News   Mar 28, 2024
 330     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 344     0 

Toronto Gets A New Outdoor Concert Venue

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto gets a new outdoor concert venue to watch the sun go down, on Echo Beach, I watch the sun go down...

Toronto gets a new outdoor concert venue
Molson-Amphitheatre.jpg

AUX.TV

Toronto’s behemoth outdoor music stadium, the Molson Amphitheatre, is getting a little friend—owner Live Nation has announced that they’ll be turning a next-door converted outdoor volleyball court into a 4,000-person capacity venue. It’ll be named after legendary Toronto band Martha and the Muffins’ hit single “Echo Beach.â€

Local alt-weekly Eye reported today on their website that the venue will open on June 3, getting into the summer concert season game with the return of everyone’s new favourite cred-popster, Robyn, with Toronto’s own Diamond Rings as support.

Echo Beach intends to fill a void between the approximately 16,000-person capacity of the Amphitheatre and 3,000 approximation of the next choice for acts of a certain size, Sound Academy. Also, it sucks getting to the Sound Academy. It’s safe to assume that getting to Echo Beach will suck less.

How is it going to suck less? Still gotta take a streetcar or GO train to Exhibition. The walk is about 15 mins from there from what I remember. It's not a place one can walk to from downtown.

Sound Academy has a shuttle bus for free from Union. Also there is a TTC bus from Union that drops you off a 1 minute walk from the venue.

How is it going to suck less? Still gotta take a streetcar or GO train to Exhibition. The walk is about 15 mins from there from what I remember. It's not a place one can walk to from downtown.

Don't you see? It's supposed to take a while to get there. Echo Beach... far away in time.

Sound Academy has a shuttle bus for free from Union. Also there is a TTC bus from Union that drops you off a 1 minute walk from the venue.

How is it a place one can not walk to from downtown? Its really not that far.

In any case, is Echo Beach opening tomorrow?

Just checked and it would appear Robyn is playing at Echo Beach tomorrow

Last edited:
Cool first gig, Robyn is pretty decent. Does anyone know if there's an official website for Echo Beach yet? I haven't been able to find much, nor have I found any information on upcoming shows. Ticketmaster says there's nothing scheduled, which seems kind of odd.

There is, but I can't find it. All it said is that it would be updated, but that was before the official show. They don't seem to be trying very hard to promote it. Unfortunate that we get a cool venue, and it sits unused.

Can you actually sit at this venue or is it standing room only. They keep saying it "lets you get close to your favourite artists" which seems to me to be code for standing in a big pen?

Whoever thought it was a good idea to build a venue on sand is a moron. Hopefully a band I like never plays here, as it is just terrible.

Can you actually sit at this venue or is it standing room only. They keep saying it "lets you get close to your favourite artists" which seems to me to be code for standing in a big pen?

Standing room only. In order to get close your fave artists you need to stand in a big pen of sand. It really is a ridiculous set up for a concert venue.

Pics of the venue here http://www.echobeach.ca/

If they were smart they could have built a small concert pavilion with the same seating capacity.
scene3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were smart they could have built a small concert pavilion with the same seating capacity.

There's already the Molson Amphitheater for that. Its not as if any symphonies are going to be playing at Echo Beach - so far its been host to a couple electronic music festivals, various bands, etc...y'know, things where people want to dance and otherwise move around...not sit and stare while listening to music for an hour.

And the sand certainly makes it "interesting". While I prefer a solid floor, the beach party feel it gets is a nice change of pace.

[video=youtube;PIVC_u-LuwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVC_u-LuwE[/video]

Back