eglinton !

You'll get to see some of the different neighborhoods we have (Yonge and Eglinton / Yonge and Bloor / Yonge and St. Claire). Also, just about the entire strip is full of retail.

$180/night for a room at the Courtyard? You don't need to spend that much. You can get it for 1/3rd of that price on Priceline. Hell, you can get a 4 star (like the Hyatt or Intercontinental) for like 100 bucks. Go here and see what other people have been bidding: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=166& then with the money you'll save treat yourselves to some awesome meals.

As for downtown you should have no worries about feeling safe. You guys will be fine.

Back