307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 325     0 

Jeepers, I'm a Dipper?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In Cabbagetown where I live everyone votes like sheep for the Liberals. Bob Rae, perhaps our second worst premier after Harris can do no wrong here and wins hands down every Federal election. I will never vote for Bob Rae. However voting Conservative in a downtown riding is a vote wasted since there will never be enough folks to beat Rae's Liberal followers.

So, I'm voting NDP this time around. And not just to stop Rae, but also because Layton seems to be the only leader with any scrap of honestly and integrity. Harper will say and do anything, and his wasteful multi-billion $ purchase of the F-35s (when much cheaper options like the F-18/E Super Hornet will more than suffice for our NORAD commitments) and his dreadful treatment of Toronto during the G20 means I can't vote Conservative - as I have so done in every election after PM Martin left - voted Liberal before than as I liked Bill Graham and Finance Minister Martin on the economy). I can't vote for the Liberals now since that would be voting for Rae, and besides that party really needs to get its sh#t together - honestly is this the party that gave us so much of our nation's identity? Where are those big picture, big idea guys now?

So, I'm voting NDP and they might very well win in Toronto Centre-Rosedale, and I'd be okay with that.

Re: Bob Rae. I was a tiny nerdy kid at the time, but school me: what makes him so terrible? Looking back he seems to be the only politician in recent history that actually stood up to the public sector unions. The Rae Day strategy cut 2 billion dollars from Ontario's deficit without layoffs.

I think a stronger NDP federally could be a very good thing, helping to balance the rightward swing we've been on for the past decade or longer. Plus Layton is probably the only leader who understands the importance of urban issues as they relate to the strength of the Canadian economy.

I had the chance today to drive a number of streets in the Willowdale area, a bit west of Yonge (Ken Dryden's riding). I realize that lawn signs are a poor predictor, but it was amazing to see the number of signs for the Conservative challenger (Adler) in that riding. I haven't seen that before. There have been hints in the papers that Dryden could be in trouble. Dryden seems, to me, to be one of the good guys and I'd be sorry to see him defeated, but I think it's a real possibility.

So, I'm voting NDP and they might very well win in Toronto Centre-Rosedale, and I'd be okay with that.

I doubt the NDP can win Toronto Centre. I don't think its even on their radar right now. Support for the NDP would need to skyrocket in Toronto for this to happen. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that they win in every riding where they're even remotely competitive (Parkdale-High Park, Beaches-East York, Davenport, and York South-Weston), they probably still wouldn't be able to unseat Rae. Right now I think they'd be happy to hold on to Trinity-Spadina, and overjoyed to take back Parkdale-High Park.

I find it downright bizarre that the Conservative Party would even enter consideration in this context. This is something that has always confused me about this country. Western Canada, in particular.

Regarding Bob Rae -- I understand the inclination towards vindictive opposition as a result of his policies in the '90s (disclaimer, I was around 11 during Rae Days and I do not vote with my wallet). I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it, and I suspect the situation is very similar in the west (subsitute 'percieved policy failures' with scandals, I guess).

Last edited:
I loved Rae Days! Meant extra days off in high school. The teacher's hated the idea--but really, they're paid enough and all retired with rather juicy pensions.

I would say that the NDP and PC's rep' old rural Canada the best, and that explains their appeal vs the Lib's in Western Canada.

I loved Rae Days! Meant extra days off in high school. The teacher's hated the idea--but really, they're paid enough and all retired with rather juicy pensions.

I would say that the NDP and PC's rep' old rural Canada the best, and that explains their appeal vs the Lib's in Western Canada.

Right, but what confuses me is their tendancy to vote NPD/Lib provincially and Conservative federally. Widespread bipolar disorder? I suppose it has more to do with representation than ideology?

"Boo-hoo, I don't care about abortion, pay attention to meeeeee." -the west

It has to do with the fact many urban dwellers of the West have a much closer relationship with small town and rural living, many being only recent arrivals to city living. They'd vote with their bibles in hand..or whomever the local collectives endorsed.

No need to make fun of Westerners--Sask for example is a great place to live and the rural life is what kick-started NA's growth.

I was concerned, at the beginning of the campaign, that the growing number of young right-wing voters living in condoland south of Queen might be a threat to the Blessed Olivia, a progressive voice for our city. However, the apparent strengthening of NDP support suggests that she'll be safe.

Wouldn't "right-wing voters" just throw their vote away on a Conservative or independent candidate, rather than help whatshername?

Yes, the Blessed Olivia does less well in condoland tower polls, where he two mid-19th century paries have stronger appeal.

That's strange, because Adam Vaughan does very well here. His ward includes quite a bit more than just condos, but I'm under the impression that he has a lot of support from condo dwellers. I also wouldn't have considered them to be conservative -- at least they won't be for long if they continue to live here.

Last edited:
That's strange, because Adam Vaughan does very well here. His ward includes quite a bit more than just condos, but I'm under the impression that he has a lot of support from condo dwellers. I also wouldn't have considered them to be conservative -- at least they won't be for long if they continue to live here.

Well, they're "conservative" enough to opt for Grit over NDP. And keep in mind that Adam Vaughan, being of a Liberal family, straddles the "Chow-Innes" divide in his appeal...

Back